PDA

View Full Version : Outboard vs. Jet

randu15
09-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I have a co-worker that is stuck in buying a new boat for himself and family. He wants valuable and understandble information that will help make his decision easier. He has narrowed it down to a 20' Alumaweld. Now he wants to know if he should make it a O/B or jet. He wants to fish the upper American, Feather, Sac River and delta. Which would serve him better. Help him out and he thanks everyone in advance.

sellhomes2fish
09-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I had the same dilema (for about a minute) then settled on a prop set-up because of the water I fish (lakes, rivers, bay and ocean). If your co-worker stays in the delta or further up I suppose a jet would be great. When I go on guided trips on the Sacramento and the Feather they're using jets. I understand they are great for family adventures too.

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
My dad has a jet on our 20' Alumaweld Intruder and we have no complaints.

Silver_Streak
09-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I've got an imboard jet in my '01 Jetcraft Yucon (old style Jetcraft). Jets are great, Props are great. I've had both. The problem is that there are benefits and disadvantages to each. Your friend has to ask himself what kind of fishing he sees himself doing. One problem with jets are a shallow degree deadrise (usually 12 deg. or less). If on a lake in choppy water, you will feel it, rough ride. Props can run through chop better because of a higher deadrise. If you run a jet in dirty water (a lot of leaves, etc.) it can clog the intake grate. To only run in 6-8inches of water you have to be on plane going 25-30mph! Therefore, you better know the water you're travelling pretty well, or you might have a problem. >:( Also, jets are harder to steer at lower speeds (no skeg/rudder). If it's your first boat, get a prop, not a jet. Don't get me wrong, jets are great. But I think a prop is a better all around boat. Either way, go with a quality boat manufacturer, North River, Alumaweld, Design Concept for the heavy guage alaum fishing boat. Hope this helps a little. Remember, this is my opinion, your sure to get others! Good luck, Tim

1_shoshone
09-16-2005, 06:01 PM
I currently have a 21 foot northriver commander,I take this boat almost weekly up the feather river with no complaints. It took me a little time to get the hang of this inboard jet,but once I did I can maneuver it as good as a prop. I had an alumaweld with an outboard jet it also handled well.I like my northriver it has become an all around boat for me and my family.

Brettski
09-16-2005, 07:17 PM
If you get a OB prop, You can get a jet lower unit for $1,500 from Mercury that is not hard to switch over as needed.Just a thought. Brettski

jethrobfsn
09-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Thanks for postin 4 me Bobert. Thanks to all of you sniffers for your comments and input. This place is a great sorce of info. Bad part is when you read about all the good fishing and have to go to work. >:( So to give all of you a little more questions, how about a 20' alumaweld stryker with a 175 salt water and havin the blower attachment? Once again thanks.

jethrobfsn
09-17-2005, 06:45 AM
that was a prop most of the time and blower for those few times for above Colusa