PDA

View Full Version : Bodea Head/Bay area.

Western_fisher
02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Does anyone know what kind of fish are in the Bodea Head/Bay area?

triggerfish
02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
There is only shore fishing for rockfish,and perch. right now.* The boats only run for crab and squid, this time of year. Boat fishing starts in June with rock fish.There used to be tons of salmon to be had there.There is a run of halibut that shows up on the beach in summer.and from time to time Albacore show up. I used to fish it a lot,when there was salmon! :(

Fishbutt21
02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
The only fish that is open to catch in Bodega bay this time of year is perch,smelt and sand dabs and rockfish is only open from shore

Western_fisher
02-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Okay, thanks!!

RockRob
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm kind of confused on all these new marine sanctuaries that are going to go into effect or are in effect now, but is Bodega Head on the list and will it remain fishable?

Uncle_Sam
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
I saw the map once. As I recall the the sanctuary is off the west shore of Bodega Head. I have never seen anyone fishing there from shore. I have always wanted to try it though. All the shore fishing I have seen from Bodega Head is from the jetties. The jetties will remain fishable. I have never seen anyone catch anything from the jetties either.

RockRob
02-10-2010, 05:38 AM
I fished the west side of bodega head once about a year and a half ago and didnt have any luck but it looked very fishy. I was hoping to give it a go again once the swells start to die down a bit but I sort of remember seeing that part marked as a new sanctuary as well. Damn, oh well, thanks.

GNappers
02-10-2010, 03:55 PM
People catch monkey face eels in between the rocks in the jetty and in front of the Coast Guard Base. They use tall bamboo poles and attach a wire hanger to the end that has been wrapped around and straightened with a loop at the end. Then they attach a heavy duty leader like 100 lbs. test and a hook with a strip of squid. I have tried with sticks before but only caught a small rock cod. You need to get deep between the rocks at higher tides and you need the heavy duty leader because they can grab the rocks. In fact I think it is time for me to get out there and try to get some of them because I have heard they are good eat's.

nickjew1
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
You can catch some monkeyface pricklebacks by using a rod and reel with 40 pound mono and a hook with a 1 oz cannonball weight 3 inches apart. I just drop the weight with a size 2/0 hook baited with squid into holes on low tide. You can try that, or poke poking with a long stick.

sharks101
02-13-2010, 05:53 AM
the shark fishing is good at tomalas.headed that way in about an hr for the weekend.