PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting Worms Help?

EastBayAngler
12-05-2007, 08:38 AM
29.05. General.
(a) Except as provided in this article there are no closed seasons, closed hours or minimum
size limits for any invertebrate. The bag limit on all invertebrates for which the take is authorized
and for which there is not a bag limit otherwise established in this article is 35. In San Francisco
and San Pablo bays and saltwater tributaries east of the Golden Gate Bridge invertebrates may
not be taken at night except from the shore.
(b) Take of all invertebrates is prohibited within state marine reserves. Take of certain invertebrates
may be prohibited within state marine parks and state marine conservation areas as per subsection
632(b). In addition, tidal invertebrates may not be taken in any tidepool or other areas
between the high tide mark (defined as Mean Higher High Tide) and 1,000 feet seaward and
lateral to the low tide mark (defined as Mean Lower Low Water) except as follows: ...
(1) Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine
conservation areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone,
limpets, moon snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters,
octopuses, squid, crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins and worms except that no
worms may be taken in any mussel bed, unless taken incidental to the harvesting of mussels.
(c) Measuring Devices. Every person while taking invertebrates which have a size limit shall carry a
device which is capable of accurately measuring the minimum legal size of the species taken.
(d) In all ocean waters skin and Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) divers
may take invertebrates as provided in this article except that in all ocean waters north of Yankee
Point (Monterey Co.), SCUBA may be used only to take sea urchins, rock scallops and crabs of
the genus Cancer. For the purpose of this section, breathing tubes (snorkels) are not SCUBA.

Does this mean you can get worms in San Pablo bay as long as you do not harvest them in a mussel bed? And NO Bag limit? Or am I trippen.???

As I understand it it says worms are OK except for the ones in the mussel beds? :-?

I remeber going threw this a few years ago and it is still unclear if I can keep worms. ;D ;D

HELP? thx... ;)

EBA

Muddler
12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
No I don't think your trippin.The worms in the bay are O.K.for diggin.The mussel beds were getting stripped at the coast from people looking for worms which exist together,in fact the use of clorine bleach was a method of getting the worms to exit said mussel beds.Not a good thing.I harvest them by turning over rocks in the bay at low tide.a favored perch bait. Most all bay fish will eat a fresh *bay worm. Some diggers don't when enough is enough though in my opinion.

EastBayAngler
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
No I don't think your trippin.The worms in the bay are O.K.for diggin.The mussel beds were getting stripped at the coast from people looking for worms which exist together,in fact the use of clorine bleach was a method of getting the worms to exit said mussel beds.Not a good thing.I harvest them by turning over rocks in the bay at low tide.a favored perch bait. Most all bay fish will eat a fresh bay worm. Some diggers don't when enough is enough though in my opinion.

I go out to PT.Pinole and dig worms at low tide and take them to the pier and fish perch! Some have said that this is less than legal and others say its OK! These regs are the only ones I can find pertaining to harvesting worms so I would like a few points of view...Good or bad!
Thanks

EBA

MB_Kevin
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
I was fishing Oyster point one time and the Pile worms were swimming all over. I caught a couple out of the water but they seemed to fall apart easily. I was thinking maybe if they were refrigerated first.

As I understand it as long as it is not in a mussel be it should be OK. It can be hard for me to understand the way it is written. I have learned alot more on here then I ever did from trying to read the regs book.

gomezfish
12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
what worms?

Fish_R_Us
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
We use to get alot of pileworms when we were clamming at the San Mateo Bridge/Foster City area. We use to dig right underneath the fishing pier in the muddy sand between the rocks. There's alot of the same type areas between Foster City and Burlingame that are not in any mussel beds. I've also noticed that sometimes the pileworms are soft and tear quite easily. I wonder if those worms start dying after they spawn.