PDA

View Full Version : Got Schooled

drinkin_buddy
06-15-2008, 06:04 PM
* * * Went to BoBo Lagoon today and fished the incoming tide for a few hours before having to come back to the reality of Father's day dinner with the family and the usual chores. The weathor was foggy and overcast but quiet and only a slight breeze. I loaded up my pole with my offering and casted away. It wasn't more than ten minutes later I felt a quick pull so I set the hook and the fun began. The fish pulled hard and started to run down current so I changed it's direction for a mere moment and back down with the tide he went. My reel was a screamin' at this point. I have caught my fair share of sturgeon in my day *and this was giving me a flash back. I have never hooked into a Leopard shark before so I do not know how hard one could pull. This fish seemed to be a picking up steam so I put some pressure on him to try to turn him back around when my rod *doubled over and then... thwack! my line snapped. He peeled off a good 75 yards or so what I thought, I was pretty excited at the time and got schooled by an older fish. Several things came to mind after this happened and I was wondering if the are rays in that lagoon and how hard does a Leopard shark pull in relation to a sturgie? *
* * *Next time I wont be so anxious to land him. The line I had on was Power Pro braided and I think it was old. I switched back to the Ol' spider wire and went heavier. What do you guys think? I never got a look, just a serious amount of pull power.

chagovatoloco
06-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Who is to say, it could of also been a big batray. At least you had a fun time.

slowriprun
06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey,
Could you feel any head shakes/thrashing/twisting, or was it pretty much a straight "grab and run like hell"? There are some HUGE rays in there, so yup you gotta give em the first big run, sometimes two big runs and then settle in for a tug a war.
David

drinkin_buddy
06-23-2008, 05:58 AM
That was just it...I did not feel any head shakes on the first run and when he went for more distance I felt a slight wiggle like a fish but not quite and thats when I thought about the possiblilites of it being a ray. This may be elementory to some but I have never caught a large ray or leopard shark to compare it to. The only real experience I have would be a sturgeon. Any info is appreciated....Don

The_Friskerman
06-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Sounds like a big ray. Reminds of of those times fishing the flats at point pinole as a kid. We'd fish for rays with 6'6" rods and 8-10 lb test lines. It was a blast!

drinkin_buddy
06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Yah, the more I think about it, I have to agree. I am waiting for some time to get a rematch! Don't want to keep 'em just get a face to face introduction. ;D

fishnvrnuff
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
heck maybe you'll get some of your gear back also. I want PICTURES

BIG_ONE
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
well, leopard got nothing on sturgeon, but when fishing for rays, always prepare, 80lbs test powerpro and over (same goes for sturgies), never know when the situation you just had is going to come in, over power is better than under power in your fishing gears ;D by the way, what rod and reel did you have on with you during that moment :D ;)

drinkin_buddy
07-15-2008, 06:35 AM
I used a 8'6" Redington Graphite with a Ambassador 6500 C4 loaded with 40# power pro and 30# mono backing. That sucker was strong. I have caught some stugies before and this was like hooking a passing submarine that wanted to mess with me. I started to panic when I saw my backing starting to show on my reel and I put to much pressure on him. It was a good wake up call for because it had been a long time since I had gone saltwater fishing or bay fishing. I made a recent purchase that I am drooling to break in and it is a Shimano Trevala Jigging rod 7' - TVS-70ML with a spinning reel -Quantum Boca BSP40 PTS spooled with 245 yards of 50# braid. Now all I need is some time to use it ....tight lines, Don

BIG_ONE
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
i'll still recommend 80# plus, but letsee how you'll do with the 50#, and yeah you can catch a couple sturgies with 40# test, but when the big mamma hits on, good luck ;D ;D ;D but redington, i think those are a little soft for going ray fishing, it may do, but when hooking a 50lbs plus ray, i don't know, its going to be some hard action going on, get some ugly tiger, or ugly custom for saltwater, those rod will never double over, 50# test will break before it can double over, well maybe it can double over, but its going to need some serious shark power instead ;D

drinkin_buddy
07-15-2008, 05:35 PM
This all started by going after Leopards and that is why I used the Rediton rod. Definately not my first choice for Rays but I was not expecting them, I was new to the area and was not thinking it through as to what could happen. I brought my Shakepeare Ugly Stick Tiger Rod with a Penn 320GTI spooled with 80# the last time I was out. That rod is my stugeon slayer. I put Squid on that one in hopes the ray will hit it like last time and the lighter rod I used Midshipmen (frozen). I will be using this combo on both rods untill I get the rematch and yes there will be pictures. I still need to learn how to do that, I just have been so busy with work. It looks like I will be working seven days a week untill August unless somebody's job isn't ready on time and then I will run for the salty air.... :D What rig do you like for sturgies? I will be looking into different gear most likely when I get going into fishing more consistenly, always like new shiney gear if I can afford it....Don

BIG_ONE
07-15-2008, 05:56 PM
sturgies gear, 80#-150# powerpro with coated wireline, usually bank fish so a lot of power using in it, slider rig all the way ;) 90% of my fishing is sliding rig, besides bass etc, anything that deals with lures ;D

Rivet
07-17-2008, 02:40 AM
here is my ray kit.

300 yards of 40# power pro. i think it is more important to have a lots of line to let the ray run then to just have super strong line and tow truck the the ray in.

$30 10' diawa d-wave rod

shimano 4500 baitrunner reel

awesome rod holder
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/saturntech/019.jpg

and here is what you get

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/saturntech/021.jpg

and

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/saturntech/018-1.jpg

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
yeah, its best to let it run, but at some point, you have to force them in or else you'll end up being spooled, so having a super strong line is pretty important also.

Dday
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I just started aiming for rays and sharks. I use my dino set up and so far had no problems. I use a 12' Daiwa EM-ES1202MHRS Emblem Surf Spinning Rod matched with a Shimano 6500b laced up with 300+ yards of 65# power pro.

I hooked up with some freight train rays and a few sharks... Set up holds nice. Works well for me...So far ;D

It's originaly for Dino's and works great but like i said, it handles Rays and sharks just as good.

Yes gear and terminal tackle is very important to be matched with what and where your fishing at or for, I thinks it's just as important if not more to know your rig and now how to give and take when fighting fish... What you learn and how you execute will always give you the upper hand.

When i started years ago, i pulled up a 72" dino with some no name brand 15#mono that was atleast 2 or 3 years old. maybe older :P
it was matched with a old kmart hand me down combo spinning rod and real in 25ft or so of water in the carquinez straight... With lots of patience and Drag set just right, i landed him :D... takes a little longer and yes, they can break off but what a blast it was!!!!

But i agreed with both light tackle and heavy tackle.. fishin is fishin, just gotta have fun ;D