PDA

View Full Version : outback outboard motor mount

svtfish
08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Im ready to order my new boat and Im thinking about ordering it with the outback or offshore bracket to give me more room in the boat.This will move the motor back about 2 feet and also gets reid of the spash well.I here that some people like haveing the motor on the transom .I was doing it to get more room in the boat.any Ideas?
Richard

FISHSTALKER
08-08-2005, 05:09 AM
svtfish - The outback is all advantages. More positive steering control over your boat at slow trolling speeds. Faster to get on plane and it moves the centerline of the boat toward the aft. (less drag) More room for fishing and equipment. My boat has a live well built into the outback.
Here's a photo of a well know member (Mickey Thomas) and his new 20' boat showing the amount of room that is available.

http://www.fishstalker.citymax.com/i/FISH%20PG%204/Bogeda_1_1.jpg

Mickey_Thomas
08-08-2005, 05:33 AM
It's a great idea, the motor moved back gives you so much room you could have a sniffer fest in the back of the boat ;D Haven't had so much as a splash over the back of the boat yet, it does jump on plane better than any boat I've ever been in and steers great at the slower speeds with the trolling motor, as far as I can tell the outback is all positive. FISHSTALKER, I never get tired of seeing that picture ;D ;D ;D

FISHSTALKER
08-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Mic - Seems like it belongs on the front of a Magazine. Huh? ;D ;D ;D I wonder if I'll ever get a ride in it?

Mickey_Thomas
08-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Just pick a lake and pick a date Dale and we'll do it, I bet you'd like to just sit and fish and let the other guy do all the work, that's the way I did it on your boat ;D

SuperDave
08-08-2005, 07:35 AM
While I agree that the bracket is all positive as a feature, the idea that it provides more room in the boat is a little bit of a misnomar. The 18"-24" that the bracket extends is still part of the overall length of your boat. If you buy a 20' boat, it's really 18' to the stern and 20' to the end of the bracket. So, comparing OB to OB, I don't think you are realizing any great space advantage. Personally, I like being able to stand on the platform of the bracket to net fish. On my boat, the platform provides tremendous storage through the stern lockable panels.

FISHSTALKER
08-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Mic - You'll have to keep an eye on me. I brake Scotty's. ;D
How about some Salmon? Something about the size of the one in the photo would be just fine. ;D

SuperDave
08-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Fishstalker, do you have a picture of your livewell across the back?

FISHSTALKER
08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Hinrid - I have two of them. One infront of the motor and the other on the left in this photo. Sorry I don't have a top view.
Note: Very seldom have I used it. Not that I haven't caught fish. ;D I practice catch and release or if we decide to keep fish, they go in the ice chest.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/boat6a.jpg

FISHSTALKER
08-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Something else I would point out in the photo is the transom saver. There was a discussion in another thread about savers. Since I found this photo I thought I would mention it. Motion Marine designs their hook up point into the boat. It works great and I don't have to stand on my head to install it like I do with my other boat.

jackstraw
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Hey Mickey... I was about to install the Scotty weight retrievers for the propacks. On the package it says to install it on the gunwale, but I noticed that yours are mounted on the downrigger base. Did they screw right into the base? How well do they work for you there?

Thanks....Josh