PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Sharks in Dec?

MontanaN8V
11-30-2007, 07:47 AM
I have the kids a lot this month, and they like fishing for them, so, are they still on the bite this time of year? Have not heard much about them last month or so on here?

GCinGV
11-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I think that normally the fresh water would have pretty much pushed them out by then but with these low flows they may still be in. Iíd try the South Bay where the freshwater inflows are less and you may pick up some Sturgeon or Stripers even if the Leopards arenít in.
Good luck
GC

kromebrite
11-30-2007, 12:21 PM
As long as the rains don't flush the system with fresh, they will be around in the bays. San Pablo, South bay etc. Good luck. 8-)

Fishmom
11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I got a nice 40" leopard on a sardine chunk a week ago near the end of the Vallejo rock wall . However, the bite was slow that day, and that was the only fish for 4 hours of effort.

wood2turn
11-30-2007, 07:25 PM
I gotta ask now...

Why fish for Leopard Sharks? Do you eat them? We don't have them around here and nobody in their right mind wants to catch the little sand sharks. Although if we troll bait for the Salmon Slow enough that's all you do catch. ;)

I just have never heard anyone say why they fish specifically for them.

Thanks,
Terry

metalmouth
11-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Terry,

Not only do they fish for them specifically, they do eat them as well. A Salt Water Board Search will give you some recipes. ;)

MM

MontanaN8V
11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Kids voted, shark or pheasant, we are going shark fishin at Bolinas lagoon in the morning. Going to go soak some squid and see what hits! ;) Yeah Terry, we eat the ones between 36-42" but tomorrow is catch and release. We still have a shark fillet in the freezer to eat, and not sure about eating anything this soon after the spill. They say it is safe now, but do not want to feed my little ones more poison than they already get. Will wait to keep another one until late spring. The reason we target them from shore, is it gives me time with the kids, they can relax and play, it is a safe area with lots of stuff for them to entertain themselves with, and heck, the sharks put up a great fight for a 6 and 8 year old. (And me too!)

GCinGV
12-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Terry,
Leopards are actually very good to eat, somewhat similar to Halibut but not quit as firm. For years I didnít keep any then my son kept one and cooked it and I was pleasantly surprised. They have some fat making them excellent for the BBQ or smoked. Like Montana said they also put up a good fight; pound for pound about like a Sturgeon.
Gary

MontanaN8V
12-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Went out, it was low tide when we got there, but fished the channel along the highway. Fished for four hours, nada. Should have fished the inlet, but did not have gear to donate. Cold as all heck, wind was blowing hard, and kids were cold. Might have better luck next time.

gomezfish
12-02-2007, 03:23 AM
the inlet at slack tide ;)

janbfishinfolk
12-02-2007, 06:29 AM
When I heard you were going out I though oh man its cold out there. It was 25 degrees here yesterday morning. Too cold for my old bones.

MontanaN8V
12-02-2007, 12:03 PM
It was cold John. Should have fished the inlet Andy, I guess I was just lazy, and did not want to retie a bunch of knots. Had fun no less.

EastBayAngler
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I gotta ask now...

Why fish for Leopard Sharks? Do you eat them?

I just have never heard anyone say why they fish specifically for them.

Thanks,
Terry

I target spotties all year around! Right now is a great time to get em. As soon as the rain starts they will find salter water... Leopard shark IMHO is the best eating of all sharks, including-Thresher. They grow to 7' long which makes for a fight. And their all meat! ;)

Last year I caught almost 30 leopard sharks and ate about 8 to 10 of them! Now that the water is reopen...Spot ON! 8-)

exocet
12-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Fishing for leopards is a blast especially the big ones. San Pablo bay up on the flats off hamilton. I'm sure there's tons of nice ones out there just waiting for you. *I just catch and release I don't eat them. If you do eat lepoards from the bay make sure you follow the state health advisory regarding consumption becasue leopards are some of the most polluted fish in the bay. Adults should eat no more than two meals per month and no striped bass over 35 inches. *Children under six and women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or may become pregnant should eat no more than one meal per month, and should not eat any striped bass over 27 inches or any shark over 24 inches. *

EastBayAngler
12-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Next thing you know beer and cigarettes will kill ya!...HAY wait a minute >:(

MontanaN8V
12-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Sharks have been proven to ward off cancer. There is something in their system that prohibits them from getting cancer, SO, if you take a bite of shark before each puff, and chase it with a cold one, no bad effects! I chew Copenhagen, so, what I do, is eat my shark steak, with a chew in. The mercury in the flesh of the shark attaches to the grains of tobacco I swallow, and is excreted, and the anti-cancer properties of the shark remain, flushing my system!

