PDA

View Full Version : Up or Down

thomas
08-24-2005, 03:28 AM
When mooring your boat in salt water, should you trim the motor out of the water or leave the lower end in the water?
thomas

drstressor
08-24-2005, 07:01 AM
Always trim it out of the water if possible. That will prevent the growth of weeds and barnacles. Plus, it minimizes electrolysis.

Hogsbro
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Always trim it out of the water if possible. That will prevent the growth of weeds and barnacles. Plus, it minimizes electrolysis.

Even on an aluminum boat?

drstressor
08-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Sure. The prop shaft is made of stainless steel as are most of the bolts in the lower unit. It's not that important in freshwater, but in the salt chuck galvanic corrosion will happen.

SuperDave
08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
If your motor has a trim tab, look at it after a couple days in salt water or alkyl lakes. I'd be afraid to moor it in salt very long.

thomas
08-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the input DR. I am taking my Stryker to Cortez Island B.C. for a month of fishing, ;Dand will be sure to trim it up when moored. Another question. I have a 20hp Honda kicker.I know that you shoud only have it either straight up and down,on it's back or on the side with the nubs to keep oil from getting into the cylinders. If I have the motor tilted up and turn as far as it will go with the proper side pointed down will that keep the oil problem from occuring? ???

drstressor
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I've never had a problem with either of my Honda engines after trailering with them tilted up. The warning is about laying an engine flat on its side.

Here's 2 tips for trailering long distance:

1. Cover the air and cooling water intakes with duct tape to prevent road grit from accumulating (DON'T forget to remove the tape before operating the engines).

2. Turn your steering wheel all the way to one side so that the hydraulic piston rod or the through-the-tilt pin steering rod will be inside of the piston or the tilt pin. This will again prevent road gunk from accumulating.

I've trailered to BC three times without a problem. A month in the water up there is not long enough to require bottom paint or any special precautions. The boats and engines are designed for saltwater.

thomas
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks Doc. I think I am ready to go. ;D

somebody
08-25-2005, 07:57 AM
good tip on duct tape, we are going to vancuver island then north to hagers lodge. leaving 9-4-05