PDA

View Full Version : Fort Point Pier Tomorrow

MontanaN8V
02-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Taking the kids crabbing and fishing there in the morning. Anyone fish there lately? Any dabs showing up? Perch? etc?

sethonious
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I'll be there Monday, let me know how you do.

MontanaN8V
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Went to the pier on Sat, one legal crab. Tried using cut fish for bait, did not work. An old man walked up to my son, had him reel in, and baited his hooks. Bang, lots of perch there on out. He was using blood worms, and gave me three to use for the kids. Wound up with some keeper perch, and one sanddab about four inches long. (let him go)

gmdcdvm
02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Old timers like that are awesome. I take my nephews with me on local boats down in San Diego when I visit. One year I took 3 of them out, between 7 and 9 years old. I was afraid of letting them each have their own rod since they didn't quite get how to use a conventional reel. I also didn't want to see one of my outfits get dropped over the rail on a big fish.

Well, we go into a school of 3 to 10lb bonito. All of a sudden I hear some of the old timers/regulars in the back of the boat start yelling at me "Send me one of the kids". For the next hour they proceeded to hook and hand off bonito to the kids. They wanted yellowtail, and were more than happy to hand off bonito/macks to the kids. By the end of the day they all had about 8 to 10 fish each, and their clothes were spotted with fish blood. Needless to say they were hooked on fishin after that. I couldn't thank the old timers enough for helping me out. Offered to buy them food or beers from the galley and they declined. They said they just had fund watching the smiles on their faces all day. It was a nice gesture, and one that I haven't forgotten when I'm on a boat with kids on board.

Gerry