PDA

View Full Version : Help with elect. motor

csmusa
08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I just bougth a used 14 alum. boat and want to get an elect. trolling motor. What size, (lb. thrust) long or short shaft? I want to use on both lakes and rivers. Thanks SARGE

FishMischief
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
I would not use an electric as a main motor on a river. I don't know river boating well but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I would say 40lb thrust should do well in most conditions. You could probably get away with a 30lb thrust. The more the better!

BassFooler
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I dont know about using a trolling motor as your main propulsion out on the river... ??? If you get into a headwind and you dong have the thrust or your battery is low....you're kinda DONE. UNLESS.....you have a 2 battery setup and a good 50+ lb motor..as for lakes- a 40 would move you just fine.

csmusa
08-30-2005, 05:34 AM
I should have stated that I have a 9.9 Merc outboard now, just wanted to know what it might take to troll on the river with an elect. if needed. Also why all the different shaft length's? I've had several boats in past years, I/O and outboards but small boats with elect. is new for me Thanks Sarge

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Sarge, 14' aluminum can leave a lot of variables. I've seen 14'ers that when loaded, had about 3"'s of freeboard as well as stouter 14'ers that look like they have 20"'s of freeboard. That is the reason for the different shaft length. I have a 45 lbs Motorguide on my scanoe and love it.

csmusa
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the info, I think I can at least find what I think I need now. I'll check with the boards for some help on fishing for trout and kokanee in the lakes around here. Thanks again. Sarge(MSG USA Ret.)

rho
08-31-2005, 01:15 PM
A general rule is 5 lbs of thrust per 300-400 lbs of weight. I would use the 300 in the equation for safety sake. Of course YMMV.

Waterworks
08-31-2005, 08:34 PM
csmusa,

Trout might be more sound sensitive than bass. I believe you can catch just as many fish by trolling with your 9.9 horse. I used to troll with my electric but became frustrated by the change in speeds due to the battery running down. I have caught some bass trolling with my 15 horse turned as low as it will go. Then at least the speed is the same all day. But the noise gets to me after awhile sometimes and the electric is better for my ears, but the fish are not worried about a distant motor as they hear them all the time anyway.

Fishmeister
09-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Electrics are great. Buy as much thrust as you can afford. Even in a small aluminum a 24 volt system will give you better performance, such as longer trolling on a charge and will pretty much eliminate the change in speed as the day wears on. An autopilot is great and well worth the extra expense as well as the copilot (wireless control)and always a bow mount. You'll get no noise, no exhaust fumes, straight tracking and great speed control. Would never go back to gas trolling except for speed trolling , 2.5 + MPH