PDA

View Full Version : Jetcraft - Constructive Criticism

SuperDave
08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
As a Jetcraft owner, I have been invited to a round table meeting with the manufacturer to discuss product likes and dislikes. Beyond my own experiences, I would be glad to share constructive criticisms and popular perceptions from others, Jetcraft owners and non owners. Please make them technically relevant.

drstressor
08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's one thing I hate about almost all aluminum boats (except mine ;) ;D): Vinyl floors. Why can't they use a non-skid surface that doesn't stain or absorb odors? My own boat has a painted floor with sand added. It cleans up in a pinch and never gets slick when it is covered with slime and gore. As long as the floor is aluminum and not wood, this should be a no brainer for any fishing boat.

sunracer1957
08-01-2005, 02:07 PM
One of the reasons I didn't buy a Jetcraft was lockable storage compartments, this should be a easy fix,,otherwise love the boats..

tdekens
08-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Hinrid,
When I looked at a Jetcraft what turned me off compared to the other boats at the boat show was:
1. They seemed about 20 percent higher than the others.
2. They didnt have full welds as most of the other boats had. They would be welded for 3 inches then 6 inches of no weld and then 3 inches welded.
3. The aluminum seemed to bend in when I pushed on it. Just didnt seem to have quality construction. Had more of an assembly line feeling.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

MankinD
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
The skip weld mentioned by 2shakes refers to the attatchment of the bottom strakes, I too was curious about the reason. I must agree with Doc about the vinyl-over-wood floors. First thing I would do is replace the floor with aluminum coated with one of the various spray bed liner materials. Two large enclosed channels in the bow where the sides join the bottom (easily accessed through anchor storage opening), seems like they would be good chases for forward trolling mount etc.

Doug

SuperDave
08-02-2005, 06:27 AM
I must agree with Doc about the vinyl-over-wood floors. First thing I would do is replace the floor with aluminum coated with one of the various spray bed liner materials.

That and Doc's solution don't sound like they would pass the barefoot in the summer test. I don't know if there is such a product, but easy to clean and cool on the feet would be nice.

Fishwrestler
08-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Ok since I own an older pre Harbour craft boat and My Father inlaw owns a post harbour Craft boat I was able to compare a little once he got his. over All I was pretty impressed with his boat. a hatch in the bow for storage would be nice. I have to say one thing that I hope does not offend to many, I think most of the problems he has had and from what I have heard from currrent Jetcraft purchasers is the major issues encountered is not with the boat or the boat design but our local dealer. My father inlaw was taken on a test drive in one of the sales mens personal boat and was quoated price for the exact same boat set up the same. When my father in Law picked up his boat, it had no charger for the trolling motor baterries, was told you don't need a charger just take the batteries out and charge them. the boat we test drove had hydraulic steer and my father inlaws boat did not, told him after he picked it up it was like a $4,000 optin. In general just the way things are handled . And I hear it over and over from customers but people still buy their boats there I am not sure why that is? OK just my vent a guess
FW

drstressor
08-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Why would anybody want to be barefooted in a fishing boat? ??? ;D

Actually, aluminum is a great heat conductor. The floor of my boat is painted light grey and any heat not reflected is conducted to the submerged part of the hull by the aluminum stringer system. The floor does not get hot if the boat is in the water.

Silver_Streak
08-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi 2shakes, your comment about the hull flexing is just what the "new Jetcraft" company says their "pre-flex" design was not supposed to do. The pre -bowing of the hull is supposed to be more ridgid than the traditional alum. construction design. I have my doubts. These "new" Jetcraft boats are really Harborcraft boats, just using the old company name. Harborcraft bought out Jetcraft Boats of Oregon ,I think back in 2001 or 2002. In my opinion, you cannot compare the old with the new. Hinrid, I'm sorry if I got off the point a little. One suggestion I have would to put some type of battery storage up front to run an elect. trolling motor. In my '01, I'm still trying to figure out where the best place to stick the two batteries! I think the newer models are the same way. Also, I agree with Doc on the floor. I have the vinyl floors, and they're hard to clean up. It seems in most of the new boats now they like to put carpet. Leave the carpet out for the fisherman buying these boats!! I guess you have this option when you are really getting a "custom" built boat. ::)

jetcraft18
08-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I am a jetcraft owner 2002 18 foot with a 90 4stroke merc.I love my boat.I dont have a problam with the welds on the keel.I would suggest making the anchor storage in the bow a little bigger.I received the same letter from jetcraft but have not heard from them.
Its not a good idea to go bare foot in your boat,those lost hooks love it.

