PDA

View Full Version : Do I have dryer vent hose in my boat?

Half_Fast
08-23-2005, 01:54 PM
I just noticed that the bilge blower motor vent hose on my I/O is pretty much a skeleton, consisting mostly of wire. It sure looks like dryer vent hose to me. I'm wondering if it is the same stuff or should I get some from the local dealer for mega bucks as opposed to Home Depot dryer vent hose. Or did the previous owner replace the original with DV hose? It's a 27 year old boat. I've only had the boat for 10 months.

SuperDave
08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
That hose exhausts fumes out of your engine compartment just like a dryer exhausts hot air. I'd use it.

Half_Fast
08-23-2005, 02:14 PM
That's what I was thinking Hinrid. The temps can't be anywhere near what they are on the dryer. It's probably the original hose from 1978. Age got it.

tdekens
08-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Half_fast, same hose as dryer hose you are correct. I never figured out why they didnt use the better aluminum stuff myself? When mine rots out I am gonna run that better vent hose.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

Chetco_Indian
08-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Guys if you use the better aluminum vent pipe and river or sea water wil not mix.I you go to Sac.rubber and a flexable hose that will take water.I have seen s/s flex hose just can't place where they may use it in sheetmetal shops.

ctsron
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I have had the S.S hose in my boat for 2 years now. Haven't had any problems, although changing it would take all of 2 minutes and another $10.00 ;)