PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Time

drift
07-25-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a minn kota endura 36, and I have been looking at deep cycle batteries for it. Is it possible to get a battery that will allow me to troll all day at a slow pace? what batteries do you guys reccomend?
Thanks

FishMischief
07-25-2005, 10:27 PM
This is a must read... (I dont necessarily recomend this brand but its a good FAQ)

http://www.exideworld.com/faq/faq_marine.html

I think you best option would be a group 31 battery. *Also be aware some batteries are not dual purpose meaning that a deep cycle may not crank your engine. *So if you need it to start an engine make sure it is a dual purpose deep cycle battery.

Also within each group battery rating each battery model can have different Amp Hour and Reserve Capacity ratings. All group 31 batteries are not created equal.

I just bought a gel cell battery and I dont think they offer more trolling time than a standard deep cycle of the same capacity they are just more durable to physical abuse and can handle more deep discharges.

somebody
07-26-2005, 06:29 AM
deep cycle golf cart batteries seem to do good because of the amp. hours

LKTROR
07-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Wal-Mart Everstart deep cycle, group 29 or if they have them group 31! About $79.00.

sunracer1957
07-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Drift go back one page twords the bottom and theres some go battery info..

drift
07-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll go with the wal mart batteries. Does anyone know the amp hour rating on these?

FishMischief
07-26-2005, 09:52 AM
The one I bought from Walmart I beleieve was the Exide Stowaway. I don't beleieve they had a group 31. These details are included on the battery labels.

sellhomes2fish
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
I second the EverStart Group 29 battery at Walmart for $69. I've had mine for just under a year now and am very satisfied. I use my Minn Kota PowerDrive to troll for kokanee and get many hours (about 4-5 hours of constant use) on a charge. No matter which battery you buy be sure to recharge as soon as possible.