EastBayAngler
12-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Sharks have been proven to ward off cancer. There is something in their system that prohibits them from getting cancer, SO, if you take a bite of shark before each puff, and chase it with a cold one, no bad effects! I chew Copenhagen, so, what I do, is eat my shark steak, with a chew in. The mercury in the flesh of the shark attaches to the grains of tobacco I swallow, and is excreted, and the anti-cancer properties of the shark remain, flushing my system!

WERE SAVED!!! ;D

willyc
12-04-2007, 05:53 PM

the thought of this makes me gag!!! lol

MB_Kevin
12-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Sharks have been proven to ward off cancer. *There is something in their system that prohibits them from getting cancer, SO, if you take a bite of shark before each puff, and chase it with a cold one, no bad effects! *I chew Copenhagen, so, what I do, is eat my shark steak, with a chew in. *The mercury in the flesh of the shark attaches to the grains of tobacco I swallow, and is excreted, and the anti-cancer properties of the shark remain, flushing my system! *

Dang I knew I should have started eating sharks when I first caught one. ;D

Crass
12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Theyve been hittin pretty decent in the SFBay.. hah, unfortunately we got a sneaky little night spot.. thats.. right damn near to where the ship hit the bridge.

so the sandsharks have been there a bit more than the leps, but bat rays have started comin out.. real fun!

MontanaN8V
12-07-2007, 12:14 AM
So Crass, share the love man, when are you going to take other sniffers with ya? I am open Saturday!

BigSharkCatching
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Here's a little female caught last December along the SF Embarcadero (south of pier 7 ;)):
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/Danjkeating/Shark5.jpg

BigSharkCatching
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
well... there's half of it anyways. LOL, can't seem to resize it.

Crass
12-10-2007, 01:31 AM
haha, you sir know whats up. EMB rocks for leps. thats a nice one, too!! hah, all our pics are usually phone photos under a docklight.

Feesh-On
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Leopard sharks are great fighting as well.

Cool looking sharks!

gomezfish
12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
ill save sharkin for the summer time!! ive been busy hookin up on stripers and in the spring ill spend a lot of time in the mountains getting at trout

MontanaN8V
12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
So when are we going striper fishin dude? Surgery is on the 8th of Jan, and will be out of the game for 6 weeks.

gomezfish
12-13-2007, 09:19 PM
im gonna try to get a weekend off here pretty quick , an overnight on montezuma is in the works! ill shoot you my house # stripers and a possible sturgeon can happen out there , i figure the more poles in the water the better the chances of hookin one are!

Crass
12-14-2007, 03:26 AM
any room for a new sniffer if some fade is thrown? gotta know the details.. but ive never really had anyone show me the ropes as most fishin goes. pretty much a selftought pier and bass kid.

MontanaN8V
12-14-2007, 08:49 AM
DEATH BY NUMBERS! I like your thinkin Andy. ;)

EastBayAngler
12-14-2007, 06:00 PM
A little birdy told me that a few nice sharks were caught in shallow water (10')by the Radio Station. Just thought you guys may want to know! ;)

EBA

gomezfish
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
crass...there plenty of room and we wont need gas cuz i fish from the bank!(no boat) you can fade up on some beer!! ;D

Crass
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
that my friend, haha, i will be more than happy to do.

gotta at least catch a buzz, right?

Feesh-On
12-16-2007, 09:17 PM
I got a couple 22's if you guys have room on the bank for another?

How far from Sunnyvale?

