PDA

View Full Version : evinrude full speed not so fast anymore?

fenton_chris
07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
i have an 20yrs plus evinrude 9.9 i think. it used to go pretty fast on full throttle like 10 to 15mph now it only goes like 4 to 5mph on full trottle. anyone know whats wrong? ??? or knows a place that works on older motors all the ones i've called wont go past 1986.

willbilly
07-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Try Divide Marine in Georgetown Ca. or Auburn Outboard Marine. for repairs.

Oxbow
07-29-2005, 02:51 PM
If it were mine, I think I would check the fuel filter first to make sure you are getting enough fuel. I always install an inline filter to protect the one on the engine. After that you may be looking at a compression check to make sure the compression rings are free. There are better mechanics than myself on the board so maybe some of them will chime in. Good luck!

wayneo
07-29-2005, 03:21 PM
If it is a twin cyl it sounds like it's only running on one

dirtydan
07-29-2005, 03:50 PM
well . . . I'd also check to make sure the throttle cable isn't out of adjustment - and I'd change the plugs. Nothing will kill power like fouled plugs. If you want to be sure both cylinders are firing - start it up and disconnect one plug wire (be careful :-X) - if there's a change in sound - it was probably firing - reconnect and then do the same with the other.

Good Luck.
-DD

johnniebfishin
07-29-2005, 08:27 PM
i had the same problem with a 1976 johnson 15 hp the problem ended up being one of the two ignition coils went bad i disconnected the electrical leads on one checked it with an ohmeter as per the manufacture primary and secondary windings in the manufactures repair manual also checked the other ignition coils windings the same way. one was bad over time these do go bad.hope this helps.

somebody
07-30-2005, 11:11 AM
could be plugs wires also, mahe sure you have it in water as 5 seconds will take out the water pump, good luck