PDA

View Full Version : Batteries and Onboard charger

Brettski
08-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I know this subject has come up before but.I'm getting a bow motor for my boat(finally worked enough overtime)I know the size and brand etc.What I need to know is the brand of batteries and what type of charger to get.I want gel,I heard that Interstate makes good ones.The charger I want to plug in when I get home and have it keep the batteries charged then shut down.The motor is a Minnkota w/auto pilot 24 volt.60"shaft.I had my boat pre-wired for this purpose when I ordered it.So the battery area is already welded in the bow ready for batteries/boxes.The boats I saw set up had the charger in the rear of the glovebox protected. Anyway give me your opinions! Thanks, Brett

longline
08-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I got a Minnkota 2 bank onboard charger from Cabela's a couple of months ago. It has 10 amps per side I believe and also goes to the maintenance mode after the batteries reach full charge so there is no concern about frying your batteries. Cost was $200.00 and there was a $25.00 mail in rebate for a final cost of $175. Didn't think that was too bad.
.......Rick

Brettski
08-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks Rick, What kind of batteries do you use?

Hogsbro
08-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I just purchased, and installed a Cabela's dual battery/onboard charger package on my boat. I got the AGM batteries and charger made by ProMariner (I believe they make both. The batteries may be made by another company) They are sold under the Cabela's name. It seems to be a really nice package, and there is a substantial savings buying it as a package.

Brettski
08-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Hogsbro, I'll look into that.

ziggy95722
08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey Brettski, dittos with Longline on the on-boa5rd charger from Cabala’s. I have chosen the Optma batteries for my boat. The cells are filled with a gel like substance. No fumes, no spills, and no topping off. Available from your local automotive parts house. Pricey, about $180.00 EA. Had mine for two years now, no problems.
Tight lines Ziggy ;D