PDA

View Full Version : Banana Eaters Hung at 10 Mile Beach

nogimmies
07-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Fished 10 mile on Friday and ended up with -0-.
Went out in my Bayrunner 18. What a great morning on the ocean.
Fished five out of the last seven days with no Salmon.
Last time out I took my buddy from work and his Bro In Law.
Somebody Stashed a Long slender Yellow(now Black ) object in back of my Battery cover. This person is now back in the midwest and probably Laughing.
I knew something was wrong----5 days and no fish.
Then it hit me. There must be a Banana onboard somewhere.
Well let me tell ya. If that &*^%*&^)(*^&%&^ ever shows up again he will be a swingin from the pole at 10 mile parkin lot.
Conditions were perfect except I couldn't buy a bite.
Trolled 10 mile from the towers north and back again. Fished from 14-40 ft depths. Tons of bait balls in the water all around. Tried mooching right below the balls.
Nothing-- so went back to draggin.
Gave up around 11:00 and headed to the 300' mark.
Trolled for another hour--0---.
Man these fish are finicky this year. It wasn't the fish!!
IT was that D--n Banana.
Headed back to Tomales at 3:30pm and called it a day.

Decided to give it a shot early Sat.
Left Bodega at 6:20 and went to 10 mile using my Newer garmin 232. Blasted thru the fog and hit my mark from the previous day and dumped in the Lines
Pulled into 10 mile at 7:00 and trolled
Got hooked up in about 5 *min with a shaker 18" ball bustin trout size midget.
Ended up finally breakin the 2005 Skunk and caught a 16 lber in 32 feet off the beach at 10 mile between the Towers and Keyhoe.Used my old favorite Blue RSK and Chovie at 25 pulls on a 2lb ball."If the fish Don't chew go to BLUE".
Trolled and mooched for a bit more and pulled the plug at 12:20. Headed to the Head at 220 ft and saw Lots of Pelicans diving and tons of Muirs.
Dragged Blue crocks and WM apex and Old blue rsk
Buddy got one one the Blue crok-12 lber and His son hooked up about 20 min later-3:05 on the Apex.
That one got away.
Well eneded up 2 for 3 to 16lbs-Fish in the Box
The skunk is gone.
Finally got to "Whack em"!!!!-My buddies in law is History!!!
What a difference in conditions from Friday to Sat.
Good size swells but very fishable.
Hopefully no one ended up on the beach.
-------- "Keep the Bananas at Home" -----------------

14_blast
07-24-2005, 05:09 PM
There's something about that Blue Croc....good stuff!

Don't you feel better after you get that first one in the box...no more skunk.

nogimmies
07-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Oh Ya
Bananas'and boats-- don't mix
Finally got to exercise my "club".
and it did feel good!!!!!!

Mickey_Thomas
07-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Next time your buddy shows up club him ;D I'll joke about sticking a banana in someone's boat but to actually do it? No way ??? At least the skunk is gone and now you can catch more Salmon because "you know you're going to" ;D ;D

nogimmies
07-24-2005, 06:22 PM
I did club him and He's hanging at 10 mile beach
ARRRrrrrrr!!!!

Fishquest
07-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I had 2 people out with me on Friday, the bait was stacked off Kehoe, and even without banana issues all we could muster was a pair of shakers. Full moon, warm water, something just wasn't right, cause it was SLOOOOOW going. Might be time to make sure the tuna gear is ready for action....wouldn't be suprised to hear some good news on that front by midweek.

Grady208
07-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Way to go nogimmies glad to here you caught some salmon! I should be out in about a week! I'll get my boat hopefuly on friday. ken

nogimmies
07-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Ken,
Right on. Glad to hear about the Grady
IT will feel good for you to be back on the Big Blue thats for sure.
I heard that the Tuna were starting to show out 30 miles PAST Cordell Banks.
The gear is ready I just want them a bit closer-Wishful Thinking!!!
Also are you rigged for tuna -Gear wise????
Salmon Tackle I found can really get pushed to the limit when a 20-30 lb tuna Whacks the lure. Hang on.
Eric/nogimmies

Earlyo
07-24-2005, 08:49 PM
I have heard this phrase before but what is the meaning about Bananas and fishing?

Grady208
07-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Eric Tuna? Hell i'm not even rigged for salmon yet!never had the boat in the water! But would very much like to try for albacore once i get my stuff together. I haven't sport fished for salmon in about 10 years.When i had the 22 foot commercial boat i fished out of Half Moon bay for salmon and rock cod but will fish out of Bodega and GG now. I still have my garmin gps and a inexspensive ff that came with the boat but looking to buy a lowrance color sonar maybe the 337 combo unit and a couple of downriggers like Micky thomas has on his boat. I'll see how much $$$ are left after they install my kicker. i'm having a dual binnicle istalled and will be able to operate everything from up front.Hope to see you out there once i get going. Ken

marnilr
07-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Some may say it's an old wives tale but I have seen and heard too many situations where the banana on the boat has caused no fish. *I've heard it has to do with the oils in the skin...

I've also heard fishing for salmon with tuna sandwiches on board for lunch is a bad idea... anyone heard of that?

Fishbutt21
07-24-2005, 09:22 PM
even when I was in hawaii and had wanted to go out for tuna and wahoo the charter boat capt. said "NO F*$#ing BANANAS" *On his boat

Fishbutt21
07-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Salmon sandwiches on a tuna boat are no good either

Reddingfisherman
07-25-2005, 06:20 AM
The most plausible explanation that I have read for bananas being bad luck is that passengers and crew of 17th and 18th century sailing ships would buy cases of bananas for cheap in Africa for the journey across the ocean. These large cases would contain all sorts of vermin poisonous snakes, spiders, disease carrying rats, etc. that would escape during the voyage and cause all kinds of havoc on the long journey across the ocean. The other explanation is that ripening bananas release large amounts of ethylene gas (the same stuff they use in produce trucks to ripen green tomatoes on their journey to market). The high concentrations of ethylene gas in the hold caused all the other fruits and vegetables to ripen and subsequently rotten very quickly.

Knowing that one of the only ways to keep passengers and crew from bringing bananas on board was to leverage their fear of the long and dangerous ocean journey, these captains started the legend that bananas are bad luck.

Come to think of it, Im thinking of starting a story that pistachios and sunflower seeds are bad luck on a boat just hate cleaning those off the deck at the end of the day!

nogimmies
07-25-2005, 06:52 AM
How about pretzels and Soda crackers.
I'm always munchin on those and always catch fish when doin so.
Helps to relieve the anxiety of catching that "monster".

Bananas have always been bad luck for me.
First thing I usually do is go thru guys Lunches.
If there is a banana on board---Into the trash it goes
If on the water-throw it in front of someone elses boat.
That will Jinx them for sure.
More fish for me. Seals won't go near them either--Gives em an inner ear infection that makes them wail and groan-Something similar to a birthing young whale.
Now that could be made into a movie!!!!???!!!???!!!
Any thoughts??????
nogimmies

Chinook
07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
The scientific reason I heard is Bannanas are of course high in potassium and potassium is repulsive to fish so when you touch the bannana and then bait your hook or handle your lure you get the potassium on your rig which repels the fish. Also I never gas up the day im fishing so I dont have that on my hands.

Sea_Snake
07-25-2005, 02:38 PM
I saw a banana in the water off bodega head about a mile out. Guess someone got told to chuck it overboard.Got no salmon on sat and one 15lb on sun, warm water 61 to 64 deg. Lots of action on the screen well below 100'