PDA

View Full Version : Electric trolling motor or kicker motor

trackertundra
08-23-2005, 07:22 PM
I currently use a trolling plate on my 115 hp four stroke and I want to either get an electric trolling motor with auto pilot or get a four stroke kicker for the back. If anybody has any opinions on which set up would be better, I would like to hear your thoughts. One concern I had with the electric is the amount of batteries I will have in my boat, I alrady have two , and I am planning on also purchasing two electric downriggers and I think I will need one battery per downrigger. any suggestions would be much appreciated

Tracker Tundra

ziggy95722
08-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey Tracker T., The size of your boat, may determiner the battery count. I currently run two 12V Optma batteries in my 16’ Harbhercraft. One battery is ONLY for cranking and electronics. The other is for the two Cannon Mag 10’s and the 12V Minnkota auto/co-pilot. I can troll all day with the downriggers (35’to80’) and have yet to run out of juice. If I am going for more than a day I just plug in my onboard charger to the motor home for a couple of hours. No problems so far. Also it is easier to troll on windy days with a bow mount PULLING your boat rather than a kicker PUSHING your boat.
Tight lines Ziggy ;D

Empire
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
I currently (pun intended) have a MinnKota Autopilot on my bow. It works great for koke/trout trolling, and I am pleased with it.

However, when I am fast trolling speedy shiners I burn through the batteries in about 4 or 5 hours. The electric is not too useful for trolling on the river for salmon.

If you slow troll, get the electric. If you fast troll, get the 4 stroke.

NANDO33
08-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I too am undecided about purchasing a gas powered kicker motor or an electric motor. I own a 19 foot Glastron Tri Hull. Will be fishing mostly near shore in the Monterey-Santa Cruz Bay for cod and Halibut. I have very little room on my transom for a kicker motor so I am leaning towards a transom mounted electric. Minn Kota's Riptide series Salt Water line of electric motors seem like a good solution. I am looking at their 101lbs. thrust, 36 volt model. My question is whether this motor can push me back to the launch area if my main motor gives out. I have received conflicting opinions from the others I have consulted with.

fishguts
08-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I have a 115 hp only and am planning to get an 8hp kicker by the end of the year and later next year, add an electric. Pick what you will use the most and add that first.

TS5655
08-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I just went through the same delima and ended up choosing the kicker over the Minnkota. I felt it would suit my needs more than the bow mount. I consulted several other people who had done the same thing before I made my choice. Batteries were a big issue.

TS

sellhomes2fish
08-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I have both a Minn Kota Power Drive on the front and a kicker on the transom. I use both for kokanee & trout fishing. I prefer to use the kicker when the weather is calm and not windy. My little 4-stroke (5hp) burns very little fuel and is pretty quiet. I really like using the Minn Kota when it gets windy and the the transom kicker gets tougher to control, especially at such a slow speed. It's so peaceful with the electric running, you can hear everything around you. I can troll for several hours before running down the dedicated battery but if I'm on a multi-day trip I try to use the kicker. I've heard that 24-volt motors get great running time. Perhaps three banks of batteries would be enough for your needs.