gov, Schwarzenegger

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633
To send an Electronic Mail please visit:
http://www.govmail.ca.gov

heres some others that need to here from you too...

Mike Chrisman is the Secretary of Resources and reports to the governor, and can be reached at

Resources Agency
1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1311
Sacramento, CA 95814

(916) 653-5656
(916) 653-8102 fax

Ryan Broddrick is the Director of the Department of Fish and Game and reports to the Secretary of Resources, and can be reached at

CA Department of Fish & Game
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

(916) 653-7667
(916) 653-7387 fax

Here is the link to find your State assemblyman, and your state senator - enter your zip code and the names and addresses come up:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

please take time to save your sport.....

I sent off 10 yesterday and
gave a bunch to my neighbors with
envolopes ready to send off........

Jan_from_Humboldt
02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I've sent several emails to the powers that be, and have gotten mostly the canned "Thank you for your input" reply.

I even sent one to the President, can't hurt. ;D

65whaler
02-26-2006, 08:08 PM
just remember, emails count, but snail mail is worth 100 emails. not sure why. just is.

blue_chrush
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
its because you have to take the time
to write it and mail it.....
it puts more importance on it
and is more personal.....

otherwise you could simply paste
and send your e-mail......

jtk25
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I would just like to say thanks to all the Sniffers who sent letters along with us to get our voice heard, but I do give one word of caution, please be profesional when sending these letters. Nasty letters will not get us anywhere. I'm pissed just like everyone else but don't give fisherman a bad name. Remember, there are people on the other side of this that are using the bleeding heart card so that we cannot fish for salmon ever again. Also tell all your fellow fishing buddies to send letters too, there will never be too many. Hopefully they will find a reasonable solution to all this soon.

65whaler
02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
sorry to let you down tk - but they're messing with my families way of life that dates back to the early seventies. my son is finally old enough to come out with me [whaaaa]\
i've said elsewhere that i'm for shutting down the fisheries if that means better fishing for my son and grandsons. but i don't believe that fishing is the problem. it's the rivers diverting attention to us that makes the kayak humping com-latelies to whimper at the sight of a freshly taken salmon. guess what honey, the miwoks were better fishermen than we'll ever be and they happily smoked their take for the winter months for 6000 years. (back then, the kings weighed an average of 70lbs according to sr. francis drake's diary [the salmon - not the miwok chiefs].

p.s. yes, in the post office are five letters to aaaanold, mike *chrissman, ryan broderrick, leland yee [local rep], and jackie speier -gov reps for my district.

that's a meager five letters i sent in the mail [see thread 'dear arnold et al' for the text]

meant every word of it.i'm sure some of you will dissagree with my aggressive tone, but this is politics. if these clams don't see any benefit in working with us - or better yet see the danger of working without us, things may click. (not that though i get off to a hostile start, i never once attack them personally - only the choices they make}.

sorry for those off you who think this approach is too strong. i've be involved in enough political battles to know that, though being nice is importtant - fluff doesn't buy a bag of anchovies.

blue_chrush
02-28-2006, 08:18 PM
all I have to say is its sad note that only 5/7
individuals on here have responded....
I'm not looking for a 1000 hits or anything,
or pages and pages on this topic.....
just some a show of support from some of the
others on here that I know fish salt or fresh.....

that's sad, I don't even want to here it when the
season closes early and everyone wants to know why....

:-[

Team_Sheryl_Lee
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
:(

TSL

Steelhead
02-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Your likely to see a rolling closure like there was last year where the closure will extend as far south as Point Sur until sometime in June. The closure won't lift at Bodega until mid July and Fort Bragg until sometime in August.

The rivers, other than the Klamath, should be open so expect lots of company at California City and Thermalito.

Maybe some of our politicians need a fin clip ::)

dimpala95
03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I've sent mine and I've sent some for other people also.

kingsmules
03-08-2006, 10:06 AM
This is looking like they are starting to nail the coffin closed.
Oregonian Article.

f
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
PETER SLEETH and MICHAEL MILSTEIN
SEATTLE -- Federal fish managers on Tuesday said both commercial and sport salmon fishing from California to Oregon must not be allowed this season.

