PDA

View Full Version : Bobo sharkin

drinkin_buddy
06-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Went out this morning for a quick shot at some leopards and I was lucky enough to have hooked into my first Leopard @ 42". I got him on a frozen midshipmen at the top of the tide. Time for tacos baby! I don't know how to put up a picture on this site but I will and post it asap.

fishingrick57
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
way to go on your first leopard ;)

What is BoBo sharkin?

drinkin_buddy
06-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Bobo is the given name by the locals for the Bolinas Lagoon. It's a fun place to kill some time and come home with some quality fish. I have gone there now about four times and serves my fix for some laid back bank fishing. I had to pay my dues and learn as I went but it sure was sweet the last couple times I went.

Crass
06-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Ive never had a bad time at Bolinas. Got there at the wrong time so i didnt get one in(aside from somethin HUGE that spit the hook when it crossed lines with my buddies who didnt reel in.. for some reason..)before, but ALWAYS fun. Free bait if you know whatcher doin, too.

drinkin_buddy
07-01-2008, 06:00 AM
I would like to learn how to get the bait so it is a contained and complete experience if you know what I mean. I did that in Hawaii and it was a blast. Starting from the begining, getting crustaceans from the rocks, then catching the small fish in the rocks when the surf breaks, to the final product of hooking into a keeper with the local bait. What a blast! Let me in on that info if you would and if you want to keep it private just PM me....Tight lines....Don

Crass
07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
well, you know when the tide is low in Bobo? all those little holes.. just dig em up if you dont have a pumper, there lies fresh live SHRIMP! oh yeah.. just go for it.. cant go wrong with some live bait along with the normal arsenal for sharks & rays..

jetfishn
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
uh, what are all those small geysers around you while fishing during low tide??? Clams?? They seem to get pretty good distance with a stream of water!!!

drinkin_buddy
07-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Crass... I will be all over that. I like some adventure when I go out that way if I don't hook up, atleast I had a good time....What types of shrimp? do they resemble grass shrimp? and does the pump thing resemble a large syringe with the end open?...Don

Crass
07-02-2008, 01:02 AM
not sure the kind of shrimp.. shrimp all kinda look the same to me.. not ghost shrimp, i dont think, tho.. ive seen em kinda pinky and some dead ones wash up that are pretty vibrant blue..

the pump, as far as ive been told by some bros of mine, sounded like some sort of f-ed up vacuum thatll just suck em up and you can dump em out.. eh.. kindy hazy on the details, sorry.

drinkin_buddy
07-02-2008, 05:44 AM
That's ok...I am greatful for the info. The next time I am out I will collect some shrimp and take a picture. Maybe someone will be able to identify the shrimp.......Don

CDK
07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I think whatyou are talking about is a clam gun.
I looked for a site with a demo. and this is the best off hand.
http://www.romantic-oregon-coast.com/digging-for-clams.html
They are easy to make and cheap to buy.

MB_Kevin
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I didn't think you would find that under romantic vacations. :P ;D

CDK
07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Duh ::) Clams be mateing. ;D

Dday
07-10-2008, 07:11 AM
SOUNDS FUN!!!! I fish the Delta and Napa river for bass and Dino's. I was just out in the Bay aiming for some bat rays and sharks and had a blast with the Ray's. No luck on the sharks :-/

Can you anybody tell me a little more about Bolinas? Directions to get there, Where to fish from the banks, best baits etc? Any info would be great 8-)

drinkin_buddy
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Bolinas is a hoot if you want to kill a little time and bring home possibly a prize ray or shark. I myself love the place, it's simple. I fish on the opposite side of the Lagoon from the town of Bolinas, along Highway One. I fish the top of the high tide and hang out until the water is really rippin' and then I pack it up. I have been out there about five times now and I have learned to fish the hour before to the hour after the tide change. I have had a lot of hits on squid and Herring but my first keeper was on a Midshipman. I have been told there are perch out there also. When I was cleaning my catch I checked the stomach contents and found crab and one good sized perch, so that is a good start for bait. When I fish with Squid, I try to set the hook immediately and when I am using the Midshipman, I just let em' run and then tighten my drag and bring them in. Google Bolinas Lagoon and Midshipman, lots of good reading and satellite views/maps for you....tight lines, Don

Dday
07-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Right on drinkin buddy! i'm def gonna go check it out and hopefully hook a shark! i bet they make for a great photo too =)

gotta love the fight on them rays too so i cant wait!!! thanks.. maybe i'll see ya up there and the first 12 pack is on me ;D

drinkin_buddy
07-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Glad to be of help. All that I know about that place has come from the helpful bunch here on this board. Good group of guys that want you catch fish like them. Good luck

jpangie707
07-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey D-day Im in Let me know ;). Thanx for the info DB!!

slowriprun
07-17-2008, 05:09 PM
thinking of taking a couple of kids out to Bo this weekend. Anyone been out in the last couple of days?

drinkin_buddy
07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I haven't been for over a couple of weeks. The weathor should be good, no smoke...I will be taking my father on Sunday for some catch and release. I still have some in the freezer. That reminds me, I am going to pull some Leopard steaks out and deep fry them in little pieces. Nothing like a good buttermilk beer batter piece of fish with some dipping sauces. Will report back on Sunday....Tight lines..

drinkin_buddy
07-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Well I finally made it out to the Lagoon today with my father at the top of the incomming and fished it for about two hours. I got a good work out with two leopards landed, both around 4' and one that came unbuttoned and my father didn't score unfortunately( All were C&R). I told him "that means he has to come back and set the matter straight"and he agreed. At the change of the tide the action stopped and so we made our way back towards home. We stopped off in the town of Point Reyes and were looking for some breafast when we stumbled on to a place called the Pine Diner. We were a starvin' but the payoff was golden. One of the best breakfast meals I have had the pleasure of. You name it they made it and I think I ate it....staying awake on the way home was tough but all in all, a fine fishing day.

