PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 1st time crabbing at SF Piers

LuckyIrishFan
02-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Hello fellow Sniffers!

A couple of my friends are planning to go crabbing next week somewhere along the SF pier area. This is my first time, and I want to make sure that I'm doing everything legal. I have the equipment, I'm just not sure what type of crab we can or can't keep, and as far as size goes I have the measurement. Is there a limit of crabs we can keep? Do I need to bring my fishing license with me? And most importantly, how would I properly transport and store the crab so as to not let it spoil. Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. Oh and last question, is the SF pier a good place to get some decent crabs or should we go to another place?

GUSANO
02-11-2010, 02:37 AM
If your fishing within SF bay, you can only keep Red Crabs. No dungeness crab may be kept in SF bay waters (within golden gate).

My advice is go to Pacifica pier. There you can fish for Dungeness crabs and keep them. There might be a lot of people though.

For Dungeness: Minimum size: Five and three-quarter inches measured by the shortest distance through
the body from edge of shell to edge of shell directly in front of and excluding the points (lateral
spines)
Limit: 10

For Red Crabs: (any combination) 4" measured by the shortest distance through
the body from edge of shell to edge of shell directly in front of and excluding the points (lateral
spines). Limit is 35 in any combination.

Remember though. only 10 Dungies, and 35 Red crab per person. Have a crab gauge with or you can get cited for not having one.
~

GUSANO
02-11-2010, 02:38 AM
You'll find more info here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/sportfishing_regs2009.asp

~

GUSANO
02-11-2010, 02:40 AM
On pacifica pier you don't need a license. When I go crabbing, I bring them back in a bucket with no water. Cook immediately when I get home. Pacifica to Oakland, about 30-40 minute drive.
~

fishingfanatic
02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
get a crab gauge!

ff

Rather_B_Fishin
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
You'll need a bait cage to protect your bait from seals, can be cold so bring something to keep urself warm..have fun and good luck! 8-)

LuckyIrishFan
02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
You guys are awesome, thanks for sharing all of your experience and wisdom. Much appreciated and I am extremely greatful for any and all of the advice from the veteran fishermen. FISH ON ;D!!!

FishnBeer
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
if ur gonna go to pacifica you should check weather first and make sure there arent any "high surf" adviseries. they close down the peir time to time when the waves are poundin it good. water will actually splash up and over the ledge, and you can feel the whole thing swaying around.

not my idea of a good time

Fishin_the_swampz
02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I recommend getting 2 crab guages (different brands) because some gauges (especially the blue ones) have been coming up short. Doesn't hurt to double check...