;D

Crass
12-17-2007, 12:28 AM
hmm.. im not sure. im from Pacifica, i think he's in Pittsburg.. so we've effectively created a triangle that, well is mainly seperated by the bay. hah! i know not of any spots really, that are off the peninsula.. so.. uh... i dunno im really good with whatever! ;D

Orsa_Fisher
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I might join for shark from the bank pretty much anywhere.
I am in the Sunnyvale corner of the triangle

Big_Easy
12-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Try the rockwall! ;) If it's the weekend, I may be able to meet some of the fellow sniffers on the bank! Sniffer shark fishing bank bashing good time!

Crass
12-17-2007, 04:12 PM
i wouldnt mind some good weekend shark hittin.. doubt im goin to the lake this weekend.. so i can prolly wing something. ;D

gomezfish
12-17-2007, 05:58 PM
probly the best leopard sharkin i ever did was at bolinas lagoon, drove out there by myself one day and hooked into 50 inch sharks dam near all day , in shallow water too , this fish and game dude came by (forgot his name) and said " i feel like im on a fishing show"

Crass
12-18-2007, 04:13 AM
reaaaally, now? hmm.. thats only about an hour from me. i could prolly do that.. might even be able to con my buddy into it.. seein as he got a new salt setup and hasnt gotten to use it! ;D

if you guys are down, lets try and set somethin up. ill see what i can do.

Feesh-On
12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm in for Sunday... - would be ok for Sat...but apparently I am heading to Monterey Bay Aquariums for a much anticipated visit.

Sunday anyone? Probably not due to football. :-/

Crass
12-19-2007, 10:59 PM
im down.

anyone else?

id love to meet some of yall and do some fishin!!

Orsa_Fisher
12-21-2007, 09:22 AM
I am still debating sharks vs poke pulling.
Someone said surf is high
But tide is negative at Moss Landing at 3PM tomorrow.
So I am thinking to give it a shot.

Crass
12-21-2007, 04:56 PM
hey man, if youre gonna head down there tomarrow for the 3pm low.. mind havin a tag-along? ;)

gomezfish
12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
i work retail so im gonna be busy this weekend but looks like im gonn have some new shark buddys this spring/summer

MontanaN8V
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Replacing me Andy? :'(

gomezfish
12-25-2007, 09:02 PM
lol!

i figure we can get more people to meet up with , kill some sharks then go get hammerd at smilys after

Orsa_Fisher
12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
hey man, if youre gonna head down there tomarrow for the 3pm low.. mind havin a tag-along? *;)

Hey Crass, sorry I did not read this thread since lst post.

I was gonna go with my friends.
Ended being alone since they were to busy :(

Got nothing on Saturday so it is good to some extent that you did not waste your time.

I will post the rest on poke poling thread

Striperman
12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
i sure would love to get after some sharks before the rains get here... i know just where they are hiding too..... i am just too busy huntin lately to even think about it..

i really need to quiet working. its been gettin in the way of my huntin and fishin

LIVAI
08-15-2008, 07:34 AM
JUST HAD A QUICK QUESTION, IS SHARK AND RAY FISHING OK IN THE WINTER MONTHS (IE RAIN, COLD WEATHER)

Phinger28
10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I live in Sacramento and would like to catch something a little more exotic than a striped bass. Leopards look so cool and i heard that they make good table fare, but since i live such a distance away from the bay i would like to make a trip worth while. From what i have read here on the FishSniffer, Bolinas lagoon seems like a killer spot that i would like to try, but its is getting towards the end of the season if i understand correctly. Its mid-october and we have not seen a major storm system yet. Does this mean that there could be potentially good leopard fishing still?

Crass
10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Still goin on, this is prime time, more or less if you find a good spot. the fishing has more or less been pretty weak this year tho.. try south & eastbay spots.

MB_Kevin
10-13-2008, 08:15 PM
There are definitely still sharks in the bay. That is all I caught last week on 3 trips. None were the legal 3' but I was fishing from shore. Go get them. ;)

MontanaN8V
10-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Went to Bolinas yesterday for nothing.