PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Boardwalk?

Ugbomb
07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Have the anchovies arrived yet? Going on saturday and wanted to get some bait. :(

onelilcrazyazn
07-31-2008, 11:27 PM
they been comming but not alot jux a few here and there

Ugbomb
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Where do I look? Where the seagulls are fat huh? ;)

onelilcrazyazn
08-01-2008, 12:05 AM
jux trying going up and down the pier move if nothing is there and if they are there u would usually see the water glowing thats a school of them swing around

vdub
08-01-2008, 01:27 AM
go to capitola, there's plenty of them there

aznboi320
08-01-2008, 01:54 AM
not a lot of anchovies being caught today but it was enough to bait up for some hali. There are a crap load of baby crabs so try not to use a fish finder rig. My chovies and perch were being eaten alive >:(

blue_floater
08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
how has the mackeral bite been out there?

ghostfish_slayer
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
you can also use a dead man rig.. cast out a 2 oz pyramid sinker on your main line.. then clip on your float set up which is very easy.. 5-8+ feet of leader line depending on the depth you are fishing.. live bait hook, a splitt shot about 1.5 feet above the hook, then a slip float and a good snap lock above that. not a cheap one with no lock. clip it on and lift your rod a little let it slide down the main line. it keeps your bait off the bottom a few feet and keep your float straight out in front of you. no crabs and no craby fisherfolk when the wind blows the float over 5 other lines.. (the splitt shot gets the bait down faster to keep it away from the air bombers) the only hard part is getting used to the hook set. you have to wait untill the fish takes it untill the end of the mainline and hits the sinker before you can set up. as the fish is running reel slow and wait untill you feel the weight. if the fish is sitting on it is a little more difficult or if it is coming towards you.. you just have to reel slow and hope it holds on untill you can get to the end.
not a lot of anchovies being caught today but it was enough to bait up for some hali. There are a crap load of baby crabs so try not to use a fish finder rig. My chovies and perch were being eaten alive *>:(