GN.
08-02-2005, 07:31 PM
When I was shoping for my current boat I decided against the Jetcraft. The biggest reason for my decision not to get a Jetcraft was that I couldn't even get the dealer to take me seriosly. I was there about an hour and couldn't get either of the salespeople to give me much attention. The receptionist at least was willing to get me some product literature. As far as the construction goes I would like to see storage in the bow area and they can leave the carpet off the engine cowl. They could also use a swingaway tongue on their trailers. That would make it a lot easier to fit in my driveway.

SuperDave
08-02-2005, 07:53 PM
My Jetcraft came with a ton of bow storage and a swing away tongue. The trailers aren't "Jetcraft" and can ordered any brand or style. The bow storage issue must be a "model" issue, my SK2125 came with 2 compartments to the bow storage area. It is where I keep my (2) trolling motor batteries and enough clothes, heater, toilet, rain gear, and sleeping bag.

FISHSTALKER
08-02-2005, 10:15 PM
My Motion Marine has diamond plate floors which I covered with
black rubber bar mats. Very comfortable on the feet and easy to wash down. No where and tear.

Silver_Streak
08-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I like your idea on the floor mats FISHSTALKER. :)

Brettski
08-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't want to be too critical, but what made me not buy one was their finish work. They had grinder marks all over the bottom,lack of continuous welds,the keel looked like they pieced it together,split tubing around the windshield for trim.I really looked hard at all the brands.I thought it was priced very reasonable though.I liked the design of the hull,Interior package was very comfortable.My 02 worth. Brettski

SuperDave
08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Hinrid,
*When I looked at a Jetcraft what turned me off compared to the other boats at the boat show was:
2. They didnt have full welds as most of the other boats had. They would be welded for 3 inches then 6 inches of no weld and then 3 inches welded.
2Shakes *;D ;D 8)

I went to my Jetcraft roundtable meeting last night and got some feedback on the skip welding issue. This is what Jetcraft claims: "The skip welds are only at the strakes on either side of the keel. These are not structural members, they simply help the boat plane easier. With different thicknesses of metal, a full weld would not allow for expansion and contraction characteristics of the different metals. Full welds put added stress on the hull and can result in weld tears. Other than seams, any field weld tends to weaken the hull." For guys sold on full welds, this may just be BS. It seemed to make sense to me when it was explained. There is such a thing as "too rigid". Buildings built to withstand high magnitude earthquakes have to have some movement built into their design to absorb shock.

drstressor
08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
The strakes on my SiverStreak are skip welded also.

tdekens
08-18-2005, 11:24 AM
If I remember correctly back when i was searching for boats it was not the strakes but the interior supports that were skip welded. It was Bruce from Rogue jets who turned me on to this. I shot him an email to get an answer as I have forgotten. I am still thinking it was the inside supports but will respond back when I get an answer from him. Personally I think any of these boats I would be proud to own. I still havent found the recycling label anywhere on it. ;) They did bring up a good point on the strakes that makes sense but then again they must make up a great percentage of strength to the hull. To say they dont, doesnt make any sense to me. I would think they are the most integral strength additive compared to the seams. The same reason they put all those bends in the aluminum on a small boat is for support. Just like a strake on the sides and bottom. Are the chines reversed on Jetcraft these days? Are there any engineers on the board maybe with a CAD program? I am just a dumb former Navy guy and they dont skip weld any of the ships. It would make me nervous if they had but then again I have never been shot at in my boat.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)