PDA

View Full Version : Duxbury???

Wishnbfishn
08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I keep hearing from those in the know that when the fishing gets good at Duxbury, it is just a matter of time before salmon are making their way up the Sac., since Duxbury is at the turn from the ocean into the river system. So my question is... has the fishing picked up lately at Duxbury, or is it still slow?

Waiting impatiently in Sac and..

Wishn

CORN
08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Duxbury is still slow. But the regulars seem to be saying the same thing ... that the fish aren't hanging around that long. In previous years, they would stage for a while before moving up the river. This year, they're there one day and then they just blow right by and head into the rivers. Makes it harder to predict?

Regardless, I've always had my best luck on the Sac (Miller Park to American) around October.

Mickey_Thomas
08-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll be trying Dux Fri. I'll post what I find when I get back.

nogimmies
08-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Planning on heading to either Duxbury or 10 Mile.
I'll look at reports tonight then decide in the AM.
Will post a report upon my return.
nogimmies

Wishnbfishn
08-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Thank you Duxbury guys. Us landlubbing valley boys are getting antsy for the big run.

Wishn

redherring
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Duxbury has been very slow, though if you do "hook up" into one the chances are very good it will be a "quality" fish. I read somewhere that the north winds stopped blowing for a few months (Jun-July) which supplied us with some great conditions on the ocean, but also kind of "heated" the water temps up too. which pushed the salmon out towards colder water (either up north or out into the deep blue). Winds also assist in upwelling, which is a "stirring" of the ocean and all of its nutrients and colder water from the deeper depths, when there is no wind everything settles to the bottom and the water warms which makes a difference to the salmon who are kinda of fickle about that. The salmon bite really died about the same time that the commercial season started and that is when the winds I think died too, but who knows, the fishing the last 10 years really isn't what it use to be, now it seems that every year we will get "one" species that out shines another as far as catch goes. This year to me was the year ot the "striped bass", as we where catching alot more all over the area, beaches, bay, and the delta.

Nature works in mysterious ways..........

Wishnbfishn
08-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Thank you for the perspective. Very interesting. Do you believe the 1.2 million salmon estimate we have all heard about for this year? It sure doesn't seem to be materializing. Or are all the fish still up north or out in deep waters waiting for the perfect conditions before they move in?

Thanks.

Wishn

redherring
08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
You know I am starting to wonder about that 1.2 million salmon that are suppose to be around?

There really hasn't been a long open bite stretch that we got into this year, it was really good for a few days up to a week, then it would shut off for about the same period of time. Kind of up and down and one of those where you would hear on tuesday the the bite was wide open then by your day off on saturday it it had died off and vice versa. There is "talk" about a late salmon run still to come, which I might tend to believe (as a black bass fishermen, I know that the spawing season for them was all messed up this year, because of the unsual hot weather we got early this year) and I haven't heard of anything spectacular going on at California City (area inside the bay on the marin side, that the salmon will pass on the way up into the rivers) or much happening up in the big rivers. So, I have to believe they still haven't shown up yet and will still show up at some point once the conditions are right. I always kinda wondered about the "spawn period", and what actually goes on with the salmon....Do they only have a specific window in which to spawn? And what happens when they don't make that window? Do they just wait till next year or do they make the effort anyways? When does a salmon decide when it will spawn, since not all salmon return to the rivers each year? And, it seems the ones that do spawn, come in all different sizes and ages? Do some salmon just stay in the ocean their entire lives and become someones dream catch one day? Nature works in mysterious ways.........

As far as the 1.2m salmon that are suppose to be around, with politics these days who are you to believe, they can always say something like that to get more funding (and we definitely know that all goverment departments are facing cut backs, especially ones like fish and game), could it be that it is a way to make their programs look successful in hopes of generating more funding. They (they could be the governator, state of california, and or other departments of the state) obviously take or borrow funding from the bay-delta stamp that they collect form our fishing licenses every year and use that for "other" things besides what we are told.

Wishnbfishn
08-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks, redherring. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they were even close on their estimate, or that they weren't out and out lying about it. Let us know if it breaks open at Duxbury, and I'll put new line on my reel and wait.

Wishn

CORN
08-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Good explanation redherring.

Not sure how long it will last, but they're making a killing at Dux today.

Wishnbfishn
08-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Good news, Corn!

Keep us posted please. Just don't catch all 1.2 million when they make the turn. Save a few for us Valley Boys.

Wishn

jtk25
08-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I fished duxbury with three other guys on sat the 27 and we only caught one fish at 20lbs and had one other shaker. Fishing was slow for all including the party boats. We did hear it picked up a little in the afternoon but by then we were limiting out on rock fish. Don't know where the fish are at but I sure would like to know. No one brought in any salmon to Berekley when we were cleaning fish. Hope they show up soon.

jtk

triggerfish
08-28-2005, 03:06 PM
just remember guys,the same "Experts" that are saying that 1.2 million salmon that are comming, are the same people that have been saying that the ling cod are indandered,and that the rock fish are in big trouble. :-/

Wishnbfishn
09-04-2005, 09:07 PM
What's the latest at Duxbury the last two days (9/3 and 9/4)???

We're getting cranky here in Sac. At least that's what my wife says.

Thanks!!

Wishn

Fishquest
09-05-2005, 06:24 AM
The reports I've seen from Dux this weekend have looked pretty good. Doesn't sound wide-open, but sounds like most anglers are getting action, and those in the right place at the right time are limiting.

Line_Zinger
09-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Went out on Saturday and had a great time... We Landed two one about 12 the other about 22-25lbs is was not wide open by any meens but still a good time... ALOT OF BOATS where out there as well. Seen Less traffic on a LA freeway :) Any way just my .02 worth...

Z--