If taken, it would be the first time for such a widespread closure -- one that would devastate coastal fisheries and make ocean-caught salmon scarce to the retail buyer.

The National Marine Fisheries Service recommendation to the Pacific Fishery Management Council is only one voice the council must consider as it meets this week in Seattle, but it carries tremendous weight. The council is an advisory body to the fisheries service and proposes harvest limit.

"This would be unprecedented and, needless to say, would have tremendous effects on fishermen," said Brian Gorman, a fisheries service spokesman. "But we don't see around this, is what we're saying. No flexibility."

Salmon fishing along approximately 700 miles of coastline -- from Oregon's Cape Falcon, near Manzanita, to California's Point Sur, just south of San Francisco -- would be shut down if the recommendation becomes fact.

The area affected by the expected closure supplied 96 percent of the roughly 250,000 salmon caught commercially last year in the ocean off Oregon, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. About two-thirds of salmon caught by Oregon sportfishermen last year in the ocean came from the same area.

The reason for the closure: a desperate situation on the Klamath River, where the fall chinook run is dwindling.

Gorman said this is the third year in a row Klamath fish have not met minimum thresholds, a likely result of depleted river flows that made conditions ripe for a fish-killing parasite. The parasite thrives in slow-moving, warm water, and the Klamath River has been found to be teeming with it in recent years.

"Like most problems, this is one caused by a series of several discrete events that have a cascading effect and will likely end up leading to a catastrophe," Gorman said. "It's not just a single, isolated cause."

Even though there are plenty more salmon in the Pacific Ocean off the West Coast, regulators want to shut the season down to save the Klamath runs.

Fisheries regulators use a methodology known as "weak stock management." That means when there is danger of overfishing the weakest stock in a given area of ocean, all fishing for that kind of fish is stopped. Because the Klamath River salmon return to the river from north and south of the river's mouth, all salmon fishing must stop in the designated area because it is impossible to tell from which river a given fish may have originated.

That's bad news for consumers. The shutdown certainly will mean far less ocean-caught salmon in grocery stores and potentially higher prices.
And worse news for fishermen. Many face economic ruin and are calling for a federal disaster declaration. Coastal communities that depend on the sportfishing trade -- from motels to restaurants to charter boats -- could be hammered, as well.

Klamath River chinook populations have fallen well below required limits for the past several years, said Peter Dygert, a fisheries service spokesman. Biologists are expecting 29,000 spawning salmon to return to the Klamath for the fall chinook run; that's 6,000 fish below the minimum for conservation.

Traditional season

In a plentiful year, the salmon trolling season begins March 15 and runs through October. With declining runs in the Klamath, last year only about half of the season went forward. Historically, the Klamath Basin was one of the West Coast's top three most productive salmon river systems, behind only the Columbia and Sacramento river basins.

Today the salmon runs are beset by a host of intractable problems. From irrigation battles at its headwaters near Klamath Falls to a series of dams that prevent fish passage, to declining water quality and disease, the river is an obstacle course to the few remaining fish that attempt to spawn.

The council has authority in federal waters from three miles off the Pacific coastline to 200 miles out. States, which have jurisdiction from the shoreline to three miles out to sea, typically follow federal recommendations.

Dygert encouraged the council to proceed to consider other recommendations but cautioned that the fisheries service is unlikely to approve a proposal without an emergency closure. The fisheries service has final approval over any proposal from the council.

Appears certain

If the season is closed, as it now appears is almost certain, the government would work to expedite federal disaster relief for fishermen, said Frank Lockhart, director of the fisheries service's Northwest sustainable fisheries division.

The salmon season is the focal point of the Seattle meetings. Attendees were anticipating the guidance from fisheries service in a letter last week. By Tuesday, the letter still hadn't been approved by officials in Washington, D.C. Instead, the contents were read to the council.

