PDA

View Full Version : New to bay area fishing, looking for piers

wooyang
10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I finally got my hands on few fishing poles! No idea where to go to fish though. I went to the Pacifica pier on route 1. I caught few croakers(kingfish?) but they weren't that big. Most of the people out there were crabbing. Now I know (to my knowledge), crabbing areas aren't really good places to catch fish.
I know another pier by San Francisco, but they catch crabs there all the time too.

I know a pier near by Crissy Fields, but I don't know what's happening around there.

If you guys can help me find a good pier to go fishing near the area, that'd be awesome. Also information on when the pier closes and what fish are biting and what not. Thanks!

Phinger28
10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
pierfishing.com *

Im from Sacramento and dont fish the bay area very often, but when i do; i always look at this site to find good info about piers in the bay area. *If you have a specific pier in mind, im sure there is at least one sniffer out there that can give you some info on recent happenings.

wooyang
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
ah thanks.

Which of those piers are near bay area? there's so many and they dont really specify them.

aznboi320
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
what are you looking to catch? mackerel, shark, hali, striper, or sturgeon?

wooyang
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
just like smaller fish. Good sized Croakers(kingfish), bass, etc.
The ones I was getting in pacifica were pretty small. like palm size

MB_Kevin
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
There is also alot of crabs at the pier by Crissy Fields but it is easier to fish then the pacifica pier. If you want to get away from the crabs I would go more into piers by candlestick or oyster point. The Pacifica Pier is kind of hard to fish with the waves and all, when you get into the bay it is easier (for me) to get fish. I have gotten king fish off oyster point when using big baits and not targeting them.

Fish_R_Us
10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
The CF&G website has a multi-page pamplet that describes most of the public piers around the SF Bay Area. It had alot of information regarding piers ranging from Point Pinole (EBRPD - East Bay Regional Park District) down to most of the San Francisco piers that are managed by the GGNRA (Golden Gate National Recreation Area). I don't know if it is still accesible, but I downloaded a copy several years ago.