PDA

View Full Version : Service shop has made me mad

SideJump
07-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I picked up my 3 month old Alumaweld Talon today at Delta Marine in Davis (service shop for Hammer Marine)and found stains on the floor of my boat. At first I thought is was some grease spots so I spray on some decreaser and scrub it with a brush. When I wiped the decreaser off it didn't come off. The stains look like big oil drops. There are two of those and one that looks like it was smeared. Am I over reacting? >:( I even tried break clean and the stains did not budge! I don't know any stain that break clean can't remve.

This was my second visit there. My first visit was because they had left the oil cap off the motor. Imagine the mess after running it for 5 hours of break in time.

Any ideas about getting stains off an Alumaweld rubber type floor?

Anyone know a "quality service" shop near Rancho or Folsom?

I left a very angry message on Delta Marine's message machine. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO.

Vance Staplin
07-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Sidejump,

Costco has some stuff called Oil Eater. The stuff is great, give it a try. I will bet it will work.

Vance

Durb
07-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Side jump check your PM. Have a few questions

Empire
07-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Glad you got your boat back!

I am sorry to hear the shop left some stains in your new boat. I can think of a couple things to try.

First a little powdered laundry detergent sprinkled on should break down/soak up the oil or whatever it is after a couple of hours. The second thing to try is some engine degreaser (I have a few cans). The engine degreaser wont smell as nice, but it works well.

SideJump
07-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Vance,

The "Oil Eater" was the first thing I put on. I know what you mean, that stuff works great but it didn't even put a dent in the stain. Thats even after scrubing it with the stuff.

After I cooled down a bit, I even tried a "wire brush." First the small one that looks like a tooth brush and then the big one that looks like a hair brush. No difference.

Empire, now I don't think it's oil. It might be some kind of glue.

SJ

stagger_lee
07-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Sounds to me like it might be battery acid burns! I hope not, because if it is , There is no way ,that I know of, to clear up the stains unless it is re-painted :-/

somebody
07-30-2005, 11:07 AM
i imagine you talked to the boss there. I would tell him i was upset and i would wait there till they fixed and only back-charge them the same price per hour theycharge

MoMoney
07-31-2005, 07:52 AM
If its not a battery burn try Berrymans carb cleaner.Its more potent than brake clean.It might fade the vinyl a little.If its glue there is a spray at osh or home depot thats an adhesive remover.i forgot the name of it but they should be able to help you.i think its a 3m product.

grizzley
07-31-2005, 08:49 AM
I would also send them a copy of your first post where you ask about a reliable shop to use.
It may make them wake up knowing that it is being read by scads of fishermen and women, a good deal of whom own boats.
griz

SuperDave
07-31-2005, 08:51 AM
I've had a few stains and I've scrubbed them out with Comet. It didn't get it entirely out but bleached it to a much lighter color. My next recommendation would be to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some of this non-slip mat to cover your vinyl.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8499/boat56000we.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SideJump
07-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Mo Money,

The adhesive spray sounds like a good idea. I think it is glue so it might work. What really burns me about this is the glue was on the passenger side where your feet would be. One drop is actually right next to my trolling motor's battery box. If someone was going to accidently drop some glue why would it be under the glove box by your feet? If someone tracked glue in on their feet, why isn't there glue elsewhere? Why wsa there glue on my boat when they were working on the motor? Yes my battery is over there (acid) but it's covered (in a box) and tied down.

You know, after the experience I have had with this boat (Hammer sales people, the maintenance shop), even though I think it's a great boat, I almost wish I would have bought a North River where you bought yours. Of course it would not have been as nice as yours.

When they left my oil cap off my motor the first person I called was Hammer's sales guy. The attitude was "yeah... you should have the shop check it out... here's their number..." I suppose there was nothing else he could do but it would have been nice to hear some "concern" and maybe an "apology" since I did pay an outrageous amount for "prep & freight."

Hinrid,
That's a good idea and it looks great on your boat. It would have sure helped in this case. At least I hope it would have.

