PDA

View Full Version : Salmon fishing off the Piers?

Collegebound
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
What kind of rods and reels is everybody using to fish for salmon of the piers like pacifica and benecia?
Party boat fishing is getting to be too expensive ;D

I assume most people use a mooching rod, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Any personal suggestions or prefered rigs?
Thanks

14_blast
07-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I would use a 12' surf casting reel and rod. I would prefer a spinning reel since I'm not that good with a casting reel. You could probably find an inexpensive rod/reel combo in the Bass Pro Catalogue. If you want to spend $$$'s, there's always Lamiglas, G-Loomis, and Rogue Rods....and the high end shimano spinning reels.

Good luck with your choice.

blue_chrush
07-22-2005, 11:19 PM
at the pacifica pier get a 12ftr and buy the biggest
piece of crap one you can get your hands on....also a
hoop ring crab net with at least 60ft of line...why??
cause on the piers you have to learn to cast over the '
rail under hand and use a float rig with a slider and
bait...and then you have to lower your net to get your
fish...and if you think someones going to help you, you
better know how to make friends in a gun battle....cause
out there its like everyone for themselfs.....welcome to a
whole new world of fishing fun.....good luck :'( :-/ ;) :)

it can be a rough crowd on a good weekend.....

Double_D
07-23-2005, 03:39 AM
at the pacifica pier get a 12ftr and buy the biggest
piece of crap one you can get your hands on....also a
hoop ring crab net with at least 60ft of line...why??
cause on the piers you have to learn to cast over the '
rail under hand and use a float rig with a slider and
bait...and then you have to lower your net to get your
fish...and if you think someones going to help you, you
better know how to make friends in a gun battle....cause
out there its like everyone for themselfs.....welcome to a
whole new world of fishing fun.....good luck :'( :-/ ;) :)

it can be a rough crowd on a good weekend.....

Finmuffin...blue crush said it perfect, for the Pacifica Pier..but PLEASE! don't bring the gear to Benicia,at Benicia use an 8.6 MH rod with a 8 to 20 lb. line rating
spinning or casting with 12lb. line and a Mepps flying C lure will work just fine, you can fish the Benicia State Park right now and you have a good chance to hook up, but it does not get started till Sept,Oct.

piscolabis
07-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Yesterday evening at 6:45 pm I drove over to check out the fishing. The Benicia Pier (First St.) is temporarily closed! It was chain-link fence closed off. Work looks nearly complete (needed to install light poles) and sign read closed until July 11. They're late. However, you can fish from the beach adjacent to the pier. I'm going out on my kayak to Paradise Cove or Benicia on Mon. or Tues. morn. for salmon and stripers.
On Benicia Pier they use spinning rods and lures with silver or gold blades and red, green, or yellow "bucktails" attached. A couple of the regulars sell these homemade lures on the pier for a couple bucks a lure. Most of the guys use them there and they catch lots of fish. Just ask anyone where the guys are when it gets busy. The Benicia Pier gets nearly shoulder to shoulder when the salmon are running, but the people are friendly.
Tom

piscolabis
07-23-2005, 10:59 AM
I forgot to mention that the pier edge is mostly boulder-fill. So you will most likely be fishing at the water's edge. You'll need a hand net unless you borrow one there (and I'm sure one of the guys wouldn't mind letting you use one or netting your fish for you). The end of the pier is built on pilings. The pier itself is now finished concrete and a nice restroom (looks fancy) has been built at the end.
Tom