PDA

View Full Version : am i to late?

dogfish
02-24-2010, 05:46 AM
this is my first post.
in y'alls opinions does trout fishing end after winter in our lakes like comanche and pardee? or do y'all simply change your approach. ive finally got my boat and gear together and im stoked. i dont have sonar yet but i still feel like i can hit something on top. am i right in assuming people just start going deep towards the summer? or should i just turn my attention towards catfish which i have an alarming attraction to!!
i feel like an attic who dosent know where to cop.
any repies are appreciated!

ibanezax
02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
:) Welcome.
You'll need a FF. Trout go where the temps are right for them , in the summer they maybe deep because thats where the water is cool. FF will help you locate them and what depth to fish. Good Luck!

Team Mc Fishing
02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Trout like a thermocline temp of 48-52 degrees. You would do best with a sonar unit and even a dual downrigger setup. The fish will go deeper to where they have the best oxygen concentration for their species. I am sure you will be able to catch trout in those lakes because Pardee is only open from Feb-Oct, so that is when they are planting trout. If you like the trout fishing then you could also get into kokanee fishing as well, similar fishing setups and downriggers and they bite the best during the summer. If you haven't tasted kokanee then you don't know what you are missing. Any questions on some of these setups or information you would like just PM me and I will tell you a little more of how I setup for the summer.

waterdog
02-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Trout fishing justs gets started after winter. Spring, summer and fall are the best times. If you are new to the trout fishing with boat and downriggers I suggest that you go out once with a guide. Not cheap but you can learn more in a day with a good guide than you will with years of trial and error on your own.
There are lots of good guides but based on personal experience I would suggest Dale Daneman of Dales Foothill Fishing Guide Service. He will take his time with you and teach you just about everything you will need to know. In addition you will have a great time catching trout (or kokes) He guides on numerous valley and foot hills lakes. His phone # is 530 295 0488.
Waterdog :)

RolandMartinJr.
02-24-2010, 07:11 AM
As for Camanche and Pardee you can get them during the hot summer months but you gotta get down deep with downriggers and your best catch rate is usually early in the morning when it is cool. As for the East Bay lakes the trout fishing is dead come June (actually depends on the weather and how long it takes for the water to heat up), but they stop planting during the last week of may so that puts the trout fishing to a hault until October when the lakes cool down. In my opinion February is the best month to fish the east bay lakes followed by March and April, and tapers as summer approaches.

Legalbeagle
02-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Depends on where you live. I live in the Sacramento area, so it's Amador, Comanche, Pardee, etc in the winter through early spring then, much prefered, sierra lakes in the late Spring through fall. I prefer the sierra lakes--nicer scenery and less chopped up fins. Hike to a high sierra lake for the best experience. Pack a raft in and catch the fish that have never seen a hook!

Basically, if you stay in the lower elevations, you'll have to go deeper to find cooler water as the seasons warm up. You'll need a fishfinder and likely a down rigger to find the fish. The higher you go, the cooler the water is and less need for all that stuff, though a fish finder is always a must for me.

dogfish
02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
thanks waterdog,for the number . i was very much wanting to do just that!! i might have that extra 150? in a week from now and if i do , im calling your dude. thanks to every one else too! i like this website very much and cant wait to put up a pic of a fatty!!

icehouse
02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Your right on time.Better weather and beter fishing are right around the corner now.Good luck dogfishboy.
KingKong

Jason
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
What I do is fish Pardee from now until May, than head up to the higher elevation lakes. If you don't have electric downriggers, it's a pain going down deep at Pardee with hand cranks. Dale is a great source of information. Everytime I go to one of his seminars, I learn something new.

Sawdog
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Does Dale have a web site?

twoelk48
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Right now is the time to get after trout from the surface to 30 feet down either toplining or using leadcore with spoons like Excels, Rapalas and Speedy Shiners. The last fe days have been great. Kent

waterdog
02-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Does Dale have a web site?

dalesfoothillfishing.com/

Waterdog :)