PDA

View Full Version : Question on Scotty swivel mounts

norcalfishslayer
09-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I just got a couple along with two Strongarm 30's. Got the first one mounted tonight, and it seems like there is alot of play or slack in the swivel mount. What I meen is when it is locked in one of the positions, I can swivel (or move it) about 1/4" each way. Is this normal for these mounts? Sure doesn't seem like they should do that, especially for what you have to pay for them. Thanks in advance for the info...

frank

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Ours seem to have that "play" as well. I think it's typical of the Scotty swivel mounts.

fishkiller
09-04-2005, 07:14 AM
8)I have fished scottys for a long time manul ones now electric and the swivel mounts have play yes but nothing to worry about. I think the play comes fromthe size bolt they give you to mount it with, they are tead small than holes in the mount.I believe the size bolt has to do with if you snag bottom with your weight the bolt are made to give before your boat gets damadged. 8)

Empire
09-04-2005, 07:14 AM
I have some play in there too, but it is not bothersome or a problem. If you look underneath the mount, you can see how it works. There is a metal pin attached to the lever, push down the lever and the metal pin slides out of one of 16 holes that keep in in position. Because the pin needs to slide in and out, the hole is bigger than the pin, giving some play in the arm.

djh
09-04-2005, 08:45 AM
FYI on Scotty swivel mounts: the four nuts on the underside that receive the rigger mounting bolts are plain nuts. Over time, they can (and will) come loose. I would strongly advise that you replace them with nylock nuts. I almost lost one rigger overboard two years ago due to these having worked loose.

norcalfishslayer
09-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks all for the info. I suspected that the play was something that was just going to be there, rather then a manufacturing problem.

Frank

plattj1
09-05-2005, 08:49 PM
How do they fish?

;D

norcalfishslayer
09-05-2005, 09:04 PM
How do they fish?

;D

We shall find out on Sunday, won't we! ;D