SJ

sunracer1957
08-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Boy I thought I was a clean freak, I don't even compair to you guys :o

phisherman
08-01-2005, 02:28 PM
When they left my oil cap off my motor the first person I called was Hammer's sales guy. The attitude was "yeah... you should have the shop check it out... here's their number..." I suppose there was nothing else he could do but it would have been nice to hear some "concern" and maybe an "apology" since I did pay an outrageous amount for "prep & freight."

Sidejump,

I know what you mean. I bought a new Talon from Hammers in 04 and when I was turning my boat the tracking skeg snapped off. Turns out it had been broken off at the dealer and cheaply sodered back on >:(. Brought it to the attention of the manager and got a line of BS about how this "happens" and that the motor is still new. They at least paid for the repair. I know where I will NOT be buying my next boat! If you find a good shop in the Sacto.area let me/us know.

MoMoney
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
a salesman at the dealership you have been mentioning called one of there customers who had just purchased a boat a sucker for paying to much and told me hed get me a much better deal of course.The boats are nice but ive been the sucker too many times.i am glad I bought elsewhere.

Intimidator
08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear that my man.....
Once it gets on the floor your done.....
I own a Alumaweld my self....
Just let it be and let the blood fly!!!!!!!!!!!

FISHSTALKER
08-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Sidejump - Try Orange hand cleaner. The stuff has done some miracle cleanups for me.

Erreck
08-03-2005, 04:23 AM
When all else fails, I (hate to do it. BUT...) resort to gasoline.

A tiny amount on the corner of a rag gently rubbed on the stain will tell you if it'll work or not in a matter of seconds.

It's a last resort, but it usually works when nothing else does.

SideJump
08-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Update... made arrangement with Delta Marine, Davis, to have the marine shop (separate entity)at Hammer Rancho take a look at the stains. This marine shop is more convenient for me to drop off the boat. I appreciated Delta working with me on this one. They were understanding and flexible. Anyway, they couldn't remove the stains either. Delta authorized the Rancho shop to order a new material (floor covering) for replacement.

Being a new boat owner I have learned a few things. There are some simularities and differences between buying a boat and buying a car. The simularity is that you still have to deal with salesmen. The difference is post purchase customer service. My experience, it seems they don't what anything to do with you. I'm talking about the dealership. If you think about it, it's not like you're going to buy a boat every 5-10 years. Unlike cars, I doubt they're banking on return business. So, there's no incentive to break their back afterwards (dealership.) This belief was reinforced by a marine manager (separate entity repair shop). He said after you buy the boat you deal with me from now on.

So, if you're going a purchase a new boat you should find out where a good shop is located for that brand of boat. You should be able to buy the boat at any Alumaweld dealer and take it to any shop that has a contract with Alumaweld. So, if you buy one in Shasta you should be able to have it maintain (warranty work) at a repair shop in Sacramento. Same with a Mercury product. Any Mercury shop can do warranty work. The only problem with some repair shops is that you come second to the customer's who purchased their boat at that dealership. Mercury told me that Brother's Boats was a "premire" repair shop. When I talked to Brother's they told me that they would be more than willing to work on my motor, but their customer's would come first. I think Brother's does both, dealership with their own repair shop. Anyway, these are some things one should know before buying a boat.

WishnIwasfishn
08-11-2005, 08:06 AM
IF it is glue try "Goof off". that stuff is incredible. You can get at almost any retail outlet and even some grocery stores.

Empire
08-14-2005, 05:59 AM
What is the latest update on the stains SideJump?

SideJump
08-14-2005, 11:22 AM
A local repair shop, Sterling Marine off HWY 50, checked out the stains for Delta Marine in Davis. They confirmed that it could not be removed. They told the Davis shop that they didn't know what it was. The local shop has been given the okay to order a new floor cover from Alumaweld. When it gets in they'll recover the floor (front section.)

I told the owner of the Davis repair shop that I would send the old floor cover to them. He could look at and maybe he could determine what caused the stains.