PDA

View Full Version : what do steer your kicker motor with?

svtfish
08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I just ordered my new Duckworth,but the dealer is recommending to use a rod from the main engine to the kicker ???.I had it powered buy a Yamaha 115 and a T8 .is there anything better without brakeing the bank?
Richard ;D

drstressor
08-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I use a tiller extension because I like to fish the boat from the stern. But nobody else on the boards does this. ;D Most use a connecting rod that will drive you nuts rattling in most installations. Hammer came up with a good solution for the rattle though. He connects a short bungee chord to the transom and then runs a rope to the connecting shaft. No rattle at all.

TS5655
08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
svtfish,

When ordering my boat I contemplated the same thing. Vance recommended using the tiller like Doc does. However I chose to have the connecting rod so I can steer from the steering wheel while I stay out of the sun.

TS

wetdog
08-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Remote Toll system works great for me! about 600.00 bucks

sellhomes2fish
08-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I didn't want to spend the big bucks so I am using the SS rod between the two motors. It nice being able to steer at the helm, but now need to figure out a way to shift and throttle from there too without breaking the bank.

tdekens
08-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Tr1 is the magic. Try one and you will be hooked.
http://www.nautamatic.com/
Yes it is a ton of money but worth it if you troll or backtroll alot. I know you dont want to spend alot of money.... Again, try one as they are awesome.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

WishnIwasfishn
08-02-2005, 08:50 AM
I use the EZsteer, check it out. It works great, only draw back is that you have to get out of your chair to adjust traddle.

WishnIwasfishn
08-02-2005, 08:51 AM
oops, I meant throddle not sure what a traddle is

metalmouth
08-02-2005, 09:21 AM
2Shakes is right on the money. If your going to fish in the wind or pattern troll or troll to GPS, the answer is TR1 Gold. It is the most important addition to my boat that I have made. If you fish alone and find yourself short on hands, Set it and Forget It. 8) ;D 8)

ITUKAWAL
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I just ordered my new Duckworth,but the dealer is recommending to use a rod from the main engine to the kicker ???.I had it powered buy a Yamaha 115 and a T8 .is there anything better without brakeing the bank?
* * * * * *Richard ;D
I've always gravitated to the E.Z Steer Motor Connectors:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0030613010974a&navCount=1&podId=003061 3&parentId=cat21322&navAction=

I had to replace the old one due to an accident and had it installed for under $ 200 bucks. It does not make any difference what position either motor is in it still steers smooth and true. My $ 0.02

waterdog
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I like the stainless connecting rod for lots of reasons. Compaired to ez steer and others that cost about $200 and up, the connecting rod only costs about $35 and works great. It does rattle but a bunge cord as Doc says will quiet it completely. It is easy to install and once installed easy to connect and disconnect from inside of the boat. Since you will have both motors down in the water it is like having 2 rudders - the boat steers very nicely. Since you steer it from the steering wheel you will be able to stay in the shade (if you have a canvas top or bimini).
I have tried a tiller extension and I just couldnt steer as well as with the connecting rod. The advantage was that I could control the throttle with the extension.
If your kicker is tiller steering then you are probably out of luck as far as being able to controll throttle etc from the drivers seat. If it is electric start and not tiller steer you can have seperate forward/reverse/throttle controls mounted up front by your main controls.
I havent had any problems not being able to control throttle and forward/reverse for the kicker from the drivers seat. It only takes a second or 2 to get to the back of the boat and kill the engine or adjust throttle. Also if you want to move out of the way or manuver quickly just start the main motor and give it some gas.
Waterdog ;D

northriver_tom
08-03-2005, 06:36 AM
i use the remote troll...works great....