Phisherman44
07-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Sounds like you had great day DB. Went out today myself and didn't have any luck but had a real nice time nonetheless. Dont get up to Pt reyes much but its always good to know about a good diner....I always have to give a new diner's gravy a try the first time I visit, seems to be a pretty good test of the overall food tastiness...though there aint much that don;t taste good with gravy. Peace.
Jeff

drinkin_buddy
07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
MMmmmm...gravy...oh yeah, where did you go fishing at? were you at the Lagoon?

Phisherman44
07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I was at the mouth of the lagoon, on the beach...perfect place for relaxation.

drinkin_buddy
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I have fished there several times. Love the spot even though it has not paid out for me yet. Last time I was there the guy next to me caught a beautiful 5' female leopard. It took him a good fifteen minutes plus to get that one in. He released her and we both were just taken back by the size and health. Perfect condition and thick, she'll make many more babies. Jealous as I was that I didn't hook that one... I too would of let her go, you kinda had to be there if you know what I mean.
In the near future I want to learn some spots for some surf perch and rockfish, there is so much good fishing in that area, I need to quit my job and become a local :D LOL .....maybe not but more time out there is in order....tight lines

Don

dogslayer
08-04-2008, 09:07 AM
How do you access the lagoon? where do you park? I have been over on Duxbury accessed from Agate beach but never the lagoon.

slowriprun
08-04-2008, 03:50 PM
The easy way is from hwy 1 right along it. there are a few pullouts. But to be honest the other side is way better, but much harder to gain access too.

MontanaN8V
08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Took the kids there on Sunday, no bites. Soaked squid for four hours, then went and picked seashells on the beach, and let the kids get wet. Great weather, and beautiful. Took the bbq and grilled up some burgers and hotdogs. Can't beat it.

Dday
08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Montana, where did ya soak bait at? the inlet or the laggon? How were the tides for those 4 hours?

MontanaN8V
08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
We were in the lagoon, near Stinson. Incoming when we got there, and fished til it was going out.

drinkin_buddy
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know if this matters but it's mating season and the squid may not cut it. The last time I was out I was using two poles and my father had one. Each pole had something different by the end of the trip. My pole had a midshipman, pole #2 was squid and my pop's pole was another midshipman. I hooked a dink and he unbuttoned just before the shore and left me the head. I was out of midshipman and so I rehooked the head and out it went. Bam.... fish on, a 44" plus leopard that was played and let go for another day. Recasted my lowly fish head out and bam! another leopard around four feet.Again released. This time I lost the bait so I switched to herring. While all this going on my squid bait was sleeping contently. Long story short, I didn't get so much as a nibble with squid or herring. Why I don't really know why but as we were getting ready to go, a nearby fisherman stopped by and he had the same luck with squid...nada. So take this for what it's worth, glad to hear you did some BBQ-N while there. It's a funplace with a lot to offer if you give it chance. Sorry I do not want to sound like a commercial for BO Bo Lagoon but it is a greast place to fish from shore. Thanks for the info, it keeps me updated as to what's going on......Tight lines....Don

MontanaN8V
08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I have heard that before, thanks for the info Don. Going to Fort Point Pier on the 16th for my sons and my bday. Then it is hunting season. Sharks are safe for a few months.

Dday
08-11-2008, 11:57 AM
hey DB, is there any special way you hook those midshipmen? head first, tail first or do ya cut em at all?

gomezfish
08-11-2008, 03:35 PM
where can i find midshipmen?

another thing , my best days fishing the north end mudflat have been on overcast days...i think when the suns beaming on the water it drives them deeper but then again im not jeac cuesteua

jpangie707
08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
"i think when the suns beaming on the water it drives them deeper but then again im not jeac cuesteua."

LOL!!! ;D ;D

MontanaN8V
08-12-2008, 07:31 AM
I think they are a myth, Yes, I will start that again!

drinkin_buddy
08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey guys,

* * * * * * * * sorry for the late reply but i was out of town for a few days. The midshipman I was using was frozen and I hook them behind the head about a half inch or so. They are really ugly critters with tough skin. They make for a great bait because they stay on the hook and you can cast them hard. The slime on them is a good thing as I was told a while back by one of our helpful guys here in this forum. The more the better. the hardest part is getting them. Call the local bait shops and see who has them. *I was told as of late that the bait guy that supplies my local shop was waiting for minus tides so he can go get them so I await patiently/desperately.... *:D >:(

Dday
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Right on for the info DB and welcome back!!!!

Hey I also heard they cost a pretty penny too huh?

drinkin_buddy
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
They are not cheap but they stay on the hook good and I caught two quality sharks with a head of one! I would just rehook it and dip it back in the bag to get the slime goodness all over it and back out it went. If I cannot get any the next time I go out, I am going to catch some red rock crabs and smack'em with a rock and on a hook they will go. Good luck to ya....tight lines

Don

Ugbomb
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Always with squidheads!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/ugbomb/IMG_1134-1-1.jpg
And a Grin!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/ugbomb/Shark.jpg

Dday
08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Nice!!!!

LIVAI
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
COOL, LIKE I SAY, I GOTTA GET OUT..I'M READY..THIS WEEKEND, IT'S ON..