PDA

View Full Version : HMB Jetty question

nateb
09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Iím going to be hitting up the north jetty this weekend and as I have said in previous posts, I am an amateur in jetty fishing. I know most fish are just a few feet off the jetty and for those I like to keep the rod in my hands at all times, but would I have any luck launching out and soaking a high low rig? I am guessing I would have to deal with some nasty snags and kelp not to mention the occasional crab, but if there is an opportunity for a hookup I am all for it! Any help or guidance is appreciated!

philosophy
09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
ive been there about 3-4 times now been getting skunked when soaking bait and throwing swimbaits into the rocks. I went to the end of the south a caught a bunch of kingfish. I'm thinking about going this weekend and throwing some weightless switbaits into the rocks. I lost about 4 to 5 big hammers last saturday when throwing into the rocks. i might be doing something wrong. so im pretty much in the same boat as your are. i know theres fish about i think we need to just know how to sucessfully fish the jetty. let me know if you want to rock this saturday

MB_Kevin
09-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm still not sure if you are allowed to use 2 rods on the jetty. I think it would be considered a pier and 2 rods OK and fishing without a license but have never figured out if I was correct on that. If so I would throw a high low rig out while doing what ever other fishing I decided to do in the area. If anyone knows if this is OK please post up.

I have fished it with a hi-low rig before without much luck but I would still like to have it out while poke poling or casting lures.

nateb
09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Master, you are dead on with my thoughts! *Two rods are always better than one, and i do have the two rod sticker. *Just wanna make sure it is both legal and worth it.

EDIT: Phil, thanks for the offer, ill let you know if i do end up going out!

vinhle68
09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi All,

I got the info below from the CDF 2008 Ocean Sport Fishing Regulation manual. Good luck on your trip.

Fishing license are exempt from the Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp.
A Two-Rod Stamp is not required for fishing in ocean waters.

nateb
09-06-2008, 11:16 PM
It was decided real early this morning that we were going to head out to the jetty. Two black perch were caught and 1 was donated by the father/son fishing next to us. Not a great day, but decent enough. I must say thejetty has produced some of the nicest people i have ever had the pleasure of fishing near. They people next to us also mentioned that the south jetty, being more sandy, can produce rays and sharks. If this is true, looks like the south jetty next time for me!

Northern_Boy
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I know this is an old post but it's important; I have noticed quite a few people fishing with two rods on the HMB Jetty this year.

If you are fishing for rockfish you can only use one pole.

if you are on the HMB jetty then you are fishing for rockfish. You can claim perch or whatever but there's no way the DFG will believe it.

Just don't want you Sniffers getting a ticket; the DFG often check people in the parking lot and scan the jetty with binoculars. They have even made the effort to walk out there a few times in the few years I have been fishing there.

MB_Kevin
10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info Northern_Boy.

hooked_fishin
10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
like to use 4 oz lead head and 4-6" rootbeer or clear chartuse twin tail scampy jig and walk the jetty rock and very 20 ft throw out about 10 ft and jig back keep on bottom, i make about 6 cast then move that how i got alot of lings and cabs and rocks the only thing that sucks when your way out at the end and you have 2 big lings and you have to jump from rock to rock with the fish and the pole and gear all the ways back and when you miss and your hands are full that hurts. but its worth it. yes it is :D

hooked_fishin
10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
watch this i do this all the time in hmb but you can't understand them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKsOIxTCns

MB_Kevin
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Nice fish, I think Im missing something without being able to understand him. I wonder why he has 3 videos similar to each other without ever taking them out of the water?

FishinRaiders
10-31-2008, 11:56 AM
He was trying to talk his buddy into "lipping" the fish like a bass..haha

I think hey had no clue how to get it out of the water with no net or gaff