PDA

View Full Version : Vampire fishermen?

Rivet
05-08-2008, 02:35 AM
just wondering who else goes out into the dark and cold with belief that night time is the best time on a pier?

I manage a night club and because of that mid-night is noon to me. i usually don't get my lines wet till about 8 or 9 PM. the sky getting lighter is my sign to pack it up an head on home. one of the things i love most about late night fishing is how quiet the world seems at 1AM. there are not a lot of people out on the piers and it can be quite relaxing. So who else enjoys long nights of fishing?

GT
05-08-2008, 07:23 AM
I, like you enjoy fishing in the middle of the night. I enjoy it because I donít get exposed to the heat of the day and I get to fish many spots which no ones around. I do most of my night fishing from the sand and rocky banks chasing bass. The only negative part of midnight fishing is the potential to run into unruly folks who want to cause some trouble (This is only the case if you fish some hoods like Hunters Point or Point Richmond).

MB_Kevin
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I to have spent many of nights out on the Pier or shoreline! I think it is great. Especially if you have a designated driver [smiley=party.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

nayr
05-08-2008, 09:29 PM
night fishing is fun. You get to have a fire(depending where u go)... its almost like camping for a couple hours

chagovatoloco
05-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I have caught some one best fish at night, I love the peace too.

tarbuckle
05-12-2008, 08:25 PM
The only way to go when your banking for Sturgies.
I spent many all nighters under the Benicia/Railroad bridge. I would work in Benicia till 11 P.M. Fish till sun up, go home to Concord. Sleep. Wake up, go to work, and do it all over again. A low tide around 3:00 am always seemed to be my window of opportunity to hook into a beast.

A writer for the fish sniffer did a story on me when I hooked 4 keepers in Seven days under that bridge. With the largest going 135lbs. Of course this was twenty years ago and a keeper was 40 inches.

It's amazing what Sturgeon fever can do to a guy

I mostly remember the clear crisp mornings when the sun would come up and you could see the Sierras in all their glory.

Twenty years later, I don't see why you still can't score down there in the middle of the night on a low tide. January thru April was always the most productive.

Crass
05-12-2008, 10:43 PM
I usually end up goin at night, not by choice but thats the only time i can go to certain places or with my buddies. ive had some rad night fishing experiences, cant go wrong when you got a fire to hang by, but otherwise i dont like the cold.. thats the only downside to fishing at night.. if we had warm ass nights in the bay, itd be all id do at night. ;)

anglersaxon
06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Can anyone tell me where the closest place to night fish with a campfire to Rocklin would be? I can rig up for anything.
Thanks,
Dean

Double_D
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I love plugging the surf at night for Striper's.....but sometimes it can get a little spooky.

MontanaN8V
06-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Angler, I live in Rocklin, and for this board, one must head West. Drive until you hit ocean, fish. Pretty easy.

fbanaria
06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
The Carquinez Straits, San Pablo Bay, SF Bay, South Bay, and Pacific Ocean are all good spots to night fish, depending on the species you are after. In the summer and fall, these waters are teeming with just about any species that thrive in these water: sturgeon, stripers, halibut, and salmon, sharks, and rays.

Lately, however, except for sturgeon, halibut, sharks, and rays, stripers and salmon populations have dramatically decreased to a point where, because of habitat changes resulting from human activities, these species may have a hard time rebounding to the great numbers they used to have.

Nevertheless, fishing at night is exciting. You will be surprised how hard hitting the fishes are, especially the stripers, because they feel more secure and less wary feeding at night. Try it out!

Be careful however. It can get spooky, as DD said.

B. Popper

chagovatoloco
06-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I have fished the delta at night and had some great fishing.