PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Friday 9/2

Fishquest
09-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Headed out @ 6:15 this morning with a buddy. Stopped on masses of birds just above Elephant. Trolled progressively bigger circles til we found the fish in 125' of water. Had non-stop action on FBRs and WM Apex from about 8-10am fishing deep. Tons of eel grass, lots of shakers, some nice fish mixed in. Landed a low-teen, a 22# and 24# fish, and lost a couple more nice ones. Hot, hot fish today! Once I had a chance to catch my breath I called for reinforcements. My cousins Dan & Tom, WHO WERE INVITED TO GO THIS MORNING BUT WEENIED OUT , decided since the bite was so good now they should go. So I dropped my buddy off, picked them up, and we were out the Jaws about 1pm. Stopped on a massive bird orgy off Tomales Point, hooked one, and lost it. Nothing much else happening, heard about the hot bite down at the towers, so pulled lines and ran down there. Seemed as though we just missed it, lots of company but no nets. Worked our way out to about 125' there, where we managed to hook and lose two more, one that fought like a real toad, before finally landing a strapping 6lber. Trolled back towards Elephant. Thickest jellies I've ever seen this afternoon all up and down the beach. Impossible to keep lines in the water. Finally gave up around 6pm, and had a fairly lumpy ride home. Sorry cousins, you should have been there this morning!

Rusty_Hooks
09-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice report fishquest....

Don't ya just hate it when they weenie out ;D

Sounds like you had alot of fun.

Fishquest
09-03-2005, 06:35 AM
It was fun, at least in the morning. Once when I was dropping my line down on the downrigger the line popped out of the clip about 20' down. "That's strange", I thought to myself. "I wonder if a fish pulled that off". As I reeled in the line I got my answer. My FBR had just hit the surface when it was engulfed in a huge boil. I saw the flash of silver and a big splash:o, but alas he missed the strike. Another time after a strike, I grabbed the pole out of the holder and could immediately tell there was a heavy fish on the other end. It rocketed to the surface, then it ran...10 yards, 20, 30, I expected it to tire and turn, but no. As another 10 yards peeled out of my reel I began to wonder if my drag had loosened, but I didn't want to mess with it. I was beginning to think we were going to have to take the boat out of gear, when finally about 60 yards back the run ended. As I began to take back some line it was coming in too easily. "Oh no, he's running back straight for the boat!" I reeled feverishly but to no avail, he'd managed to spit the hook >:(. Checked the drag, and if anything it was a little tighter than it should have been. I caught a 33# fish last week, and this one definitely felt and fought heavier. Boo-hoo, the big one that got away :'(.

CORN
09-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Nice job Fishquest. You probably had a 40+ pounder :D. Well, that's what i like to say. My first hookup up last week went exactly like that. Except, I kept tightening my drag. I had caught 20 pounders the week before and they came in relatively easy. This one kept pulling drag, so I thought my drag was too loose and kept tightening. After it broke off, I ehecked and found out that I had tightened the drag to 20+ lbs of pressure. :-/ Thanks for the report.

gone fishin
09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Hey Fishquest,

Great report, I will be out next Saturday with a few others. Hope the Salmon stick around.

Good job.... ;D ;D

Rusty_Hooks
09-05-2005, 08:31 AM
A friend had a hog on a few years ago...

Fought him for a while...brought him up to the stern and the fish took a look at the boat and started out again :o
I think it winked 8)

35 minutes later.....50 pounds went in the box....

I'll never forget the sight of "the submarine" coming up to take a look...

Checked the drag when he got the fish in....so tight it should have broken off..... ::)...didn't...lucky!!!

There are some hogs out there right now...44 pounds came into Ft Bragg last week....one...big...fish!!