PDA

View Full Version : spring loaded trolling plate

MGood777
07-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Anybody have any experience with trolling plates that are spring loaded and so supposed to raise by themselves when you accelerate? Do they work the way they are supposed to? I'm considering one of those versus one with the usual release cable.

viper2
07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I bent up a couple of plates before I put on an Easy Troller, web site: www.ironwoodpacific.com. You still have to pull the cord to release the plate, but the bottom part is hinged so it won't bend if you forget.

I have 190 HP, so the Happy Troller plate just would not work for me.

ITUKAWAL
07-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I just placed the Easy Troller on my Yamaha 70 recently. We will see what kind of performance we ger real soon.

fresnofshfan
07-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I picked up a Happy Troller for my 25hp Merc. I love it! It is spring loaded and has two positions. You pull the cord the spring compresses and it lowers itself down, but you cant be going too fast. Then to bring it up I pull the cord and throttle up and it goes back to the "up" position. I used to drag buckets.. much nicer!!

Irish
07-29-2005, 04:28 AM
I see that Cabelas has a "Trol-a-matic". no cords to pull. anyone tried this?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276&id=0000915012282a& navCount=3&podId=0000915&parentId=cat21370&navActi on=push&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&index Id=cat21370&hasJS=true

MGood777
07-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Hey Irish...That's exactly the one I was thinking about when I started this thread. I couldn't decide whether to get that one of the Hydro-Troll with the cable to pull.

I ended up going with the Hydro-Troll and the cable. Just ordered it. I never really heard anything negative about the "no cable" style, but I'm guessing that reverse would be difficult with the plate down and I don't wanna have that hassle.

Irish
07-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Good point! I'm still shopping around myself. :-/
Please let me know how yours works.

fenton_chris
07-29-2005, 11:27 AM
i had a spring loaded plate on my 140hp merc crusier. but now with a new impeller i put in. i can drive the boat slow enough to fish from it with out it over heating. is it bad to drive a big motor slow like that? or should i put the plate back on? also the plate has put cracks on the motor near where it gets screwed in so im really not wanting to put it back on.

MGood777
07-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I had similar issues. I have a 260 HP Mercruiser I/O. I couldn't fish at all until recently because it would get too hot. It was a salt water boat for a few years, and the salt had corroded the manifolds and restricted water flow. Once I replaced the manifolds and impeller and everything else in the cooling system, it ran nice and cool. Now I want to start fishing, but even at a low idle it won't move at less than about 2.0-2.2 mph. I'm hoping the plate will get it down to about 1 mph (or maybe less in a headwind :). Anyway...Now I'm worrying about overheating again. I hear that a trolling plate might cause it to run hot again.

Frank
07-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I have a used/good condition Cabelas Hydro-troll for sale cheap! It worked great on my 75 hp Honda. It also works great as a hyrofoil to help with hole shots and porpusing. I will part with it for $55 plus shipping. Includes extra pins.