PDA

View Full Version : melones 12/28

Tigerfox
12-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Fished for the first time in a year.......long story. But what a day to come back. First i hit angles cove in glory hole at 6:30. Got 1 in a half hour, about 2 1/2 lbs. Nice hold over. Got nothing for the next hour. So i left and went to tuttletown. I read that they were hitting before christmas.
And that wasn't a lie. I had to put my second pole away so i could get a second to breath. I was told by another angler that they closed down hecty fishery due to bad water. So they poured tons of fish into melones and tullock. Mostly the big ones in tullock.

I got over twenty, kept 3 and left with arms hurting. I used gulp eggs, mostly green. But from what i was told, you throw a marshmallow and you get one one.

Not many keepers, but the kids will have fun and you'll get a workout. Sorry no pics, forgot a camera. Good luck and tight lines.

Bigg A
12-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Thats a good day when your arms are hurting!!!

Fish_Bully
12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Glad you got out to fish! Don't wait another year to go again. LOL

Regarding the Hetch Hetchy shutdown, I have heard may false reports on this, from powerhouse turbine repairs to bad water. I am employed by Hetchy at Moccasin and pretty close to these things. Hetchy water goes through a shutdown each winter. What is uncommon this year is the 45-day shutdown duration (most years, only a few days). No turbine repairs or bad water, in fact, Hetchy water is so pure it is exempt from filtering. Recently, there were new governors commissioned at the powerhouse, not a reason for the shutdown, conversely, we needed to complete startup of the new governors while the water was still running (need water to generate power). The reason for the shutdown is for CIP (Captial Improvement Projects). Mainly way downstream at the Tesla treatment facility in South Tracy, where construction is ongoing for the 3rd largest UV treatment facility in the US. The Hetchy water shutdown is scheduled for Jan 4th, so nothing has shutdown as of yet. And yes, this lengthly shutdown means the fishies have to go. To Melones, Tulloch,......... The planting of some good quality trout have many reporting on Melones "holdovers". They truely are gorgeous planters.

Flip

Team Mc Fishing
12-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Well that's like info straight from the fishies mouth!
Good to know that is the case, since we have heard some many various stories recently on these so called "holdovers". Thanks for the info!

fishingaddict
12-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Congrats on a great day, thanks for sharing. I think it's time I get out to melones.

Chadzilla
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
A lot of those "holdovers" are from the Kokanee Power pens at Melones as well, which does actually qualify them as holdovers I suppose. Regardless, congratulations on getting into some fish!