PDA

View Full Version : Nada Guide Prices

AllFishNoWork
08-10-2005, 08:09 AM
What are you thoughts on prices qouted in Nada Guides? As I look thru offers of motors for sale, I find most to be offered at about double what Nada qoutes, today I saw a 30 year old motor offered for more than 5X(firm) than listed in Nada.

FishMischief
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I recently bought a boat. Most time people are asking (and getting) 2x what Nada quotes. The exception are high ticket boats are more accurate and low ticket as well. The vast majority in the middle the Nada quotes are off from reality.

wetdog
08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
They have allways seemed low to me ! :-/

drstressor
08-10-2005, 05:15 PM
You guys need to remember that you live in CA where everything costs more. You had to just about give away used outboards when I lived in Florida. Boats were also much cheaper than around here. Since the market was flooded most of the time and people wanted to impress each other by buying new boats, it was a buyers market all the way. I had to let my 4 year old Grady White, which had over $35,000 in it and was in perfect condition, go for $13,000. If I knew at the time that I could have gotten over $20,000 for it out here, I would have brought it with me.

thomas
08-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Amen DR.

Sardine
08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
due to past experience I'd stick with Nada's low prices. Everytime I buy something used it's over sold. They always tell me how good they have taken care of it but it sure doesn't show. You'll probably have to put what you spent on it to begin with in fixing it so that it is seaworthy & everything works. The last boat I bought the cat let his 18 year old kid work on it. Timing was up at 21 degrees btdc. I'm surprised it even ran. Guess that's why it backfired through the carb? They had 12/2 Romex in there for wiring. I pulled out about 60 feet of that crap. What a wireing mess that boat was. It needed a power steering cooler, alternator, carbuerator, u joints, water pump, raw water impeller, trailer brakes, tune up & oil & filter change. Not only that it still needs a new intake manifold gasket as the vacuum gauge fluctuates to much & it still don't run like it should for a chevy 305. If I couldn't do all this work myself I'd have spent 3 times what I paid for the boat on these repairs. They are all way overpriced. Bite the bullet & buy new, no matter how much it hurts. Now I'm talking about old boats here. Mine are all 1978 vintage except for the 1998 aluminum job. It too was over priced though.

MoMoney
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
I used the nada guides as a guide and then verified it with boattrader.com and looked at simalar boats on the market.They were both very close.