PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Cove

Redwine
08-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Heading up to Shelter Cove for salmon & lings.
Will post when I return on Wednesday.

Redwine

The_Reel_Won
08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
looking forward to the reports :)

gloomis
08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
take big rootbeer colored double tailed worms, they kill the lingcod, we limited out with 30 lbers

gloomis
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
and watermelon flashers ans watermelon apexes, we limited every day for 10 days with them
good luck

Supperman
08-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Good luck in Shelter Cove!
What is the boat launch like there? My understanding is that it is a sling launch.
I have a 20' boat. Can you launch a boat like this there?

Supperman
08-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I guess I answered my owwn question about the launch in Shelter Cove...
Here it is.
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=7850&mode=big&lastmode=sequential& flags=0&year=2002

PlugROCKSTAR
08-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Good luck in Shelter Cove!
What is the boat launch like there? *My understanding is that it is a sling launch. *
I have a 20' boat. *Can you launch a boat like this there?

if you haven't been to Shelter Cove, i suggest you drive down there and check it out before hauling your boat there. It's a pain in the A$$ to get there. really tight turns on some spots and BIG Redwood in the middle of the roads.

wilbur
08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree. *We own land up there and are in the process of building a house on it. *The road from redaway is VERY windy at about 27 miles long. *Also, You need to pay to launch ($40.00) and they will put you in with a tractor. *A VHF is also required. *I have pictures but I do not know how to post them. *Maybe somone can PM me and I will email them to you to post. I will be up there from September 2 thru the 7th. *Let me know if any other sniffers pland on being there and maybe we can throw down a few adult refreshments.

Keep in mind that this might be the last year to fish out of Shelter Cove. They are thinking of making it into a reserve. ???

The_Reel_Won
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
*Maybe somone can PM me and I will email them to you to post.

Check your pm box :)

wilbur
08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Check your email. You got a few.

Thanks for your help. ;)

Redwine
08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Just got back home from Shelter Cove.
WOW!!!!
We got limits within an hour and a half both days.
Fish were in the 14-24Lbs size. We fished in 90-110 foot depths. All were caught around 30' deep, on watermelon apexes without flashers.
The fog was heavey each day, and the waves were 2-4' every 12 seconds or so. Not bad!

I fished with a friend who has a home up there. We paid to have his boat launched, by tractor each day. I think it was about $25.00 per day.
In regard to trailering your boat out there, some parts of the road from Garberville are a little narrow, but he had no problems getting his 20' alumaweld through there.

All in all, I think Fort Bragg is a better deal as far as distance & launching fees.

My two cents!
Redwine

The_Reel_Won
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
*I have pictures but I do not know how to post them. *Maybe somone can PM me and I will email them to you to post.

Here you go Scott
http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/541/medium/Shelter_cove.jpg

http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/541/medium/sheltercove1.jpg

http://www.yourfishpictures.com/data/541/medium/sheltercove2.jpg ;)

fathom
08-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Keep in mind that this might be the last year to fish out of Shelter Cove. *They are thinking of making it into a reserve. ???

? They are talking about takeing this from us to? It almost is a reserve right now how many people go up there a year not to many. Next thing on DFG'S mind is to make all of california a reserve.

The_Reel_Won
08-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Good job :) did you get into any of those lings?

Just got back home from Shelter Cove.
WOW!!!!
We got limits within an hour and a half both days.
Fish were in the 14-24Lbs size. We fished in 90-110 foot depths. All were caught around 30' deep, on watermelon apexes without flashers.
The fog was heavey each day, and the waves were 2-4' every 12 seconds or so. Not bad!

I fished with a friend who has a home up there. We paid to have his boat launched, by tractor each day. I think it was about $25.00 per day.
In regard to trailering your boat out there, some parts of the road from Garberville are a little narrow, but he had no problems getting his 20' alumaweld through there.

All in all, I think Fort Bragg is a better deal as far as distance & launching fees.

My two cents!
Redwine

gone fishin
08-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Cool pictures... ;D ;D

So what do you do when your ready to come in, call them on your cell phone or radio in to be pulled out???

wilbur
08-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Yep, call them on the VHF and they will pick up your trailer and recover your boat. With you in it.

CenCoast_Angler
08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
JEEZ! I hope they don't turn The cove into a reserve. I've been going up there for a couple years now and I finally bought some land to build a house on. If they limit fishing up there by turning it into a reserve --- I'm selling!
Does anyone have any info on this potentially community-crippling problem?
PK

wilbur
08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
WASHINGTON, DC In a bipartisan vote of support, the U.S. Senate has unanimously passed legislation protecting 300,000 acres of wilderness and 21 miles of wild and scenic river on existing federal public lands in Rep. Mike Thompson's 1st Congressional District.

This is the second advance toward becoming law the bill has taken in July. The Northern California Coastal Wild Heritage Wilderness Act (HR 233/S. 128), sponsored by Thompson (D-Napa Valley) and California Senators Barbara Boxer (D) and Dianne Feinstein (D) received a hearing in a key congressional subcommittee in the House of Representatives last week.

