PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lights

steveareno
09-07-2005, 08:46 PM
When I brake the trailer lights go off, only when the lights are on. Everything else works fine. When the lights are not on and I hit the brake, both of the dimmer of the two filaments light. The bright filaments will not light at all. Turn signals work fine, and running lights are fine until I brake when the lights are on, both lights go off. Any ideas out there, Thanks, Steveareno.

fence_man
09-07-2005, 09:02 PM
you have a bad ground. check from truck to trailer then lights to trailer

drstressor
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Yep. It's the ground. Happens all the time.

Mickey_Thomas
09-08-2005, 06:27 AM
My new trailer has the close (no leak) lights, when mine started working like that I noticed that my tail lights (which were supposed to be leak proof) were filled 1/2 way up with water ??? I took it in since they were still under warrenty ::) they replaced all the lights and so far no problems. If you don't have those type of lights it's probably the ground ;D like Doc said ;)

HighSierra_Drifter
09-08-2005, 07:39 AM
If you get tired of messing with grounds to the frame of the trailer, go buy some wire and run grounds from your tow vehicle. Life will be much nicer ;)

Drifter

drstressor
09-08-2005, 07:50 AM
That is the best solution. Use a 4-pole connector plug and run all trailer light ground wires to a common. Many trailers are set up with a connection to the vehicle ground, but they ground each light to the trailer frame. These connections always fail due to corrosion over time. Also, check the connector plug for corrosion frequently. Some installations use plugs or splices inside of the hollow frame. These are often the source of problems.

Every few years, just replace the entire trailer wiring system. I have to do that now on my own trailer after 7 years of neglect. It's too much trouble trying to locate all the bad grounds, broken connections, and shorts.

steveareno
09-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey guys it was the ground alright, thanks a bunch.
Steveareno is rollin. Gratzi and chow.

Empire
09-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Does anyone use the LED's? They are real bright.

I had to replace a "sealed" lamp because it was 1/2 filled with water. I thought about the 100,000 hour LEDs, but at $30 a pop I was afraid they would get stolen at the parking lot.

fence_man
09-10-2005, 08:09 AM
I have led lights on mine there great

drstressor
09-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm switching to LED lights the next time my trailer lighting starts to act up. It won't be long. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
They came with my North River, they sure are bright ;D

Off_The_Hook
09-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Mine came with LED's. They are great. Aside from the original set filling with water, no problems. The guy at EZ Loader said they had a bad lot of them, and the problem has since been corrected. $30 bucks a pop is well worth it.