PDA

View Full Version : North Coast Re-Opener

HSUSteelie
08-09-2005, 10:35 AM
For those of you who live up here in the redwoods, get ready the big blue opens back up for the second half on August 14th so get ready for some good fishing!!!

Mickey_Thomas
08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't live up there but have boat and camper and will travel for Salmon 8) Where's the best place to launch up there?

HSUSteelie
08-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I have only fished out of Trinidad, just because the bar at Humboldt Bay is a little on the dangerous side(some times lareg ie 40 foot boats can't get out not mention swells breaking in between the jetties at low tides from time to time). If you launch out of Trinidad you have two options:

1) Pay $25 to get launched off the sling/roller - Your boat gets lifted off your trailer on to a cradle that backs you into the water.

2) Launch off the beach if you have 4wd. On a nice day like today this is not a problem, the harbor was flat as a lake but sometimes it can be tricky. Most guys use waders to load and launch there, it makes it easier. I have seen guys with 20' fiberglass boats launch off the beach before, so it is do-able with a larger boat.

The first half was red hot, with limits being caught as close to a mile off shore. I hear of people fishing for rockcod catching a few here and there. The fall runs aren't in the rivers yet so it should be good. Hot setups where RSK's and hoochies fished between 50-150' deep. I will try and post some reports openeing week.

Chris

beenfishin
08-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Hey HSU,
How about an update? I fished Trinidad Bay on saturday from my kayak, and did really well on the lings/blacks. Would love a good reason to make the trip back over the hill to hook a nice salmon...
Tight lines,
beenfishin

VS
08-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Fished out of Trinidad for the first time a couple weeks ago for lings in a 17' Montauk (fishing was good!) The sling launch is sweet, easy but v. expensive at $25. I choose not to launch off the beach, after realizing how shallow it was due to the tide, how much exposure to salt your vehicle will get, how wet I would get plus there were occasional waves breaking.

HSUSteelie
08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I was out at the Trinidad Pier yesterday to scope things out. The bottom fishing appeared to be good, a few people there cleaning limits of rockfish and a couple nice lings.

As far as launching off the beach, it really does depend on the swell, tide and wind. Yesterday afternoon was super flat, no waves that would cause a problem were breaking. Today there are similar conditions. The sling is much easier like you said, I just have a hard times swallowing the $25 to launch.

As soon as it opens I will post some reports, although I will be at Eagle Lake through the salmon opener I plan on going out Tuesday mid-day, weather permitting.

HSU Steelie

flobob
08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
worst reopener in years, hope it picks up.

HSUSteelie
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Yup that's about right, lots of boats and not a lot of fish. Heard of a few fish caught between the whistler and 4 miles out. Hopefully it will pick up in the next few weeks.

HSU Steelie

Chetco_Indian
08-18-2005, 06:10 AM
HSU Take a trip with your buds to the Klamath.Call panther creek rv for the report. HS class 66