PDA

View Full Version : Bat/Sting Ray Regs

fishnvrnuff
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Been looking through the F&G Regs and can't seem to find anything on the legal size, limit. You guys know? Anything would help at this point.

Going to Dillons beach here in a few weeks and want to be prepared.

fishnvrnuff
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I will take the lack of response that they may very well not be any regs on ray's. I guess i will just have to call F&G

BIG_ONE
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Let me know also, i was waiting for an answer on this thread too ;)

fishnvrnuff
07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Non Regulated Fish
Not a Fin Fish
but to be safe stick to the bag limit of 20 per day.
;D Hello scallops YUM

BIG_ONE
07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
so, the reg is 20 a day? or..is that your regulation??? ;D

fishnvrnuff
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
well he said that is wasn't a regulated fish, but just to be same stick to the 20 per bag limit.

BIG_ONE
07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
seems like its too much work for them to care about, but thanks anyways for calling them for check up, now its time to rip some lips and beer battered scallop tasting fish ;D

fishnvrnuff
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Y yes it is. This will be my very first trip for Ray's and shark. Never done it before but i hear it is a gas. Can't wait. Going to Dillons on the 31st.

BIG_ONE
07-16-2008, 04:53 PM
good luck out there! i still haven't plan out everything yet, but i'll be out soon, i hope. anyways good luck! go rip some lips! :D [smiley=yahoo.gif]

Dday
07-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Rays are a blast!!!! me and a couple friends went out to Ft Baker Pier 2 weeks ago. We went for some rays to do the catch and release thing! We hooked up a few Rays and had a blast... They will make your reel scream when the peel that line so HOLD ON!!! [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

I Love fishin for Dino's and just used the same set up's... It was my first time to going for Rays and I'll be goin again but gonna try Berkeley... I also picked up more tips from the Sniffer that I wanna try... Good luck and have fun 8-)

fishnvrnuff
07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah i'm doing a wire leader double hook set up. going to be throughing qhole squid at them. I'm also bringing my light spinner rod to catch makeral fromt he peir there. Going to use them for bait also. the rod i'm useing is my striper fiberglass rod. Should be a kick in the pants at least.

CDK
07-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Non Regulated Fish
Not a Fin Fish
but to be safe stick to the bag limit of 20 per day.
;D Hello scallops *YUM

If someone from DFG gave you the above info call them back and ask them about the below out of the book.

1.46. Finfish Defined. Finfish are defined as any species of bony fish or cartilaginous fish (sharks,skates and rays)

28.52. Big Skate, California Skate, and Longnose Skate. Big skates, California skates, and longnose skates are federal groundfish, as defined in Section 1.91, and thus are subject to special regulations as follows. Regulations in this Section do not apply to otherskate species.

27.60. Limit.

(a) General. No more than 20 finfish in combination of all species with not more than 10 of any one species, may be taken or possessed by any one person except as otherwise provided

or as defined in sub-section (c) below or in Section 195. See sections 27.70 through 28.62 for special bag limits'

fishnvrnuff
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I guess even the wardens can't know everything. thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't talking to the warden but someone else who called the warden in the area.

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
awww, so the bag limit is no more than 10 for 1 species, and 20 total for combination of shark, rays, and skates...
Like were going to catch 10 bat rays a day anyways ::) or can we? :o ;D

dogslayer
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I hear about people punching out scallops. what about the cartlidge in the middle of the wing? I have cut fillets and made tacos but I would like to know how you prepare the scallops.

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 02:52 PM
the famous beer battered fried ;D

dimpala95
07-18-2008, 05:45 PM
You have to filet the meat off the cartilage then cut into chunks or use a cookie cutter. I personally don't care if the meat is round or not so I don't use a cookie cutter. Don't forget to skin the meat after you remove it from the cartilage.

MB_Kevin
07-18-2008, 09:11 PM
When I was a kid my dad and I took one home. We had no idea what to do with it. He thought the meat was tough so he ran it threw a meat grinder and rolled it up into balls and deep fried it. I would not say it was great but edible. I am not recommending this but just telling the story ;)