The council is expected to make its final recommendation to the fisheries service when it meets again in April in Sacramento.

Peter Sleeth: 503-294-4119; petersleeth@news.oregonian.com The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ghostfish_slayer
03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
i wonder if poached salmon tastes the same..

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
i am still a firm beliver in "CFR"

TSL

65whaler
03-09-2006, 09:30 AM
despite being depressing - at least this article tells it like it is: "the river is killing the fish, so we recommend closing the OCEAN to fishing." *

:-?

Mickey_Thomas
03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Just for the record, I've written a dozen letters and a couple of dozen emails, we need to do more >:(

65whaler
03-09-2006, 07:31 PM
here's more:
public hearings will be held at the flamingo hotel in santa rosa on the 28th of march regarding closure plans on the table.

for those of you further inland there's a meeting at the double tree hotel in sacramento on the 3rd through the 7th of april. sounds like a great place to have a trailer party.

;)

Trout_Shark
03-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't see any addresses to the feds?????? They are ones making this decision!!!! I personally have opened at least 4000 letters and somewhere around 1000 faxes in the last two weeks here at Resources Agency...And I hope to see more come in, but out hands are tied! :-/
The word around here is that the feds don't want to reason and they believe they can pay off whole fishing communities. Their thinking is totally flawed!!!! And the fisherman are getting the short end of the stick for sure. The situation is not looking too good.

Letters need to be sent to the feds also!!!!. The biggest misconception among the letters I have read is that the DFG is closing the season...THIS IS NOT TRUE!!! The whole west coast is going to be closed by the feds and THE LETTERS NEED TO GO TO THEM!!! PLEASE FIND A FEDERAL ADDRESS AND SEND AS MANY LETTERS TO THOSE PERSONS AS POSSIBLE ASAP!!!!!

Trout_Shark
03-10-2006, 11:24 AM
here's more:
public hearings will be held at the flamingo hotel in santa rosa on the 28th of march regarding closure plans on the table.

for those of you further inland there's a meeting at the double tree hotel in sacramento on the 3rd through the 7th of april. sounds like a great place to have a trailer party.

;)

That is the HANDS DOWN BEST WAY TO MAKE A STATEMENT!!!!! Those dates need a sticky!!!!!

blue_chrush
03-11-2006, 07:40 AM
heres the site for the feds of your area......
its for all of them and you just need to find yours.....

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

for federal letters as of yet, some of the people on the hill
have not heard about this issue yet....
so choose who you want to spend time on
and not have them simply go to the circular file....

knof
03-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Yesterday in the mail, I received a letter in response to my letter to Alberto Torrico, the Assemblymember, 20th District. He was thanking me for contacting his office (cough-cough-BS) to voice my oppinion. He says he is continually researching the available studies to understand the situation of the returning salmon runs to the Klamath.

He said to call his district office if I have any additional thoughts or concerns. I'll probably call and make it simple for him to understand the situation: Better management of the water release in the Klamath!
Fix the problem first!

Keith

Fort_Bragger
03-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Just because I didn't post doesn't mean I don't care or haven't sent my letters. *I was in Fort Bragg this week and my whole family signed petitions. *I informed everyone (Safeway, Real Estate offices, Auto Parts, etc.) we met who would listen to what was at stake. *I just didn't want to clutter up the board with my posts when there are so many of you who are working your butts off to keep us informed.
* Ben.

CaptSalmon
03-24-2006, 06:16 AM
:-[ JTK is right, when you write your representatives, be professional and don't sink to nastiness. Remember, you can catch more flies with honey than you can vinegar. The most effective communication is to your reps in DC. If you have Microsoft Word, or a comparable program, here is the easiest way in the world to contact DC. Go to the following web site and follow the directions. Write, don't send an E-mail. Don't forget your spell checker function to eliminate boo-boos. http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt If you have friends or relatives, have them write too. DC should be the target because federal decisions will trump the state's.