PDA

View Full Version : Shark &/or Ray Places to Fish

MadBrewer
03-27-2008, 07:57 PM
The girls, (10&13) want to go out fishing this weekend &, I want to try something eles.

Work hasen't giving me a chance to do ANYTHING this Easter vacation &
haven't had the time to look at the boat & I'm thinking a little hard core,
night time, rock/bank fishing for shark/ray would satisify the "camping" that never happened :'(

Any locations/places to hit?

I'd LOVE to see thier faces catching a shark or ray,
(and mine remembering catching the "monster" shark
when I was 8-10 around Alameda,....2ft at the most).

Alameda rock wall, is that the rock wall south of the old naval docks?

GCinGV
03-27-2008, 08:55 PM
You can access the south side of the Alameda Rock Wall via the Encinal Boat Ramp. For directions look up Encinal high school in Alameda, itís right next to the ramp. The Rock Wall kind of surrounds the old Navy docks.
I donít know if they close the park at night or not though. You can call City of Alameda Parks and Rec. to find out.
I think it would be a good bet. Iíd stay in the South Bay right now.
Good luck and welcome.
GC

MadBrewer
03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tip, but,
Where in the South Bay

If your not a real local,.... terms like,
North Rock, Blue Piont, Bouy 39, etc mean nothing

Not trying to stomp one personal fishing grounds,
Just want a place to drive to that may be better than others
based on what the locals know better than one so my girls can catch
the "monster" 2ft shark,.....

(I have to stop the car truck somewhere),.....

Crass
03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
haha, i know whatcha mean with some of the names.
the directions for rock wall he said is pretty straight up..
as far as south bay, Coyote Point & San Carlos both have boat ramps.. oyster point is on the Peninsula.. theres a few spots along the peninsula you can pier fish with good results(usually) as well.. OP, Candlestick, etc..

its a bit early at the moment but should be picking up.

hope that helps some.

hookncook
03-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Bolinas lagoon use mackerel.i've never been skunked there

gomezfish
03-28-2008, 07:19 AM
is bolinas going yet?

GREENHEADROCKER
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Do you guys eat those rays? Or is it a catch and release thing? :o

MontanaN8V
03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Talked to a guy this week that said there are some leopards being caught in the south bay, not sure where exactly, but I have had some luck in Bolinas. I did get skunked a few trips, baitNbeer showed me the ropes, now, I can catch them, sometimes.

Crass
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
yeah, i forgot about Bolinas. dont know if its goin yet, but when it does, it does! seen some great stuff..

and i dont eat rays.. ive heard strong arguments for and against... anything from the meat you can get out tasting like scallops to soggy cat food. :o

gomezfish
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
im not no scientist but from my times out there it seems on a overcast summer day the bite is hot versus a hot sunny day the action is so n so

im serious my first time out there i sat on the bank and every 15 minutes my clicker would start screamin with 4 to 5 foot leopards on every time , fish and game showed up and watched me , said he felt like he was on a fishing show , that was good times right there , when the clicker screamed ide pull up and the shark would start splashin out the water , good stuff!

spent alot of money on gas to go out there but it was well worth it

GCinGV
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the tip, but,
Where in the South Bay

If your not a real local,.... terms like,
North Rock, Blue Piont, Bouy 39, etc mean nothing

Not trying to stomp one personal fishing grounds,
Just want a place to drive to that may be better than others
based on what the locals know better than one so my girls can catch
the "monster" 2ft shark,.....

(I have to stop the car truck somewhere),.....
Most anywhere in the South Bay (South of the Oakland Bridge) in general is better this time of the year for the salt water species then in the North Bay because of all the cold fresh water coming down the Sac. I donít shore fish down there so besides the Rock Wall Iím not aware of many shore access points in the South Bay. Not real sure exact locations are that important to be honest, those fish roam all over the bay. The Wall would be a good place to start I just don't know about the night access.
GC

kromebrite
03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
This year is a bit different as there is not a lot of fresh coming down, so SPB might be good earlier this year.
South Bay would be my first choice, though.
My first sharkin will be April 11th weather permitting. It will be South bay starting at Alameda rockwall and moving towards the Bay Bridge. May swoop down around Hunters Point.

The guys fishing Dumbarton usually do very well, I just don't like to moto way down there.

Crass
03-29-2008, 12:56 AM
rockwall is considered south bay.............? :-?

GCinGV
03-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Yes,anything South of the Oakland bridge.

MadBrewer
03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
Gave me some places to look into & needed info.

Went to McSwain instead for some lite bank fishing,
(a little pre-season warm up).
Took abit to get the girls to bait w/cut nightcrawers but,
like I told them, if you can't cut & bait a worm,
what are you going to do gutting a 'chove & squid?,
(they've baited cut 'chove, caught, cleaned, cooked catfish before),
& when the people next to us pulled a 16-20" trout, they weren't too squimished about baiting.

Thanks again

BTW, 2 sucker fish, 12-14" or so, they got fish, not bad for a shake down cruise

ratss427
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
been hitting the burlingame shoreline with my boys to kill some time til the stripers hit the surf.been getting into the sharks and rays pretty good.