PDA

View Full Version : Wonder why you can't fish salmon???

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Read this little article from the NYT

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb2006/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1141490018

See the post I made in that forum

blue_chrush
03-04-2006, 05:21 PM
site not working.... :-/

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-04-2006, 05:27 PM
worked this morning
good read
still think we are going to take it in the ....
well you know where

TSL

thumbuster
03-05-2006, 05:52 AM
The link just takes me to the main page of the forum... am I doing something wrong?

ric1ric
03-05-2006, 07:06 AM
thats what I get too

blue_chrush
03-05-2006, 10:11 AM
if thats not working heres a good one to read about.....

About Klamath River Salmon
And the 2006 Ocean Salmon Season

1. A Parasite, not fishing, is the cause of low numbers of Klamath Salmon
The low predicted abundance of Klamath fall-run chinook is due to an outbreak of a lethal parasite (C. Shasta) that has infected and killed massive numbers of salmon in the river beginning in 2002. A second parasite (Parvicapsula minibicornis) has also been found in the river infecting the salmon. California Department of Fish & Game tests last year indicated 80 percent of the outmigrating juveniles were infected; the mortality rate is 100 percent!

2. Until parasite effects set in, fishery was meeting goal for returning fish to river
Through 2002, fishermen have met and exceeded the goal set for the number of fish (the 35,000 natural spawner escapement “floor”) returning to the Klamath River needed for optimum productivity. Only after the affects of the parasite on the fish population were felt have the number of returns fallen below this “floor,” clearly indicating it is the parasite and not fishing that is the problem.

3. Parasite has flourished in river due to low flows, warm water, poor water quality
The parasite, which is believed to be natural to the river, has flourished in the Klamath as a result of low flows, warm water, and poor water quality. Flushing flows and high quality, cool water are necessary to rid the infestation in the river (low flows are a result of the drought and low rainfall the basin has suffered until this year, coupled with up-stream agricultural diversions; the poor water quality is attributable to the reservoirs behind the four lower dams on the Klamath where warm, still waters facilitate toxic algal outbreaks and impairment of water quality).

4. No intervention has taken place to protect the fish from the parasite.
To date, no action (intervention) has been taken by the responsible federal agencies to either help the fish – the adult fish (spawners) or their babies (progeny) - to avert the infected areas of the river through any trapping or trucking program, nor have any artificial propagation programs been established to maximize survival of those fish ordinarily spawning and rearing in the wild. As a result, the restrictions fishermen are under to get fish back to the river have been met with futility since the parasite is being allowed to kill most of the fish in-river.

5. No action has been taken to improve flows or water quality.
An improved flow regime for the river is not mandated until 2010 by the National Marine Fisheries Service under its 2002 Biological Opinion (BiOp) for Endangered Species Act (ESA) listed Klamath River coho salmon. Klamath River chinook are not listed under the ESA. NMFS, however, is demanding immediate restrictions on fishing, even though no improvement in river flow will be forthcoming until 2010 under their plan. Neither state, nor federal water authorities have yet to deal with the toxic water discharges from the lower four Klamath dams owned and operated by PacifiCorp.

6. The Klamath “floor” is an optimum production, not a fish survival, goal.
The Klamath “floor” of 35,000 natural-spawning fall-run chinook is a number determined by scientists required to gain the maximum production of salmon over time under normal conditions in the Klamath. It is not a minimum number needed for survival of the fish, which would be far less. Indeed, in many of the years when the floor was not reached (e.g., 1992) the returning spawners of that year produced some of the largest runs ever, indicating conditions in the river are as important, if not more important, for future production then merely the total number of returning spawners.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
i am glad to see articles that state the truth

it is not the fishermen

it is the quality of the river

fix the river and the fish population will grow

until the river conditions are fixed the fish population will drop

ocean fishing for salmon will have very little impact on these fish

we must point fingers at the root of the problem and work toward the solution

TSL

blue_chrush
03-05-2006, 10:49 AM
very well said.......... [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]

65whaler
03-05-2006, 03:48 PM
anyone notice how the chronicle seems to skim this point? if the sf chron can't take this topic on, imagine the girth of the lobby sequestering the facts.

65whaler
03-05-2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=41.474483&lon=-123.505532&z=12.5&r=0&src=2

for those of you who are familiar with the history of pacific lumber company, you can see their effect on the river from outer space.

fishwithgary
03-06-2006, 03:22 PM
While the parasite situation is correctly reported, don't forget to add in the extreme overfishing by the gill netting Yurok Tribe who were granted "commercial" rights at the mouth of the Klamath River. *I know. *I personally observed this in 2003 and 2004. *I was there for 5-6 consecutive weeks each year. No regulators were ever present, and it was a gill net free for all. *Now combine that with the parasite and the bath water temepratures of the water and you have a much better picture. *:'( *All participants need to share the blame, and not claim innocence based on cultrual or agri-buz rhetoric. *I don't think the salmon ever got to vote or voice an opinion.
Gary

ghostfish_slayer
03-07-2006, 12:39 AM
65 whaler i like that link.. i just got done drifting the chetco,smith,eel and the gualala river without leaving my chair.

ITUKAWAL
03-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Doncha just love the Bureau of Wreck-The-Nation :P :P :P :P

halcyon
03-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Consider that water conditions are in the end what sustains the fishery.
Building Damns, diverting lots of water for potatoe farming and then have a strong salmon run and a warm summer has to result in not enough water to maintain proper temperature for the fingerlings. With fish density is too great and failing water quality the parasites take over. What's new?
Either the environment supports population growth or it eats it up. One or the other always happens. If the habitate fails the microbes always win. That's how nature works. You should have seen the Delaware river 60 years ago. It was an open sewer -- nothing but low grade microbial life. They say the porgies & stripers are starting to come back there. The human population in New Jersey and Pennsylvania along the river is as dense as almost anywhere in the world.

It's much different on the Klamath as it's not surrounded by urban population but with less water, more people, more agriculture and the fish quality and population suffers. Obviously there is lots of work to do on there and as we know environmental policies are the future of the fisheries. The trouble is with ten thousand special interest groups there's too much salt on the wheels of progress to keep them moving effectively.

Good fishin' & better catchin', Rich

65whaler
03-09-2006, 09:37 AM
65 whaler i like that link.. i just got done drifting the chetco,smith,eel and the gualala river without leaving my chair.

:)

it's a fun toy. i'd like to play with the military's version of it for a couple hours. ;D