PDA

View Full Version : salmon strategies inside the bay

Peacekeeper
09-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok, I've read the poor reviews for california city etc, but me and a buddy are going to give it a try anyway. Problem is, we've never gone for Salmon inside the gate. We have a down rigger, and are eager, but lack knowledge. Any recomemndations as far as location, and methods? Trolling, mooching etc? I'll be glad to post a succesful report in return fo the info! ;) Thx in advance, Matt

sunracer1957
09-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Sick

I've never fished them inside but I can't see whey what we use on the outside won't work, try Green& White or Watermellon apex. we run them 60-70' down in 100' of water and 30-40' down in 60' of water or run a green and green Seps flasher with a RSK and 30-40" leader.. some guys use the hoochies in green and blue.You might try trolling Silvertrons with a 3/4oz egg sinker in the morning and go to a 1oz in the middle of the day . but like I said I've never fished there before and don't know anything about the water depth or anything.. maybe some of the guys who fish there will chime in...

sellhomes2fish
09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
If you troll a Silvertron be sure you don't have the treble hook on there and it must be barbless. Salmon regs same in the Bay as out in the ocean.

Peacekeeper
09-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure if we're going to troll or mooch. I wouldnt mind pickin up a coupole Stripers. We'll see, I guees we just gotta try to learn,,,,

Collegebound
09-15-2005, 03:39 PM
You'll probbaly do well in the delta, the salmon bite seems to be heating up. They are probably all the ones that were caught at dux 3 weeks ago. Good luck! Trolling seems to be the best idea for the delta.
Mike

just_kidding
09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Hey sickday, the trick i have heard is that if you have downriggers run a big falsher off the weight and then a big straight bait above it about 5 to 10 feet. Herring or choves. If you not getting them the striper bite has ben good and you can plug the point at paradise, along with the rocks inside, with hair raisers and 4" swim baits. Good luck.

brian_m
09-15-2005, 07:20 PM
if the fish are there we always get them on blue and chartruse rsks with crome dodgers bout 20-40 pulls on a 2 pound ball

Peacekeeper
09-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey Brian, so you've actually picked them up inside the gate (Angel Is, California City etc?) I've heard of fish being caught in these areas but not with any real consistency. It seems as if the fish would just blaze through once they decide to make the commitment to head in to the system.

Peacekeeper
09-16-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm normally a river/delta guy, this salt water stuff is foreign to me :-/ ???

brian_m
09-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Sickday...
yes i have. infact i caught my biggest salmon in there, 33 pounds! i've caught my share of salmon in there..i've even limited out in there one afternoon. theres a serten way you gotta fish California City!

Fishbutt21
09-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I have fished California City many times and have limited every time. With the exception of watching the tides, the only difference I have found is that I was fishing on the inside of the bridge instead of the outside of the bridge. All my techniques are the same fishing outside the gate or inside.