PDA

View Full Version : Great barbeque trick for salmon

CaptSalmon
09-21-2005, 06:57 PM
;D I pickedup this trick from the guide during my last trip to northern BC. Take a filet of salmon or steelhead, with the skin on, and place it on a rough sawed western red cedar plank. Don't forget to soak the board for about an hour before you put it on the grill. If you couple this technique with the barbequed salmon recipe that I submitted last week, you will have some really FINE eating.

blue_chrush
09-23-2005, 07:11 PM
mmmmmm, :-/
is there any other tricks to making the ceader
a little more tender, it was kinda tuff and chewy.
although salmon did help the the flavor.... :)

http://www.culinairefoods.com/images/products/Blacksalmon.jpg

metalmouth
09-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Awe the conundrum. Adding a wet plank to an oven or even a barbecue is the bread bakers biggest obstacle. Salmon requires dry heat to seal in the moisture of the fish. Add outside moisture and the fish breathes and becomes mealy. Spray the fish with olive oil and it seals the fish. It may still become coated by the taste of a wet board, but hey, it's trendy. Salmon is a great fish. If your not smoking it, perhaps playing with green leaf spices such as tarragon, dill, rosemary, chervil, and basil might just give your fish a different presentation night to night. For that wild night try dry rubs or even coat with a top layer of seasoned mayonnaise and broil with some Parmesan cheese browned on top. Classic recipes are just that. Time tested and true. Sometimes trying to defy the law of physics for a new recipe, may just spoil the broth.
;) MM

Jan_from_Humboldt
09-23-2005, 08:19 PM
This recipe is good with Salmon, and outstanding with halibut or ling

Thought I’d donate it to the board

Start off with 3x3x1in fillet pieces {thinner stuff may not work as well}.. a bit of olive oil in a large skillet and 2 to 3 cloves of garlic well smashed (garlic is to your taste, more or less is ok) Heat oil and get garlic in for flavor. Use medium heat!

Place the fish in the skillet and pour in some champagne or white wine to almost cover ¾ of the fish, add a bit of finely chopped dill and a little salt and poach for a bit. (Here is where you may want to add other spices but not a lot so as to overpower the dish)

This poaching is for flavor, not to completely cook the fish when the fish is ¼ to 1/3 poached (this means you can still see raw edges) remove it from the skillet and gently coat with a mixture of sourdough breadcrumbs parmesan cheese and place in a baking dish.

If you over cook the fish it’s real hard to handle and coat. (This is sometimes where the cook's dinner plans can change)

Anyway, sprinkle a little more parmesan cheese and drizzle some sweet butter on each piece and toss into the oven at about 300.

Pour yourself a glass of the remaining champagne and toss a handful of the breadcrumbs and cheese into the skillet in the remaining sauce and render this down to a thick sauce to put over the fish, taste as you go and adjust for salt.

You may not need much…the fish should be done about the time the tips of the bread crumbs are getting brown, don’t over cook as it dries out quick…err on the side of a little underdone to be safe.

Green salad, and presto! Dinner is served. I have no idea what this is called but who cares, it’s good to eat and it’s low cal. ;D

blue_chrush
09-24-2005, 04:24 PM
quote from jan above "Pour yourself a glass of the remaining champagne"

jan,
I,m loving this reciepe alrealy... I love this type of cooking... ;D
thanks for a great reciepe..... ;) :D

Jan_from_Humboldt
09-25-2005, 01:31 PM
So do I that's why I stay in shape...round. Lol

We started to cook more stuff like this rather than frying after I had a heart attack so if you don't go wild with the EVOO or the butter this dish isn't that bad from a healthy eating perspective.

ghostfish_slayer
09-25-2005, 01:52 PM
ahhh, cedar plank salmon.it's fairly tasty.the best though is just bbqing it in a fish basket over real wood,apple chery or other,blend some butter and garlic heck even toss a whole lemon in the blender peel and all.spread it over the fish as it cooks.even better is fresh albeastacore soaked for a while in teriyaki then seared over the bbq in the basket.mmmmmmm.

arima
09-26-2005, 02:10 PM
cedar plank is killer there's no way that he moisture from the wood will hurt. place skin side down use a thick piece. I season with montreal steak seasoning and finish with galic powder and brown sugar rub it into the fish. place it on a hot bar b que cover and let it cook gently. don't worry if the cedar starts to burn thats what gives it a great taste. the flame will burn around the meat. don't overcook take a spattula and leave the skin on the plank. mmmmmmmmmmmmm