PDA

View Full Version : Cataraft or Drift Boat for the American?

PlugROCKSTAR
08-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Fished section of the Rogue River and Applegate River last week on a Cataraft and i really like the way it handle. I manuvered the boat well for the first time. I really love boat boats but i can only own one or the other. :'( This will be mainly used on the American, Feather and Upper Sac or when i go back up North to Rogue and Applegate.

here's a picture of a Cataraft. This is thesame exact model i was on.
http://www.fishcraft.com/assets/Super15RedBg-Tan.jpg

Durb
08-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Cool boat 916. *Are you asking which one would be better for the waters you mentioned ? *I think either one would be fine. Sharp rocks may do a number on the blow up ones though. How many people do you want to take with you? *I have never fished or paddled the one you have a pic of. *I did own a *16' aluminum Kofler drift boat for a short time which I fished on the amerian. I liked it for the most part. There is a learning curve to paddling the drift boats. *I fish by myself or one other person most of the time. *I was real close to buying a small drift boat pram in the 10' length with a nice rocker that I felt would be perfect for 1-2 people for the waters around here. * One of the ones I was looking Spring creek prams. Tailwater and hopper

PlugROCKSTAR
08-28-2005, 06:33 PM
This boat handled Sharp Rocks like a champ. The upper Rogue River had plenty of very sharp rocks which the locals called Can Openers. This boat will be mainly for the American, Feather, Upper Sac, Klamath, Rogue and Applegate River.

A.S.4
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Looks like a nice boat but i dont think drift boats or that are really practicall on the upper sac ???

SturgeonVirgin
08-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Looks like a nice boat but i dont think drift boats or that are really practicall on the upper sac ???

Either one should be fine bro, just make sure theres' room for me!

I loved having a drift boat; if given a chance I might do it again.

Reel_burner
08-31-2005, 01:38 AM
That inflatable has it's advantages but I sure wouldn't trade my drifter for one. The disadvantages that I see right off are a lack of freeboard and space to stand up and move about. It also appears to have a large footprint which causes more drag (more energy needed to oar the boat and a bigger anchor to hold it in the current) and the footprint is shaped like a rectangle making it harder to spin the boat so that you can pull in the right direction.

The up side is that you don't need a trailer or a launch ramp and is near impossible to sink with the multiple air chambers.

I would say that the resale value (if you could bear to part with it) would be much greater for a drift boat.

Chetco_Indian
08-31-2005, 06:48 AM
If you have a drift boat you can handle up to a 15 hp motor put you need a trailer.Once you get used to rowing the can opners and etc you will be able to row out of not so easy with a raft.The wind is a killer in a drift boat but a raft you will just give up trying to buck it.Resale on a drift boat is not bad and you can leave it outside not so on a rubber one .Both boats have a place If you were to float the upper Rogue rubber is the way to go all the rest 6061T6 aluminum .You will also need a trailer for the raft because it's REAL Pain to blow up at the launch ramp but you will meet new people if you try.

SuperDave
08-31-2005, 07:02 AM
Does the raft have a floor anchor set up like a drift boat? Do they both pivot turn with equal ease?

Silver_Streak
08-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Have you ever thought about a kayak? I own a jet boat and this guy fishing from a kayak was fishing in places I couldn't get too. I'm thinking of getting one so that I can fish easier, and closer to home at times. Another nice thing about them is that they don't take much room, and they are very easy to manuver around in the water. Just a thought! ;D