PDA

View Full Version : Kayak / Fish Finder

hitdog777
07-30-2005, 05:18 PM
I recently bought a Kayak to use for fishing. I want to mount a fishfinder to it, but I'm not comfortable doing it myself.

Anyone know where I can go to get it done?

Zucca
07-30-2005, 08:37 PM
There are a number of websites that are devoted to kayak fishing. A few years ago I read some of the descriptions kayakers had for mounting their fishfinders and batteries. Unfortunately, I do not remember the site addresses. I remember that a number of the key members are from the Santa Cruz area and that ocean kayak fishing in that area is popular. Why not do a search for kayak fishing. Some of the members on those specialty sites will surely be able to help you to either feel confident about doing it yourself or will be able to steer you to someone who can help.

Hogsbro
07-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Check
www.allkayakfishing.com

and although I haven't checked this site much check here also.

www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php

hitdog777
07-30-2005, 09:57 PM
perfect. thanks.

meatboat
07-31-2005, 07:08 AM
It is not that tough. Put a small tractor battery in a container, apoxy it to bottom thru your access. Drill small holes for power and transducer, Use good marine chalk. Use dielectric grease on every connection. I put a cuda on mine. Dunked a few times in the ocean and no problems. Trasducer mounts inside your kayak. No problem going thru the hull.(don't drill thru, mount on inside though) Same thing, apoxy it.

alfredo
07-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I use an old portable Eagle fish finder. Not very high tech, but it gives me the depth and shape of the bottom.It shows the fish, but the definition isn't very good.

Mine has a suction cup mount for the transducer. I stick it the side of the yak right below the water line.This work well for me because I use it on more than one kayak.
Looking to buy kayak #6 after a test paddle in Monterey next week. (Prowler 13 Angler Edition)

Do your homework before making any mods to your yak!

Al

sellhomes2fish
08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
I have one of those Fishing Buddy (all in one unit) and keep it in my kayak (sit-in type) until I reach the fishing area then hang it over the side to get an idea of the bottom structure. Then, bring it back on board when I've found the spot. Are you planning on using for ocean to fish the reefs or for freshwater?

basil
08-01-2005, 08:47 PM
The transducer is best mounted with Marine Shoe Goo on the bottom inside the hatch, just a bit forward so you can still stow gear. You can even pull it out and the goo comes out fairly easy and it will look like nothing was there. Just put a big gob of goo down then use duck tape to hold it for a night till it dries. Mount it as straight down as you can, this affects the imagery on the finder. You can't mess this up because you can peel everything off and do it again.

Cabella's has a nice little 12 volt battery or you can go to radio shack and buy something to pack a bunch of batteries into that makes it 12volt, that would be smaller and lighter, but you will need to make it waterproof. The cabellas battery I just put in a cut out antifreeze jug and shoe goo near the transducer. Water doesn't bother it too much.

The big problem I have is the connector to the fishfinder from the transducer. It gets corroded easy, so get some dielectric oil and use it everytime.

The best mounting is up front of the kayak in front of your feet. This leaves room for you to scoot up to the hatch and also makes it easy to use nuts and bolts, stainless. I use a Scotty bracket and drill holes in it to mount the finder, then you can remove it easy. It is also a short run for your power wire to the finder from out of the hatch. Most hatches are rubber and you can just clamp them down over the wire.

None of this stuff is hard and holes can be filled.

I don't know if you can find a kayak place to do this. They aren't usually into fishing and will likely place it wrong.

hitdog777
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm using it in freshwater only. Everything I'm seeing suggests that I'm going to have to install it myself. Guess it's time to roll up the sleeves, buy one and give it a try. I found a couple of sites that give step by step instructions.