PDA

View Full Version : Small Offshore Boats

drstressor
09-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I got this link today in an e-mail from BoatersWorld today:

click here (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticView?storeId=10051&staticPage=%2Fetc%2Fconte nt%2Fbwarticles%2Fbw_feature_090905.html&langId=-1&catalogId=10051)

I thought that some of you folks might find the article of interest. I strongly agree with all of the recommendations. Particularly the modified V over a deep V and the high transom for small boats.

fishkiller
09-09-2005, 06:05 PM
8)thats a good one doc. 8)

Mickey_Thomas
09-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Good stuff Doc, I read every word ;) When I do decide to venture off shore you can bet it will be with another boat and on a flat day. I'll be shopping for a compass soon ;D any suggestions on a special kind?

Rusty_Hooks
09-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Printed this one for my son...real good stuff ;)

GCinGV
09-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Good stuff Doc.

Mickey,
For a compass I prefer a back read type opposed to a front read. With a front read the rosette is backwards (north on the rosette is facing south when youíre traveling north) and I find it confusing, or maybe itís just me. Most are the front read type though.
GC

MankinD
09-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info Doc. Still torn between the welded alum. w/top for comfort or the center console boats that give the flycaster in me plenty of casting room. Need more on-the-water testing. Until I can figure it all out, I'm stealing my brother's (crazy-naked-guy mankin) 18ft Bayliner Capri that's been parked at the parent's house in Carson City. Better to be on the water than on the shore ;D

Doug

drstressor
09-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Mick, I've had good luck with Richie Explorers back when I had "real" boats. They are relatively inexpensive and their dampening action works well so that you can still use the compass when you are running in rough water. When you get one, I'll show you how to "box" it to correct for magnetic interference.

GC, I agree that a flat card compass is more instinctive to use, but the type of compass to choose for a small powerboat depends on where it can be mounted. I had a nice flat card compass 3 boats ago because the dash was low enough for me to look down and read the heading. But I had to stand up to use the compass. This is OK on center console boats where you stand or lean while you are operating the boat. I would recommend a flat card compass for that application. However, if you operate the boat while seated, a front reading compass is often the only solution. I switched to a front read compass on my next to last boat. It took me over a year to get used to the damn thing! But I eventually did and I have a front reader on my 17' boat now.

Mickey_Thomas
09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
To much information ??? I guess I'll have to take you with me Doc for the purchase ;) How much are we talking about? do I have to tell my wife (get permission) or can I sneak it by her ;D ;D ;D

iwishtobe
09-10-2005, 06:10 PM
lets see. my lund was made for the great lakes.

i have been on the big pond/ponds.

yes, all seven seas and oceans.

thanks to the Never Again Volunteer Yourself!

(navy)

;D

CORN
09-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that link Doc. I guess there's truth to what my co-worker told me years ago. He's an ex-commercial fisherman and has owned numerous boats from 17 to over 50 foot long. He has bought and sold many different boats, but has only kept one: an older 17 foot Boston Whaler Montauk. I was surprised when he told me that he felt more safe in that boat than in all of the other boats he has owned, including 50 footers. He would tell me that he had all the control in the world with that boat, in the BIGGEST swells (20+ feet). He rode them all, on top, on the sides, etc. He felt that the boat rode better when it had 6 inches of water in it! I forgot which year, but he only liked the older hulls (pre-1977?).

After reading this article, I now realize that what he was telling me wasn't all BS.

GCinGV
09-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Doc,
Good point about the flat card type compass needing to be mounted low. Doesnít do you much good if you canít see it. I use to do a lot of land navigation (map and compass) before GPS and when I started boating I had a real tuff time with the backwards rosette thatís on most of flat card type. Made a few circles in the fog before I got use to it.
GC

DinoBlaster
09-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I wonder how a Klamath or Gregor boat would do in big waves anyone have opinions? DB ;D

Rusty_Hooks
09-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Check with Troutking after today...Hell have the FULL story

He has a 16' klamath with windsheild...I forget the model#

Not your typical 16 open

DinoBlaster
09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Check with Troutking after today...Hell have the FULL story

He has a 16' klamath with windsheild...I forget the model#

Not your typical 16 open

I'm looking to get something like this for Delta fishing ;D Thanks

drstressor
09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
The key to using a small aluminum boat off shore is to have a center or side console and a light but powerful engine. The 2 major factors are balance and responsiveness. If you steer from the tiller, there will be too much weight in the rear of the boat. The transom will be too low in the trough of a wave and the bow will get blown around by any sort of wind.

I have a 14' heavy gauge aluminum boat with a side console (after learning the hard way) and a 20 hp outboard that I used to take out into Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean for many years. You learn the "feel" of handling a small boat in big water over time. I remember a 14 mile crossing in 6'-8' wind waves and tide rips (that I would never do again). The trick is to quarter every wave and to chop the throttle just as you go through the crest and then power up in the trough for the next wave. We also once got a $100 fine after getting towed in by the Coasties for making a "hazardous voyage". We were out on the Atlantic on a perfectly calm day with 12' swells from a far off shore storm. I felt perfectly safe, but they wouldn't believe me. Actually, they didn't write up the violation until my dog peed on the pilot house door. ;D

My point is that a properly equipped small aluminum boat is safe to take off shore when the weather is perfect and the forecast calls for nothing moving in during your trip. But if I had to do everything I ever did in boats over again, the one thing I would emphasize is that you should never go offshore without another boat along in case something unexpected happens.