The legislation covers some of the most beautiful and majestic lands in five Northern California counties Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino and Napa as well as a segment of the Black Butte River. The bill has robust local support. In a regional demonstration of political support, 20 of the 24 county supervisors in the five counties encompassed by HR 233/S. 128 are on record in favor of the bill. Both Republicans and Democrats have expressed support for the bill, including Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"The many meetings held in Representative Thompson's congressional district gave constituents the peace of mind that this bill would provide the best protection of our natural resources, and will preserve the scenic landscapes that are a critical economic and recreational resource for our communities," said Humboldt County Supervisor John Woolley. "No lands would be removed from the local property tax base. No legal roads or authorized Off-Highway Vehicle routes would be closed. And this bill will not hamper the ability of federal agencies to either suppress fire or manage fuels before a fire starts."

In July, the bill was heard in the U.S. House Subcommittee on Forests and Forest Health. At that hearing, supervisors from Del Norte and Mendocino counties testified in support of the wilderness proposal. Jim Wattenburger, Mendocino County Supervisor and former battalion chief for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, confirmed that the legislation provides the authority to protect people and property from catastrophic wildfires, allowing for control of and pre-suppression of fire by any means necessary.

Overall, the sponsors have made numerous modifications to the bill to address fire management concerns of federal and state agencies and local residents resulting in a reduction to the proposal by 15,000 acres. In addition, committee members were given evidence of the overwhelmingly local support, including letters from various businesses, timber interests, adjacent landowners, towns, counties, equestrians, and a petition of support from approximately 800 residents of Del Norte County.

After four years of discussions, public meetings and working groups convened by Thompson, Feinstein and Boxer, HR 233/S. 128 has now progressed further than previous attempts at preserving these last remaining wild spaces along California's North Coast. The bill now awaits a full vote in the House Resources Committee.

"Well crafted, well planned environmental stewardship can go hand-in-hand with economic development. In the 21st century, California will rely less on extractive wealth and more on tourism and recreation dollars," said Ray Krauss, Napa County resident and past president of the American Mining Association. "This legislation will enable future generations to live, work and play among our beautiful local treasures. I look forward to this bill soon becoming law," added Krauss.

As a result of this inclusive process, the Northern California Coastal Wild Heritage Wilderness Act has received unprecedented bipartisan local and statewide support from a wide variety of interests, including more than 50 local elected officials from both sides of the political aisle. Hundreds of local land owners, businesses, timber mills, scientists, mountain bikers, Native Americans, hunters, anglers, winemakers, religious groups and members of other diverse user groups support this piece of legislation.

The Northern California Coastal Wild Heritage Wilderness Act would designate key landscapes as wilderness and protect segments of the Black Butte River as a wild and scenic river. Areas of special value include the King Range, which includes the longest stretch of undeveloped coastline in the contiguous United States and the Cedar Roughs proposed wilderness, which shelters the largest grove in the world of the rare Sargent cypress. Endangered and threatened species whose habitats would be protected by the bill include: the bald eagle, California brown pelican, steelhead trout, coho salmon, northern spotted owl and Roosevelt elk.

Over the last 20 years, 700,000 acres of potential wilderness has been lost to development and destruction in California. At that rate, 90 percent of California's remaining public wild lands will be lost within the next century if action is not taken to permanently protect them.

gloomis
08-25-2005, 06:15 PM
the first two pictures are of us in our boat wiht a boat load of fish coming into shelter cove, the weather was great

Silver_Hilton
08-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind that this might be the last year to fish out of Shelter Cove. They are thinking of making it into a reserve. ???

That is an awesome launch!...great pics!....

I'm not a local resident...but Scott2, your quoted piece (Eureka Times?)...seems to indicate some pretty broad support for the land protection....politically speaking (i.e. both parties, most residents, industry[?!?!]). Where is it mentioned that there would be corresponding marine protection that would prevent launching and/or fishing at Shelter Cove in that article?.....

wilbur
08-26-2005, 08:31 AM
S.H.(ie: not Paris)

Good question. After much research, the reserve would not allow any sprot fishing from shore to 10 miles out. This would effect Shelter Cove, Trinidad, Crescent City and Eureka. I will find some info on it and post it later on today.

Here is the problem... Yes, some guyes likemyself would not have a problem motoring out 10 miles. however, the majority of the boats in Shelter cove only fish 1-3 miles from shore. This would have a dramatic effect on the local economy in this area.

Silver_Hilton
08-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Scott2 - exactly the information I was missing. Thanks.

I can see how that would suck. Is the marine reserve part of the HR233 legislation, or something totally different? It suprises me that such a critical restriction on sportfishing would not have been mentioned in that press-piece.......

Cheers, S_H

wilbur
08-26-2005, 09:03 AM
I could not agree more. I spoke to the tackle shop in Shelter Cove this morning. I was told that there was a big meeting last week in the county and they are going to send me the minutes of the meeting. I will post them when I get them.

AllFishNoWork
08-29-2005, 12:24 PM
The tractor launching the boats is too funny :D

CenCoast_Angler
08-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Ya, the tractor launch is the way to go...unless you have 38 inch Super Swampers (in which case, you still may need a friend with a winch). The picture at the bottom of my post is a salmon from The Cove. 24 pounder last July trolling on the Annika with Sammy.
PK

Redwine
09-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Hey PK,

Awesome fish!!
I fished Shelter Cove the week of Aug. 15th, and we limited each day in an hour and a half. Fish up to 26lbs.
Beautiful flesh color on the hogs!!

Redwine

Rusty_Hooks
09-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Glad you did well....

That place is amazing....you just need to plan on new brakes ;) ;D