PDA

View Full Version : *$*%& Folsom 1/2

skunk-monkey
01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
If the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...ahh...I'm not quite there but I'm close. Am now 0-for-my last four Folsom trips. My buddy says admit defeat and go to Camanche. I say, now it's a quest! So I'm not going to stop going until I get something or my buddy hides my gear.

There are fish to be had. One guy had four decent planter-sized rainbow. He was using small-ish Needle-fish and Triple Teazer style spoons with light colored bellies and darker backs, top-lined about 150' back. My son and I were trying that too (in a variety of of color combos and lure styles). Had three take-downs but nothing stuck. Only one was a real good rip.

Also had one rod on a down rigger with a rolled shad behind a small chrome flasher hoping for a lingering big King which, truth be told, is the real reason I keep going back out there. But that rod didn't get a tug. Varied it's depth from 15 to 50' but it's tough going too deep because there are so many old snags, not to mention the erratic depths themselves (although I'm definitely learning where the river channels are and am getting good at staying within them.)

Sorry this isn't much of a report but ya can't weigh in with just the good trips--especially if you haven't had any in a while! And really, ANY day on the water that you don't sink is a good day.

trebleface
01-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Dont give up, especially on fishin. When I get skunked I get frustrated but there has to be something simple youre doing wrong. Take your rig all apart n start all over. Try different colors, lengths, anything. I watch other anglers ask questions, pay attention to feeding bird behavior. The more I get skunked I say to myself they have to eat oneday, so the next day try harder. After all the time you studied with what you learned you can nail any lake.

SteelyDon
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Today was just 1 of those days at Folsom. I was out there 10-4 and didn't get squat either with a buddy we had 3 pole trolling lead core 5 colors out with broken bak, a spoon & spinner about 10-15 ft down...NADA. NY Eve limited out doing the same thing, so they're in there. Got to the dock and talked to a Bass Dude he said NY Day there was a tourny/derby and the lake was packed. I'm just taking today as all the fish were spooked and ran for cover after seeing everything in the book/box the day before. Line in the water = more fish... ::)

King James
01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey! Folsom isn't an easy place to fish. I've been fishing it off and on for a while now....sorry to say I've pretty much been skunked many more time's than not. I know there are quality fish somewhere, but it's such a hit and miss. If it's a hit there seem's to be no rhyme or reason, thus if you try it the next time it's a new ball game. Does anyone know anybody that has a consistent catch at folsom....if so please share some of your secrets as it's such an inviting place to fish!!

2sanchezs
01-02-2010, 01:57 PM
King James

Fished Folsom today with only five in the boat. Folsom is a go to lake when I'm looking for quick and easy fishing day. The Blue moon(2ND Full Moon N same month) didn't help. When I hit the lake went to the point and ran the channel. The channel's, where they meet points are the go 2's for me. Lures 3.0gps to 3.5gps hot color was the rainbow F9 top lined 158'. The fish there just swim up and down those channel's circling from point to point in the main body. My Fav, Folsom Point, good luck.

trollin4life 8-)

Good Carma
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Skunk Monkey- Just a thought, but you might want to try simply changing your screen name...

916towerguy
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I uaually do good at folsom this time of year fishing infront of granite bay from the low water ramp upstream to the first bend.
My go to set up is a apex usually purple and silver vance dodger with a chunk of shad with shad scent.
Like was said above folsom is a love hate lake. You can be a hero there one day and a zero the next few outings.

skunk-monkey
01-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Trailin it: the rig that got two of the three hits was a purple/silver Kokanee bug behind a sep's watermelon sidekick dodger. I went to it after trying several different spoons, so maybe that indicates something. (What, I have no idea!) But it did closely resemble in size and color the small shad the fish are chowing on out there (the guy I'd spoken with at the launch showed me one in his boat).

Good Carma: I believe in truth-in-advertising ;D. Plus, speaking of Karma, I believe the fish gods prefer us to be humble. I'm still waiting for actual evidence of that, though.

wkokaneeman
01-03-2010, 03:43 AM
The full moon has a large part of a dead bite! Do you smoke, are you eating, did you get gas or oil on your hands. Keeping your hands clean is also a key to success! Keep at it. Keep these things in mind, and you'll have success!

Green_Bay
01-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Fished from 9 to 1 Sat. It was real slow. Caught a planter by d**e 8 about 10:30 on dodger/worm.
Moved out over river channel out from mormon Island. Had an orange grub on top get hit hard about 11:00. After my son's lengthy battle I net a nice 18" holdover. That was it, but worth the trip.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/Green_Bay/Folsom010210.jpg

DOG
01-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Skunk-monkey: Sounds like you either troll for them or don't go. Have you considered draging bait......( Did I just say the four letter word, bait ) My buddy and I have killed them at our local lake thay way when all else failed we have been able to salvage a day that way. I'm kinda with you though, when I get my butt kicked I take it personal. I go home and just keep thinking....should I have been just hitting points, was I to deep, to shallow, maybe island tops, inside cuts, drop off's ect. After about 2 days of no sleep I usually put together a plan and hit it again, I can't let those little knuckle heads win,...NEVER GIVE UP. ( Mike Iconeli ) ;)