PDA

View Full Version : 10 mile 8-20 ... 8-23

65whaler
08-19-2005, 10:01 AM
no reports today folks? i need some good news. oh well. i'm fishing the next four days. can't wait. i'm taking my computer up with me so i'll report on this thread. holler if you're out.
/derek on the sakonnet

DonD
08-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Good luck out at 10 mile I should be at 10 mile on
Sunday if you can post saturday night that would tell
me if i should go to 10 Mile or to go to Golden Gate
If i go to 10 mile will be on Ch.77 My boat is 19ft.
C-Dory Blue/Wt. The Kathy Lee Good fishing to all. Don

65whaler
08-20-2005, 03:18 PM
the bait is still balled up nice in close from mclures, past elephant and kehoe, down well past abbot's lagoon - but today the salmon bite was not red hot. we got two early fish before 7:00 but they were small - keepable, but we shook them. trolled up a nice 24# salmon by 10:00 and another bbq fish by noon (we weren't so proud by then). went on the mooch in a sea of bait - shaker city. seems the high grade fish of last week have been infiltrated by the juniors. seems like there's a lot more action mooching. going again tomorrow. will follow up.
/derek on the sakonnet

gone fishin
08-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Way to go Derek,

I tried to call out for you yesterday but never heard back.
Right now its a total blast fishing for just about everything the sea has to offer right now...especially the Kings from the 20 - 40 lb range...Yahoo...

Good luck ...Ron ;D ;D

65whaler
08-21-2005, 01:07 PM
ron - don't know how i missed you ... i had my radio on all day. i'll be out tomorrow/ monday.

65whaler
08-22-2005, 03:42 PM
got all the way down to mclures/driftwood and put in there this morning. trolled round to 10 mile south of kehoe. lost a nice one and had another short takedown. then my first mate turned green so i had no choice but to tell him to swim for shore and thumb a ride. after he refused, i had to call it a VERY early day and bring the corpse home. this was by 9:00 a.m.

i did notice that those massive bait balls weren't there - 10 mile may be drying up. i've got one more day of hookie tomorrow. not sure what i'm doing.

CORN
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Bummer ... you should have dropped him off and gone back out. ;D How was the water out there? Marine forecast looks horrible, especially tomorrow. Thanks for the report.

65whaler
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
thanks for reminding me - considering there was a small craft advisory, it was great. when i left, the wind was blowing offshore. there was some bump from the previous day's blow, but very fishable. hoping for the same in the morning.

Fishquest
08-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Well 65whaler, did you make it back out today? Looks like good weather ahead and I need to know if there's any fish left out there! Thanks for any info you can share.

65whaler
08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
yes, i did make it out today - and i'm here to tell ya the weather men are about as good at guessing as i am. they guessed a northwest gale, and i guessed i'd be mooching bait balls at kehoe. neither happened. it was a very nice day on the water. but the bait was gone. i mean zippo. you know it's bad when the seagulls are following you around praying for a chance to steal your bait.

i trolled mclures all the way down to abbot's lagoon - a good way down 10 mile - and didn't see any bait. turned around to troll back. i managed to catch the smallest salmon i've ever seen - about a foot long. he didn't even release my downrigger snap. i found him when checking bait.

i was down there with rick on the new sea angler. we were both working the beach. i was in close - he was running around from 60' to 120'. neither of us had any luck. until 1:00. rick found bait down where i turned around and was beckoning us down mid 10 mile. he got seven "brutes" in less than a half hour. unfortunately for me, i was all the way back north of mclures tearing my rigs down when he made the call. i didn't have enough fuel or time to run back down, but i guess something happened late. i went home and cleaned the skunk off my boat.

Fishquest
08-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the info; wish things could have worked out better for you. Sorry to hear the bait has moved; that bite down on the beaches is a lot of fun.

65whaler
08-24-2005, 09:23 AM
i'm not sure it's over just yet - like i said, rick did find some bait and big fish eventually. but it's not like it was in the past ten days. mooching is probably not an option anymore.

CORN
08-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the report 65whaler. I sure hope they'll be back. I might give it another go soon. Looks like I'll bring the rockfish equipment just in case.

gone fishin
08-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey, don't give up yet.... ;D ;D

They are still hammering the Salmon at Fort Bragg, that means they are still migrating down....

Bait moves around like the Salmon. They need food as well. Tides, currents, plankton and temperature all has an affect on the bait...

Look for plankton and/or flat spots on the water, birds feeding even porpuses...
The baits still there its just moved.

We might venture back over on Sunday..

Good luck...Ron