PDA

View Full Version : salmon trolling reel and mooching outfit

lucky_fish
07-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Hello fellow anglers,

I was hoping to get some information re a good salmon trolling reel. I will be using this off a party boat and typically they troll w/ a 2.5 # weight. Can any one point me to a good quality reel (best if reasonably priced)? Any thoughts on the Okuma Classic Pro Star Trolling Series reels?

What type of rod,reel and line is the ideal salmon mooching outfit?

Any information provided is well appreciated.

Good fishing to you all.

14_blast
07-18-2005, 04:11 PM
imho, I would go with a Calstar West Coast Series Rod, #WC-270-7C, 7', 12-30lbs

I would go with a Penn Super Levelwind GTi, 340 GTi-4/0 or a Shimano Charter Special TR-2000LD. Both are levelwinds which is ok for anything inside the bay, including salmon. Now if you intend to go for Albacore, then I suggest you do not get a level wind reel. This is just my 2 cents. I'm sure there are other combo's out there that are as good if not better.

brian_m
07-18-2005, 09:53 PM
PENN 320gt for trolling and a PENN 310gti for mooching!

lucky_fish
07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the info on the trolling and mooching reels. I know Penn reels have been around for a long time are there any other type trolling reels that are popular for salmon trolling.

Any advice on mooching rods and lines?

If you can not tell, I would like to get into to this type of fishing but need help on getting set up. Like the carpenter always says measure twice, three times cut once. I want to do it right the first time.

From a neophyte ocean salmon fisher w/ a steep learning curve ahead.

Linesider
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
If you are trolling in the ocean, take the advice of the others on rods, but I troll in the rivers and have found a great reel that I just love. Take a look at it. It can be used for vaious applications. I've alse detailed out the rest of my rig. Use it for ideas and options should you find yourself in other spots besides the ocean. I use this rig for salmon and striper trolling in the Sac.

Reel: Cabela's Depthmaster Gold linecounter reel: DMG20 - this reel is a little larger than a typical bait casting reel so you can still palm it. They also make 1 version smaller, a few larger, you can get it without the line counter option and they make left handed models. Great price for the quality.

Rod: Shimano 7'6 Teramar West Coast Medium Heavy - also won't cripple your wallet has great backbone and a nice tip so you can see the action of your lures.

Line: 30 to 50lb Spider Wire Stealth (braid)...I can't stand the way other the other lines whistle as they pull through the guides - very noisey. The Stealth is real quiet.

Hope this helps.

65whaler
07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
they're not cheap, but the shimano tekota 500 reel has spoiled me rotten, and just this year i put my 7' ugly stick on my backup reel and picked up a medium 8' shimano tallus, which has very nice action. there is a 7' version which rates a little lower, but may be more apropriate for party boats. the 7' ugly stick is probably perfect for party boats.