PDA

View Full Version : Dungeness from Pier

smilin_wide
01-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know where we can crab for dungeness crabs in the area. I know it has to be outside the GATE but I personally don't know of any piers that allow it. Are there any?

Thanks and keep smilin

vdub
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
pacifica is one of the more popular piers, but i dont know the oil spill is holding up now

fbanaria
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
The reports out of Pacifica did not indicate any areas affected by the oil spill, just like it did not affect Half Moon Bay and the other areas south of the Gate.

I suggest you wait out until after this series of storms pass through, which is next weekend. Crabs go out to deeper water and bury themselves under the sand. That is their way of heading for cover during the storms.

keelhaulinrob
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
but yea most def pacifica pier would be a good pier to go out on. but i agree wait till after the storm or you might get wet.

abdiver12
01-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Pacifica pier is definitely the place to go but make sure you use a crab snare with rod because that's the method that works best there. *Much better than crab hoops. *Very end of the pier is the best location and you'll pick up some good tips (and equipment) from the old pros who hang out there.

smilin_wide
01-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the help. A crab snare? Is that the little bait-box that you attach to your pole? WHat makes it a better choice? Distance? Seal problems?

Thanks for all the help.

Keep Smilin'

fbanaria
01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, that's the one that looks like a bait cage with wire loops/snares all round the cage. You attach the baited cage to your line (make sure the cage is weighted with a sinker about 3-4 ounces) and just cast as you would when bait fishing. You can cast near or far, just vary your distance when you don't get any bites. Leave your bait out for about 5-15 minutes.

Keep your line taut and watch for few small twitching movements on your rod tip. This will usually indicate that a crab has found your bait and is now feasting on your offering. Yank your pole hard to close the wire snares and retrieve on a steady and slow methodical way. Don't give any slack on the line as the loops may open. The loop or loops would have locked the leg or legs of the crab. Retrieve your line all the way up to the pier.

Where to buy these snares: The bait shops in Pacifica have them, or you can ask around on the pier. A few regulars at the end of the pier sell these snares.

Bait to use: I found squid works best for crab snares. This bait oozes out its juices faster than chicken, and this is what you want for this type of crabbing. The faster they find your bait the better for you. Rebait with fresh squid again if needed.

Where at the pier: From the middle to the end of the pier on both sides.

Advantage of crab snares to crab net: Ease of use and the varying distances you can cover through casting in different spots. Hence, you can find the crabs yourself, versus the crabs finding where your crab net is.

Happy crabbing to all!

Brat Popper

Crass
01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
If i ever meet ya on the Pier, i can show ya how me and my buddy make our own snares for WAAAAAY less than $5 a pop.

Since nets count as a line, i like to bring a pole with a snare and drop the net for giggles. south side of the pier is better than north usually, and watch out for that damn sandbar. about right in the middle.

if these damn swells die down they'll keep the pier open.. but theyve been closin it every chance they get.. prolly coz it really needs repairs but they refuse to spend the money.. but hey, a wheelchair path up a giant hill and remodling a pump station? the millions are endless to spend. >:( not like we dont have one of the most popular piers in california or anything.

be careful too.. occasionally youll get busted hard with a stupid overhead/inboard cast violation.

smilin_wide
01-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow!

This is great. I was reading about the overhead/inboard violation but am not clear as to what it is. It sounds like you can't cast overhead. CAn you sidecast?

Please explain.

Keep Smilin'

MB_Kevin
01-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Wow!

This is great. *I was reading about the overhead/inboard violation but am not clear as to what it is. *It sounds like you can't cast overhead. *CAn you sidecast?

Please explain.

Keep Smilin'
No over head or side casting. It is not that big of a deal I just swing the weight under the pier then flip it up and out.

Brat popper is right about the 3 to 4 oz weight on the snare. I tried it once without it and the thing just gets flung all over. How do you do it? Put the weight in the cage with the squid or attach it to the outside?

Crass
01-06-2008, 12:38 PM
put it in the snare(cage). Especially if you use a smaller sized one.

i always see people cast overhead.. heh, just gotta do the "DFG Look". Left, right, nobody to bust ya? zoom!

Hey MB(hah, i hope i dont have to yell that down the pier one of these days.. id get odd looks), do you know if the steelhead in the creek are protected year round? i heard theyre not.. or might not be at all anymore.. i know its poluted so you dont wanna eat em.. but fishing 100ft from my house would be awesome. (too bad its poluted, too.. lotsa crawfish.)

MB_Kevin
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey MB(hah, i hope i dont have to yell that down the pier one of these days.. id get odd looks),

I'm used to it. people walk up to me fishing and say hey are you master baiter all the time ;D I think it must be funny when they do it and the guy is not me :-?

do you know if the steelhead in the creek are protected year round? i heard theyre not.. or might not be at all anymore.. i know its poluted so you dont wanna eat em.. but fishing 100ft from my house would be awesome. (too bad its poluted, too.. lotsa crawfish.)

Ive always wondered that to. I see it in the pacifica tribune about them being in the creek but don't know when or even exactly where. I figured it would be illegal to fish for them anyways. If you find out we can I want to check it out.

Crass
01-06-2008, 10:56 PM
theres some big ones in there that hang on the west side of the fish ladder under the Adobe bridge. they get fat coz people feed em bread and stuff like crazy. i swear i saw in a DFG report about it they said there were coho in there too. :o that i dont belive so much.. but you never know. i tried looking on their site but its slow and the searches yeilded nothing but reports on what they spend on maitanence.