PDA

View Full Version : sEVEN gILL

Ugbomb
07-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Anyone ever caught a large sevengill off the hayward shoreline? I just want to know cause I saw them in San Mateo. It would be nice to target them closer to my pad.

Thanks Boys!

fishingrick57
07-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Ya man, there out there. They bight hella soft though, not like a leopard. I just got a nice 30 in a couple weeks back.
Use the usual baits, but they seem to like chovies better ;)
I'll post a pic later....

Ugbomb
07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you get them at or around the marina? North Hayward, San Leandro. I just wanna know how far south they go.Tight, thanks for the info. I know where to catch midshipmen. How much does about 6 cost? Thanks :-?

Cal.Kellogg
07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
I used to live in San Lorenzo and I fished the area behind the water treatment plant at the end of Grant Avenue...I was out after leopards in the early spring and I kept catching spiny dogfish....Finally I got frustrated and since I was only planning on fishing for another half hour or so, I cut an 18 incher in half right behind the head and pinned the body on a 10/0 hook attached to an 80 pound test wire leader and pitched it out as far from the bank as I could cast using my surf rod.....Nothing is going to hit that I was thinking and 999 times out of 1000 i'd have been right.......Five minutes later something starts working on the bait, so I quickly open the reel's bait. Line starts to flow off the reel. I wait about 20 seconds, close the reel, allow the line to load and set the hook.....

It felt as if I hooked a log and the fight is on. The fish runs down the bank and I stumble along the levy giving chase. It almost spooled me twice (I was using a huge spinning reel loaded with 40 pound mono) but each time it turned back toward me at the last minute....For a long time I was sure it was a massive bat ray, but when I saw it's tail pop out of the water I knew it was some kind of shark....It took me about an hour but I eventually worked the shark up to the shore. I had a tough time landing it, but I finally got a grip on it's tail and hauled it ashore as a pair of mountain bikers cheered me on........It was a big seven gill with a mouth full of teeth!....I couldn't take it home whole on my mountain bike. I had to cut it up and take it home in pieces...I don't have an accurate weight, but after gutting it and removing the head (I still have the jaws someplace in my garage) and tail. I weighed the pieces using my mom's bathroom scale (she loved having me around the house!!).....the grand total came to about 106 pounds, so I figure it weighed about 118 pounds when it was alive...

So basically yes you can catch them off the bank in the Hayward area....I just don't know how often they venture that close to shore.....That was the only one I ever encountered big or small, but it was also the only time I used a 2 pound bait ;D ;D ;D

chagovatoloco
07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I would of loved to of seen that one come in!

fishingrick57
07-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Dang!!! 2 pound bait? Would love to see a shark from the bay that big.

You can also find them hanging around the dumbarton pier.

Hey Ug, where u finding the bullheads?