PDA

View Full Version : Lake Merced SF

kodomokid
09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi All,

Still new to the forums. Finding great info here tho.

I see from DFG that they plant at lake Merced in SF. Has anyone fished there? When I have driven past, no one is fishing and the water looks very unpleasant. I read that the water is a little brackish due to the fact it is so close to the pacific. Can anyone offer some info if it is even worth trying. Thanks Brian

Texan211
09-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I fished Lake Merced for no luck, you should stay away.... My opinion and the opinion of many others is that it really isn't worth fishing in Lake Merced. It would be better off if you went to one of those clean reservoirs like Chabot, Del Valle, or Los Vaqueros or a big clean lake or something like that. My neighbor caught a rainbow trout from Lake Merced one day, we cooked it and it tasted like* :-X... Not a good lake to fish in and I'm not too sure why they keep stocking..

kodomokid
09-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi Texan. Thank you for the advice. I was going to try for catch and release in a lake like that. Guess it's not worth it. Been having luck with fall crappie so I guess I will stick with that. Thanks again.

tejedarichard
09-17-2009, 02:30 AM
I took my kids there a few weeks ago because I heard they stocked it. I went to the wrong parking lot and there was no way to get down. Someone told me to go to the other parking lot and I could get down. After looking at the lake and the vegetation for some reason I was turned off. Now let me tell you I don't get turned off easy by a body of water. ;D

PapaGreg
09-17-2009, 07:21 AM
:)Insearch, where have you been crappie fishing?

HBFishin
09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I used to live blocks from Merced. Went fishing a few times there... skunked each time. After a while of seeing what goes down I figured out why.
Birds - they eat all the planters like crazy.
People - right after a plant there is no room on the shore, elbow to elbow. Combat fishing.
So, within days of the plant there is nothing.
Take the drive out to Chabot, San Pablo, or Del Valle.

SmokingKokanee
09-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey no offense to ya'll..but you must not read the "sunday chonicle" and Tom Stienstra Reports on this lake for nearly 15 years now!!!
It was one of the Very sad cases in this state where the DFG..HAS FAILED AGAIN DUE TO POLITICS AND A SUPPOSED LACK OF CASH! HUMM???
This lake was a gem of the inner citys and an example of a "GREAT FISHERY" Gone to THE DIRT!..
Better off not fishing this lake on either side... take yur girl or kids for a walk their@ a waste of fishing !

Texan211
09-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Smoking I actually did see reports on how great the lake used to be and it did sound like a great fishery back in the good old days.

Mackattack
09-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I was there yesterday and the lake was solid green. Probably some big bass in there competing with the resident gator some one tossed in there a few years ago. There may be a monster trout in there but ?

Mackattack

Full Monte
09-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Back in the '60s and '70s, my Dad used to catch a lot of 3-5 lb. trout at Merced. He rented a boat and trolled. I lost a 5 lb trout there once myself. That's a long time ago. The water was always green.

The Reel Deal
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Lake Merced used to be a great Lake. i learned to Fish there with my Dad and Granddad. they had great fishing, a nice concession stand/Bait shop and a dedicated group of regulars. I was always amazed to have such a great lake right in San Francisco.

They ran into problems, here is a good article on the downfall of the lake by Tom Steinstra:

http://www.lmtf.org/FoLM/Press/stienstra/stienstra_030399.html

kodomokid
09-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I read somewhere that either city of sf or dfg added a lot of chemicals to kill off invasive fish as well as native. It is sad. I always see DFG restocking so wondered what the fishing was like. Thanks guys for your input. Sad what happens to nice areas. But i guess we only can blame ourselves ultimately. When I say ourselves I mean humans in general. Good luck fishing this fall. Can't wait for the restock of some ofthe smaller lakes in November.

jesballs
09-24-2009, 04:06 AM
i fished this lake back in the 80s when i was a kid . i remember grabbing a book on how to fish northern califonia at the library and finding out there was a lake in my own back yard i could fish at!!.Caught my first fish there and was put up on the wall at the bait shop ive been hooked on fishing ever since. this lake was a very good lake back then and kept me out of trouble. Its sad to see its gone so down hill and todays inner city kids wont be able to fish it. :'(